• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

Favorite TJB Release of 2005

What Was Your Favorite TJB Release of 2005?

• The Lonely Bull

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • South Of The Border

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Whipped Cream & Other Delights

• !!Going Places!!

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • What Now My Love

• S.R.O.

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Sounds Like...

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Herb Alpert's Ninth

• The Beat Of The Brass

• Christmas Album

• Lost Treasures

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bacardi

With 2005 just about at an end, let's see which of the TJB reissues were the favorites of the year.

Capt. Bacardi
...looking forward for more TJB in 2006...

This was a hard one, as I was highly anticipating both "Sounds Like" and "9th." SL barely inches ahead in the "most wanted" category for me.

I think The Herb Alpert & TjB Christmas Album :bigsanta: will always be MY favorite reissue; so hard to really pick-a-favorite outta the rest, otherwise!

...as for a "Second-Fav", lemme think... :|:cool:

Dave

I picked SRO although Going Places will always be THE TJB album for me. I already had the Japanese issue of GP, but I really wanted better copies of Mexican Road Race, Wall Street Rag, Work Song, For Carlos, Freight Train Joe and of course the awesome Flamingo than I could get from my LPs. Now, if only 2nd, Coney Island, and The Brass Are Coming appear to make 2006 a truly happy new year!!

Phil

LOST TREASURES is an easy pick as it's got all the "new" stuff on it, and I have to admit it's the one I've listened to most. As such, it certainly deserves the attention its gotten, and surely is my "honorable mention" pick, but of the standard album issues this year, I'd have to vote for ...SOUNDS LIKE...

As an album that's never before seen CD release, it was the first standout release for me, and boy was it a good one. Exquisite mastering and first class treatment really made these old recordings shine. Kudos to Herb and Bernie Grundman for getting it right, and thanks to Shout! Factory for releasing it.

...SOUNDS LIKE..., my pick for 2005 TjB reissue.

Harry

I've altered the title a bit, since Lost Treasures isn't technically a "reissue".

I did vote for Lost Treasures for pretty much the reasons Harry stated, even though there are a couple of songs on that CD that I didn't like at all ("Flowers On The Wall" and "Popcorn", for example). Sounds Like... and Ninth are strong contenders since this is their first appearance on a CD.

Capt. Bacardi
...eagerly awaiting the 2006 releases, online...

For me it's down to a choice between SRO, SL, NINTH and LOST TREASURES because I didn't care too much about LONELY BULL and already had the rest on CD. Still, a very difficult choice.

I would have to say the album I have gained the most appreciation for this year is NINTH. I used to think it was kind of a tepid album, but I've probably popped it into the player more than any other this year.

But, I think I probably have to go with LOST TREASURES too, since it gave us so many "new" TJB tracks and whetted our appetite for all the things to come.

I had to go with LT, but SL was a tremendous surprise...I rediscovered THE CHARMER and TREASURE OF SAN MIGUEL. Also, BOTB was close to SL with A BEAUTIFUL FRIEND and SHE TOUCHED ME...I'd almost forgotten just how good all those songs are.

Dan

It's a no-brainer that Lost Treasures would win and that the three "mid-career" ones that were never previously released on CD in the US (or anywhere for two of them) would run second to third place or so.

I made this prediction before voting and see I am correct. Cheers! And Happy New Year!

--Mr Bill

Lost Treasures for me, too. Among the Alpert Signatures of 2005, it is literally in a class by itself: the first new TJB album in over 30 years, even if much of its contents are alternative tracks of You Smile.

Still, there are some fresh doozies on this album. I've played "Happy Hour" so much that I wonder I've not worn it out.

I don't know what to say.

I don't know how to pick a favorite because I like all these albums. I have wanted all of them, and whenever I looked at all my old vinyl, I wondered if theses albums would ever "ride again" so to speak. There were many songs hidden on all that vinyl that would have remained silent without the CDs.

Lost Treasures offered many new and previously unheard songs. But, for some inexplicable reason, I do not like as many of the songs on that album when taken in total as on the other albums - and there are more songs on Lost Treasures than the others individually.

So, while Lost Treasures was the novel and new recording, and therefore should be the best release, maybe the word best isn't the way I would describe it. I like most of the others better. Not sure why, unless maybe they are like old friends that have come back to life after being silent for many years.

Captaindave said:

I don't know how to pick a favorite because I like all these albums. I have wanted all of them, and whenever I looked at all my old vinyl, I wondered if theses albums would ever "ride again" so to speak. There were many songs hidden on all that vinyl that would have remained silent without the CDs.

Lost Treasures offered many new and previously unheard songs. But, for some inexplicable reason, I do not like as many of the songs on that album when taken in total as on the other albums - and there are more songs on Lost Treasures than the others individually.

So, while Lost Treasures was the novel and new recording, and therefore should be the best release, maybe the word best isn't the way I would describe it. I like most of the others better. Not sure why, unless maybe they are like old friends that have come back to life after being silent for many years.

After some more time has passed, I have had this thought.

Does Lost Treasures contain many more covers of songs done by other artists than other albums? I mean, I think that on the other albums there are at least a couple or so original Tijuana Brass songs never heard before; maybe from Sol Lake or Herb himself, etc. And, quite often, those songs turn out to be my favorites on the album.

This album strikes me somewhat differently than those others in that regard; maybe I am looking for another Winds of Barcelona, More and More Amor, or Slick, etc. Maybe that is why Happy Hour is by far my favorite song on Lost Treasures.

I think that Sounds Like, SRO and Ninth are excellent runners-up, since SRO was only a Japan release (and a shaky one at that), and the other two see their first CD release here. These were by far my most played TJB reissues out of the entire series.

Captaindave said:

I don't know how to pick a favorite because I like all these albums. I have wanted all of them, and whenever I looked at all my old vinyl, I wondered if theses albums would ever "ride again" so to speak. There were many songs hidden on all that vinyl that would have remained silent without the CDs. … I like most of the others better. Not sure why, unless maybe they are like old friends that have come back to life after being silent for many years.

For someone not knowing what to say, Captaindave said that rather well. It captures many of my own feelings, in spite of my comment and vote. For its sheer novelty, Lost Treasures was a wonder, though I'd never say it was my favorite of all the albums reissued. Those "old friends," now given a new lease on life, are Recovered Treasures.

I love Sounds Like, SRO, and Ninth. I have wanted these 3 albums on c-d for years. I have 'em now and I'm lovin' it. Also, I have a new found love for Sounds Like. All the cuts are great but my favorites are Lady Godiva and Treasure of San Miguel (sp?). What caught my ear on Treasure is Nick Ceroli's first few beats.

Also, I've burned my copies and filed away the originals plus I'm copying the album covers for the copies so I'm really in heaven.

Thanks Herb, Randy, and Shout! Factory.

Tom :D

I was first conciously introduced to Ninth as a five-year-old operating my parent's Collaro portable record player in 1973. Brought up in the UK, my US-citizen mother had obviously bought it while working in the US Air Force base in Ruislip (because it's a US isseu), probably around early '68 just at the time of my conception - so I like to think my love for HA&TJB, and this album in particular, was rooted in listening to it while I was in the womb!

This album holds a very precious sentiment for me - the artwork, the label, and, of course, the music (with the atmosphere of the band - members calling to eachother such as in the run into the middle eight of Love Nest) - I feel it is ingrained into part of me like no other record I own is. The original LP is still in my collection - and plays very well despite me listening to it over and over again as a child - I was always very careful with record care!

Other albums like Sounds Like, SRO, Beat of the Brass are great - but Ninth is SPECIAL for me.

I always particularly loved the tracks by Julius Wechter and Sol Lake far better than covers, and 'Flea Bag' and 'Cowboys and Indians' are brilliant examples of marvellous arrangements of these original songs.

As commented by others, the Lost Treasures album is nice to hear - but the outstanding track in it is, of course, Happy Hour! My opinion is that it must have been an SRO out-take (but possibly Beat of the Brass).

Cheers!

Hello everyone! This is my first time on the forum.

My favorite has to be "What Now My Love." What a great album.
I didn't buy it the first time around in the 80's.
So glad to have it now.

Lost Treasures for me, too.

I particularly like Wailing of the Willow, and Whistlestar is just stunning. I wonder if they ever played Whistlestar live... seems like a fabulous tune for a live performance situation.

Dan Haverstock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom