• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Favorite track from THE LONELY BULL

What is your favorite track from THE LONELY BULL?

• The Lonely Bull (El Solo Toro)

Votes: 15 34.1%
  • El Lobo (The Wolf)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tijuana Sauerkraut

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Desafinado

Votes: 10 22.7%
  • Mexico

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Never On Sunday

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Struttin' With Maria

• Let It Be Me

• Acapulco 1922

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • Limbo Rock

• Crawfish

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • A Quiet Tear (Lagrima Quieta)

Votes: 6 13.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Acapulco 1922 is a close second for me as well.
I wish this particular album had been re-mastered in mono. Oh well.

According to the forum poll, The Lonely Bull (El Solo Toro),
Desafinado, Acapulco 1922, Crawfish and
A Quiet Tear (Lagrima Quieta) would all be great
on a “Tijuana Brass” anthology. Herb and the folks at
Shout Factory should get our opinion on a essential collection.

If the family chooses to watch another syndicated re run, I‘m out of there, and enjoying another TJB re-master. Fortunately, most of these albums clock in at 30 minutes or less, so I don’t really need to cut anything. Unless I get started too late. So, if there was one song I had to skip due to time restraints it would be, Tijuana Sauerkraut. That's an easy choice.

If you had to skip one, what would it be?

The Lonely Bull was my first Herb Alpert album. My parents gave it to me for Christmas the year it was released. I kept going back to The Loney Bull, then Never On Sunday and A Quiet Tear.

I've had a question for years. Herb's first trumpet part was the only instrument appearing on the left channel in Lonely Bull. Why? It sounds somewhat primative considering how songs are mixed. Was this because the equipment available at the the time was limited? Would Herb mix it the same today? I prefer his second trumpet part used on the right channel. Also, why was the first (left channel) trumpet performed softer/simpler?

tom

Tom said:
The Lonely Bull was my first Herb Alpert album. My parents gave it to me for Christmas the year it was released. I kept going back to The Loney Bull, then Never On Sunday and A Quiet Tear.

I've had a question for years. Herb's first trumpet part was the only instrument appearing on the left channel in Lonely Bull. Why? It sounds somewhat primative considering how songs are mixed. Was this because the equipment available at the the time was limited? Would Herb mix it the same today? I prefer his second trumpet part used on the right channel. Also, why was the first (left channel) trumpet performed softer/simpler?

tom

Simple: it was a way to create a "stereo" recording. Just overdub a trumpet in one channel. That's why I prefer the mono version of this album for some of the tracks. "Acapulco 1922" has additional percussion, where I prefer the original mono version without it. Some tracks are true stereo, so they're not an issue with me. :wink: I just happened to grow up with the mono version, too, so the stereo versions of "Lonely Bull", "Never On Sunday" and "Acapulco" still don't sound right to me after all these years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom