• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

🎷 AotW: CTI Freddie Hubbard: Red Clay (CTI Records CTI 6001 / CTI 8016)

All the CTI releases
1673325662346.pngFreddie Hubbard: Red Clay

CTI Records CTI 6001
Released 1970

Reissued as CTI Records CTI 8016
  • A1 - Red Clay 12:05
  • A2 - Delphia 7:25
  • B1 - Suite Sioux 8:40
  • B2 - The Intrepid Fox 10:40
Bass – Ron Carter
Design [Album] – Tony Lane
Drums – Lenny White
Engineer – Rudy Van Gelder
Lacquer Cut By – VAN GELDER
Photography By [Cover] – Price Givens
Piano – Herbie Hancock
Producer – Creed Taylor
Saxophone – Joe Henderson
Trumpet, Written-By – Freddie Hubbard

Recorded at Van Gelder Studios. Recorded January 27, 28, 29, 1970.

Amazon product ASIN B08F6CG5CT

We've already covered CTI 6000 (a reissue of CTI 1002--Hubert Laws, Crying Song), so Red Clay begins our exploration of the 6000-series records.

And it starts off with a bang. This album set the tone for the CTI albums to follow, with a tight group of musicians and fine playing all around. It's like a forward-looking take on hard bop, heading more into funk and fusion (especially with Herbie Hancock and Lenny White involved). Perhaps it was good that Taylor decided to start over via the 6000 series, as it leaves the uneven 1000-series behind and starts off with a much more solid baseline thanks to this record.

Excellent release all the way around.

For me, following a near-perfect run of LPs for Blue Note (1960-66), Freddie's '60s LPs stumble a bit when he moved to Atlantic ('66-'70) -- these are by-and-large good, but the fire that underscored his Blue Notes was missing. This CTI was a return to the fold -- albeit with a 1970 flare. I actually don't have this CD, but it's now on my ever-building list of CTIs to acquire.

I heard "The Intrepid Fox" on KBCA-FM in Los Angeles, and loved it, so on the next trip to L.A., I went looking for the LP at Crane's in Inglewood. They had it, and I bought it. At 14, this was the first exposure I had to the new CTI label. Great album, still one of my favorites, and I'm pleased at how well-known it is among the younger music hosts on our Classical/Jazz music station.

Back
Top Bottom