Grusin arrangements - Crystal Illusions

Status
Not open for further replies.

seashorepiano

They're great. I wasn't sure how they'd turn out, but I was mesmerized by them, particularly on "Song of No Regrets," "Dois Dias," and "You Stepped Out of a Dream." Very nice album.

CRYSTAL is an album I wasn't overly fond of when it was new, but it has grown on me. While I don't like that the band is basically buried through a lot of the album, I really like the songs themselves. Some people really hate those Grusin arrangements (Rudy?) But I kind of like them.

I have always marveled at the arrangement on the title tune. The violin parts in particular sound like they'd be very hard to play.

I've always loved the arrangements on CRYSTAL ILLUSIONS. I always liked a big orchestral sound anyway, so adding it to this nifty Brasil '66 group-thing was OK in my book. The louder-than-loud orchestral crescendo at the end of "Crystal Illusions" still thrills me everytime I hear it.

Harry

Dear Forum members,

As I posted in my past topics Dave Grusin is a true master in arrangments and composing and one of my heros in the music industry.

I had the pleasure to see him performance twice in concert and his versatile keybard skills are beyond any boundaries.

All the best,
Aqua do Brasil (Sjef NIx)

Dave Grusin

p.s.
Underneath a Filmography as: Composer, Soundtrack, Miscellaneous Crew
Composer - filmography
(2000s) (1990s) (1980s) (1970s) (1960s)

1. Bordertown (2006)
2. Even Money (2006/I)
3. Ocean's Twelve (2004) (from film "Candy")
4. A Woman of Substance: Katharine Hepburn Remembered (2003) (V)
5. Reflections on Golden Pond (2003) (V)
6. Dinner with Friends (2001) (TV)
7. Random Hearts (1999)
8. Hope Floats (1998)
9. Hope (1997) (TV) (theme)
10. In the Gloaming (1997) (TV)
11. Selena (1997)
12. Mulholland Falls (1996)
13. The Cure (1995)
14. The Firm (1993)
15. For the Boys (1991)
16. The Bonfire of the Vanities (1990)
17. Havana (1990/I)
18. The Fabulous Baker Boys (1989)
19. A Dry White Season (1989)
20. Tequila Sunrise (1988)
21. Clara's Heart (1988)
22. The Milagro Beanfield War (1988)
... aka The Milagro Beanfield War (Australia)
23. Ishtar (1987)
24. Lucas (1986)
25. The Goonies (1985)
26. Falling in Love (1984)
27. The Little Drummer Girl (1984)
28. The Pope of Greenwich Village (1984)
... aka Village Dreams (Europe: English title)
29. Racing with the Moon (1984)
30. Scandalous (1984)
31. Tootsie (1982)
32. "St. Elsewhere" (1982) TV Series
33. Author! Author! (1982)
34. On Golden Pond (1981)
35. Absence of Malice (1981)
36. My Bodyguard (1980)
37. The Electric Horseman (1979)
38. ...And Justice for All (1979)
39. The Champ (1979)
40. Heaven Can Wait (1978)
41. The Goodbye Girl (1977)
... aka Neil Simon's The Goodbye Girl
42. Bobby Deerfield (1977)
... aka Heaven Has No Favorites (Australia)
43. Fire Sale (1977)
44. Mr. Billion (1977)
... aka The Windfall
45. The Front (1976)
46. Murder by Death (1976)
47. Eric (1975) (TV)
48. Three Days of the Condor (1975)
49. W.W. and the Dixie Dancekings (1975)
50. The Trial of Chaplain Jensen (1975) (TV)
51. "Good Times" (1 episode, 1975)
    - The Debutante Ball (1975) TV Episode (theme)
52. "Baretta" (1975) TV Series
53. The Yakuza (1974)
... aka Brotherhood of the Yakuza (UK: video title)
54. The Nickel Ride (1974)
55. The Midnight Man (1974)
56. The Death Squad (1974) (TV)
57. "The Girl with Something Extra" (1973) TV Series
58. The Friends of Eddie Coyle (1973)
59. Amanda Fallon (1973) (TV)
60. "Assignment Vienna" (1972) TV Series
61. The Family Rico (1972) (TV)
62. "Maude" (1972) TV Series (theme "And Then There's Maude")
63. Fuzz (1972)
64. The Great Northfield Minnesota Raid (1972)
65. The Gang That Couldn't Shoot Straight (1971)
... aka The Gang That Couldn't Shoot (UK: cable TV title)
66. "Funny Face" (6 episodes, 1971)
    - Episode #1.5 (1971) TV Episode (title song)
    - A Crush on Sandy (1971) TV Episode (title song)
    - What's in a Mouth (1971) TV Episode (title song)
    - A Star Is Born on a Stretcher (1971) TV Episode (title song)
    - The Repairman Cheateth (1971) TV Episode (title song)
      (1 more)
67. A Howling in the Woods (1971) (TV)
68. Deadly Dream (1971) (TV)
69. The Forgotten Man (1971) (TV)
70. Shoot Out (1971)
71. The Pursuit of Happiness (1971)
72. Sarge (1971) (TV)
... aka Sarge: The Badge or the Cross (USA)
... aka The Badge or the Cross
73. "The Name of the Game" (1 episode, 1971)
    - Los Angeles 2017 (1971) TV Episode (theme)
74. "The NBC Mystery Movie" (1971) TV Series
75. The Intruders (1970) (TV)
76. "Dan August" (1970) TV Series (also theme)
77. Adam at Six A.M. (1970)
78. Halls of Anger (1970)
79. Double Jeopardy (1970) (TV) (theme)
... aka Dan August: Once Is Not Enough
80. Tell Them Willie Boy Is Here (1969)
81. Generation (1969)
... aka A Time for Caring
... aka A Time for Giving (UK)
82. A Man Called Gannon (1969)
83. Backtrack! (1969) (stock music) (uncredited)
84. Winning (1969)
85. The Mad Room (1969)
86. "The Ghost & Mrs. Muir" (1968) TV Series
87. The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter (1968)
88. Where Were You When the Lights Went Out? (1968)
89. Prescription: Murder (1968) (TV)
... aka Columbo: Prescription Murder
90. "It Takes a Thief" (1968) TV Series
91. Waterhole #3 (1967)
... aka Waterhole No. 3
... aka Waterhole Three (UK)
92. Divorce American Style (1967)
93. "The Girl from U.N.C.L.E." (8 episodes, 1966-1967)
    - The Kooky Spook Affair (1967) TV Episode
    - The Carpathian Killer Affair (1967) TV Episode
    - The Fountain of Youth Affair (1967) TV Episode
    - The Faustus Affair (1966) TV Episode
    - The Little John Doe Affair (1966) TV Episode
      (3 more)
94. The Scorpio Letters (1967) (TV)
95. "The Wild Wild West" (1965) TV Series
96. "Gidget" (1965) TV Series
97. "The Virginian" (1962) TV Series
... aka The Men from Shiloh (USA: new title).

Mike Blakesley said:
Some people really hate those Grusin arrangements (Rudy?) But I kind of like them.

I have always marveled at the arrangement on the title tune. The violin parts in particular sound like they'd be very hard to play.

Harry said:
The louder-than-loud orchestral crescendo at the end of "Crystal Illusions" still thrills me everytime I hear it.

Interesting comparison here. The arrangement at the very end of "Crystal Illusions" sounds similar to Don Sebesky's orchestral ending of "A Day in the Life" from Wes Montgomery's album by the same title. Chromatic, very dissonant arpeggios come from the strings.

I'm another fan of Grusin's, whether orchestrating Sergio or his own work. I loved his late 60s tv themes (I used to sit in front of the tv with early cassette recorders to get themes down, and I still probably have "The Name of the Game" and "Ghost and Mrs. Muir" lying around here somewhere). I think Grusin's work on FOTH and CI are unmatched in the pop music catalog of that era--they define class and clear orchestral thinking.

Mike Blakesley said:
Some people really hate those Grusin arrangements (Rudy?) But I kind of like them.

:whistle: I won't crap on this thread by complaining about it either.

Carry on! :wave:

seashorepiano said:
No, please, Rudy, elaborate!

A little provocation, eh? Why use a nine letter word when a four letter word will suffice? Saves on keystrokes, my friend! :wink:

--Mr Bill
tongue firmly in cheek... and adding to the flames of provocation

Mr Bill said:
seashorepiano said:
No, please, Rudy, elaborate!

A little provocation, eh? Why use a nine letter word when a four letter word will suffice? Saves on keystrokes, my friend! :wink:

--Mr Bill
tongue firmly in cheek... and adding to the flames of provocation

:laugh: Right. But I'd still like to know Rudy's opinion again. :angel:

OK. Question. This one shows I don't have a life.

Do you think the Crystal Illusions/Grusin arrangements coincided with the recording of Mendes' "The Christmas Song" on Something Festive?

By the way, I interviewed Grusin once and found him to be very outgoing, friendly and definitely had a presence to him. At the time (when "Night Lines" came out), he laughed hard and nodded when I said GRP was the "A&M of the '80s."

Do you think the Crystal Illusions/Grusin arrangements coincided with the recording of Mendes' "The Christmas Song" on Something Festive?

To my ears it sounds like Hazzard's arrangement.

I think it's Hazzard (sp?), too (very, very similar voicings to "Like a Lover"), and I think we determined it would have been recorded in the fall/winter of 1968, shortly after FOTH and before CI.

JMK said:
I think it's Hazzard (sp?), too (very, very similar voicings to "Like a Lover"),

That was my clue also, Jeff: the strings are in a high register.

I agree that "The Christmas Song" was probably recorded around the same time as the CI album....not because of the string arrangement, but because the whole band including Lani sounds similar on that song as they do on the entire CI album. Even the production seems to match up, to my ears at least.

I actually date it between Look Around and Fool, since after Look Around, they no longer used Dick Hazzard for the string arrangements. Thing is, we have no idea if it's his arrangement or not, even though it seems a lot like it.

I was looking at Aqua's listings of Dave Grusin's listings of accomplishments in Hollywood,and I must say I'm impressed! I didn't knew he did so much!

Which leads me to my next question:when I was much younger, I used to watch a show called 'The Name Of The Game'. It was basically an anthology series that starred Gene Barry,Tony Franciosa, and Robert Stack, and the series was set in the world of publishing.It was kind of boring(to my young age at that time that is) but what I loved about the show was the theme music.the music blew me away!

Now at the end of the show, when they listed the credits,Grusin's name showed up, but so did Oliver Nelson's as well! Did Dave write the theme music,and Oliver Nelson did the orchestration and arrangements or vice versa( Grusin-arrangements/orchestration, nelson-theme)? I don't remember which was which in credits, and would like to know.

From the IMdb:

The Name Of The Game (1968)

Series Original Music by
Billy Goldenberg (1 episode, 1971)
Dave Grusin (1 episode, 1971)
Robert Prince (1 episode, 1971)

Benny Carter (unknown episodes)
Oliver Nelson (unknown episodes)

It doesn't say who wrote the theme.

Harry

Grusin definitely wrote the theme, and are you ready?--Jean Luc Ponty recorded it on his Frank Zappa-produced album before he hit it big. One of my all time favorite Grusin compositions.

Rudy said:

To my ears it sounds like Hazzard's arrangement.

Dear Forum members ,

All the best in 2007 for you all.
I read some years ago that the great composer/arranger Johnny Mandel
did this particulair arrangement. The only thing I know for sure is thespecially composed song ‘Cinnamon and Clove’ for Sergio’s Equinox album in 1967, by Johnny Mandel/ Alan & Marilyn Bergmann.

Forty years ago! Times fly!

Best, Aqua do Brasil (Sjef Nix)

"Cinnamon and Clove" is an excellent number, perfectly suited for the mood of that album.

Crystal Illusions is a great album, but I think the last good one by the group. After listening to Ye-Me-Le several times, I consider that to be the album where the group started to go into serious decline. "Some Time Ago" is inexplicably beautiful, as is the use of the organ on "Ye-Me-Le," but "Easy to be Hard" is rubbish, IMHO. I respect people who advocate for social justice, though I disagree with their common political beliefs. But I buy Sergio's albums for the music within, not the (trite) political themes. :thumbsdn:

YE-ME-LE is certainly a low-point in the Brasil '66 canon for me, but I think they rebounded nicely on STILLNESS. The shift in styles between the two albums is starting. I was really glad to hear the scaled-back orchestral bits on STILLNESS compared with YE-ME-LE. The group got to shine through more.

As for the political themes - I have long thought that Sergio picked songs because he liked the songs, not necessarily for their political content. Some of the translations we've seen of the Portuguese lyrics on the earlier songs tend to bear this out.

I'll agree that Ye-Me-Le is a low point, but Stillness is an album that I just can't listen to. It's too different, too new, too reformed from what I had grown used to. Ah well.

Ye-Me-Le may lack some of the excitement of FOTH and CI, but I think it has a lot to recommend it. I actually love Sergio's arrangement of "Easy to Be Hard"--Lani's belt is fantastic and that ultra-cool addition of the minor 9 in the tenor voicing right at the end has always gotten me and harkens back to the classic mixed vocal sound of the first 3 B66 albums. "Moanin'" is one of the best Grusin arrangements ever (and certainly the whole song is a far cry from L,H&R), "Norwegian Wood" has that great Rhodes solo, blah, blah, blah, you get my drift. I think more than anything Ye-Me-Le shows the "Mendes formula" had peaked and even though the album is well-programmed (if too American pop-ish) and (as always) well-produced, it just doesn't seem "new" or "innovative" like its predecessors did. But I still think there's a lot to enjoy on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom