• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

George McCurn: Country Boy Goes To Town

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed something different about the label. Check the picture out:

3d_1.JPG

Mine has the larger type on the label, and is in the wider typeface. I'd wager mine was a west coast pressing, where the one in this auction was an east-coaster. (This is assuming the LPs haven't already traveled across country.)

Can't say his cover is as good a shape as mine is though. And I got mine for less than a quarter of what this winning bidder paid for it. Timing is everything. :D Mine was a bit expensive, but the seller also didn't hype up the album as much. No complaints here--as clean as mine was, I'd swear it was never played.

Now that I look more closely at it, mine seems to be yet a third variation on the label:

mccurnlabl.jpg

My label

SP102_labels.jpg

Rudy's labels​

My title/artist is laid out like the one in the eBay picture, but seems bigger and bolder. Also notice the difference in the width of the track listings. Compare that with yours.

Harry
...scanning, online...

Notice, too, the catalog numbers on our LPs. The eBay auction was for a promotional copy, by the way. But on mine, the catalog number is SLP-102, where yours is 102S, which is similar to Lonely Bull's 101S for the stereo version. Actually, the typeface on mine looks more like my mono Lonely Bull, which has the larger bold typeface for both artist and album title, spread across three lines in equal type size.

I'm going to guess that the first stereo numbering scheme might have been 101(S) and 102(S). SLP-102 might have been a tentative step in the numbering until LP was used for mono and SP for stereo.

I'm going to e-mail that eBay seller and see if he can tell me what catalog number is on his copy. Would be funny if it were SP102. :laugh:

It's also interesting that your track listings show the publisher information, and mine doesn't. Mine seems to be atypical compared to other A&M labels. There's no reason to think mine would have been an imported copy either--why would such a low-production, low profile recording be marketed in other countries? A&M certainly wasn't set up for that kind of distribution in those days. The typeface of mine is a narrower font.

Hmmm...wonder if Randy Kosht would have anything like this in his A&M listings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom