• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Got a new Jobim-related CD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rudy

¡Que siga la fiesta!
Staff member
Site Admin
I just picked up a "budget" CD on the Atlantic label at a nearby Borders location--it is one of fifty Atlantic 50th Anniversary jazz/blues releases, with a personal note from Ahmet Ertegun and dedicated to his late brother, Nesuhi. This one is called Herbie Mann & Joao Gilberto with Antonio Carlos Jobim. This one features arrangements on most tracks (and supposedly, some instrumental accompaniment...I have no clue thanks to the sketchy liner notes) by Jobim, who also lends his vocals to Herbie Mann's version of "One Note Samba". Seven tracks are performed by Gilberto and, for the most part, sound a lot like his work on the famous Getz/Gilberto album. If you like that one, this one will also be to your liking. Mann's five tracks, except for "One Note Samba", are instrumentals, and the two musicians' performances are intermixed in the running order. Quite a nice little album!

Naturally, the A&M links here are Jobim and Herbie Mann. :thumbsup:

Neil -I'm interested to see what the "budget" price of this album was-possibly it was a cutout that they couldn't return-I thought most of these were midline priced,but the new regime at Warner DID drop the price on many albums,probably in lieu of deleting and accepting returns(the stores are also less likely to return product that is worth less than what they originally paid for it). If the original liners are intact,you know that the Gilberto material was licensed from ODEON records as filler to complete an album's length-kind of a strange selection to commemorate the label's history. As nice as the material was,it was a cheat to the customer that might have thought that Joao and Herbie actually play together on this album,not unlike Verve's "GETZ/GILBERTO Vol. 2",which was really a concert where Getz and Gilberto never appeared together on stage-it's not a bad album,just misleading to the customer. At the time of these releases,just the Gilberto or Jobim name needed to be on the cover and some people really wanted Astrud and not Joao Gilberto. As for the incomplete session info-they probably were not using union musicians and/or never intended to give them any residuals from thiese recordings-Atlantic was a pretty cheap company at this time. Mac

Actually this album was recorded in Rio. As you say, the seven Joao Gilberto tracks were licensed from Odeon, while the other five were recorded with Herbie Mann in Rio. In both cases, recording outside the country would have circumvented the union rules. :wink:

Very nice album, though...and it only set me back $7.99. It wasn't marked as a cut-out, but was just thrown in the budget bins.

Just checked Amazon and this one is no longer in print domestically. It IS available on WEA International as an import for $22.49 (!). Now I REALLY feel like I got a bargain! :wink: I believe they had one or two more copies over there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom