• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Favorite track from SOUTH OF THE BORDER

What is your favorite track from SOUTH OF THE BORDER?

• South Of The Border

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • The Girl From Ipanema

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Hello, Dolly!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I've Grown Accustomed To Her Face

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • Up Cherry Street

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • Mexican Shuffle

Votes: 6 13.0%
  • El Presidente

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • All My Loving

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Angelito

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Salud, Amor y Dinero

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • Numero Cinco

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • Adios, Mi Corazon

Votes: 1 2.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why has the beginning of "Numero Cinco" been chopped out?
Were there two different intros of this song?

Secondly, does the bass seem louder on "All My Loving" now,
than on the original CD or vinyl?

ormandy said:
Why has the beginning of "Numero Cinco" been chopped out?
Were there two different intros of this song?

Yes, there were two different vinyl versions of this song, one with the spoken "Spanish engineer" opening and one without. We think it might have been an East Coast/West Coast thing where two different masters were prepared. It appears to be common that the mono LP had the spoken intro, but even that's not always true. I have a mono copy without the intro.

The old A&M CD had the intro (the first time I ever heard it), but the new Shout! Factory CD is missing it.

Secondly, does the bass seem louder on "All My Loving" now,
than on the original CD or vinyl?

Yes, the new CDs were remastered which can bring out things you hadn't noticed before, and a bass boost is common in the CD age.

Harry

This is the one remaster that I believe was unsuccessful.
I think the bass end of things is just too heavy, due to the
remastering process. I first noticed it on headphones with
"All My Loving." I'd recommend they print new copies to
ease up on the low end. It sounds alright through the speakers,
but under the headphones it's not good at all.
The old CD sounded better in my opinion.

Has anyone else noticed this problem?

I don't see it as a "problem" - to me SOUTH OF THE BORDER was always a little heavy in the bass, so it sounds normal to me.

If I recall correctly, this was Larry Levine's first album with Herb and he probably brought a little of his old Phil Spector "wall of sound" techniques with him.

My guess is that there won't be any re-remasters of any of these albums any time soon, so if you've got the old A&M version of the CD and it's to your liking, soundwise, then consider yourself fortunate. That old A&M CD has some interesting qualities to it.

Harry

Aw, c'mon let's face it, SOTB is a belter of an album! Sure, we all love WCAOD and !!Going Places!! but the spread of voting on SOTB makes it quite clear (to me, anyway) that this is twelve inches of dynamite.

I actually voted for "Salud", which has as much to do with my memories of being a teenager and listening to the disc while looking out of my window at the sun shimmering on the sea as it does with anything else. But what a collection of classic recordings. "Mexican Shuffle" has only one flaw - it's in mono. "Up Cherry Street" is (as Cissy Wechter observed) happiness on vinyl. (And so is the version on 'Lost treaures' in its own way). I loved "Winds of Barcelkona" and was delighted when it made a reappearance with its new name, although for me the original was the best. And with or without opening words, "Numero Cinco" is such a strong track. The day I bought it it snowed heavily. Music really does evoke personal memories in a big way.

I'd nominate SOTB as one of the top five TJB albums. Wouldn't you?

Captain Bacardi said:
Larry Levine considered this album as the best engineered TJB album.

Larry Levine really gave this album a good healthy dose of Gold Star's famed reverb chamber. Very "wall of sound", IMHO. I have to agree--it seems to have been recorded very simple and direct. There is less of a cloud over the sonic quality as compared to Whipped Cream (probably because the latter required a tape bounce or two).

TonyCurrie said:
Aw, c'mon let's face it, SOTB is a belter of an album! Sure, we all love WCAOD and !!Going Places!! but the spread of voting on SOTB makes it quite clear (to me, anyway) that this is twelve inches of dynamite. … I'd nominate SOTB as one of the top five TJB albums. Wouldn't you?

No doubt about it. A killer album: wonderful songs, magnificently arranged. The best engineered of them all, with incredible sonics. All musicians at the height of their powers. The Man's trumpet never sounded better.

I'll go Tony one better: SOTB is in my top three.

I agree...it IS one of the best! I like to listen to it as a whole...kind of a full-length single...just too hard to pick a real standout favorite song.

Dan

Years ago my brother and I were compiling a TJB
anthology with all the albums. He thought after judging
them all, SOTB was the best overall. I agreed, but maybe
that was because it was one of the two TJB albums we had
growing up, (the other was Vol. 2.) so maybe we were just
biased. But, after reading this thread maybe he was right.

IMO, it is SOTB where the Tijuana Brass sound starts to come "into its own," so to speak. This is where I hear the genesis of the overall sound that would characterize Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass for the rest of the decade.

Here I begin to hear a consistent rhythm accompaniment sound; drums, guitar, bass, etc. backing a brass section.

To me, earlier albums had a variety of sounds, instrumentation, types of songs, etc. This album seems to me to have a more consistent and unified sound throughout. A more definitive direction.

With the Mexican Shuffle, the TJB sound is established, and upon this album, IMO, the remainder of the decade is built.

If the family chooses to watch another syndicated re run, I‘m out of there, and enjoying another TJB re-master. Fortunately, most of these albums clock in at 30 minutes or less, so I don’t really need to cut anything. Unless I get started too late. So, if there was one song I had to skip due to time restraints it would be, I've Grown Accustomed To Her Face. And I like this one alot.

If you had to skip one, what would it be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom