1. A&M Corner can now be found on Instagram! Follow us on our new account at @a.m.corner .
    You may also follow us on Twitter: @amcorner.
  2. The new Herb Alpert remasters are now available for download from Amazon and iTunes, and high-res versions are available from Acoustic Sounds and HDTracks. Some of these albums are seeing their first-ever release digitally. Check them out today!

Grammy Treasure Chest - Herb interview

Discussion in 'The Beat of The Brass: Herb Alpert/Tijuana Brass' started by Harry, Mar 18, 2017.

1. Harry

Harry Charter Member Moderator Thread Starter

This program is found on LP as program number 75-121, which possibly meant that it was to air on the 21st week of 1975. It was issued to radio stations by the U.S. Department of the Treasury for U.S. Savings bonds to run as public service programming.

This edition features a track by Carpenters ("Only Yesterday" - shortened for time), and an interview between Mike Douglas and Herb Alpert. The track played is "Carmine" from CONEY ISLAND. The program's announcer is Durward Kirby. You may remember him from the fifties/sixties TV series, THE GARRY MOORE SHOW that introduced Carol Burnett. He also hosted the sixties version of CANDID CAMERA.

Listen carefully to both parts of Herb's interview - you can hear a train whistle in the distance.

Bobberman and Rudy like this.
  2. Rudy

Rudy ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ Site Admin

US
    Does the US Treasury come knocking on the front door if they find out that a person owns this record? :D

Murray and Bobberman like this.
  3. Harry

I declare it every year on my Income Taxes...

4. Mike Blakesley

Mike Blakesley Well-Known Member Moderator

I remember Durward Kirby. He was one of those guys who would turn up as a "guest star" on game shows all the time.

Bobberman likes this.
  5. Captain Bacardi

Captain Bacardi Well-Known Member Moderator

Wasn't Durwood Kirby also the co-host on "Candid Camera" with Allen Funt?

6. Harry

Yes. I thought I mentioned that.

7. Captain Bacardi

Captain Bacardi Well-Known Member Moderator

Oh hell, I'm just slow these days. Old age creeping up on me. :D

8. Bobberman

Bobberman Well-Known Member

Excellent interview and very well edited. I remember the old Mike Douglas show from those days. Ah the childhood memories really are being refreshed here

9. Mike Blakesley

Mike Blakesley Well-Known Member Moderator

It's kind of cool to hear something that really exhibits "American pride." You don't hear that nearly as much these days.

Bobberman and Rudy like this.
  10. A&M Retro

A&M Retro Well-Known Member

Great stuff, and such great clarity. :)

11. DeeInKY

DeeInKY Well-Known Member

Nice interview. It motivated me to order the Coney Island cd.

Bobberman likes this.
  12. Bobberman

It's a great cd you will really hear a variety of styles on that and a lot more jazz too enjoy it you will like it a lot.

DeeInKY likes this.
  13. DeeInKY

DeeInKY Well-Known Member

Slowly filling in my collection as funds allow. :)

Bobberman likes this.
  14. Bobberman

That's exactly how I built my collection going way back to the late 70s and now as far as my Herb CD collection it's finally complete