• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Happy Birthday, Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.

musicfirst

I am so far behind the power curve this year. The tree is up and decorated. The yard is full of the inflatable decorations and a full herd of deer. I hope no one mistakes them as participants in this year's hunting season!!! I have yet to go shopping for the first gift. But, somehow, it will all come together in a few days, just like it has in years past. It is also this time of year when I stop to remember another special day in December. Tomorrow is Nick Ceroli's birthday. Gosh, he would have been 70 years old tomorrow. But, the "would have been" is the saddest part of all. Nick left us much too soon. In his brief time on this earth, he produced so many great beats that fueled the energy from Zoot Sims' sax, from Pete Jolly's piano, and from Bob Florence's big band. We devotees of the Tijuana Brass think of Nick as "the beat" of the Brass. Between the brushes, the bass kick, and the tom beat, Nick could quietly exhibit his mastery while the Brass drew all the focus. Tomorrow I will lift a glass of the red wine I love to honor the birthday Nick cannot celebrate with all of us. Raise your glass and toast the day. I am sure it would bring a smile to his face, even if we can't see it. Feliz cumpleanos, mi compadre!
DJ

No doubt, Nick Ceroli was a fine drummer and an important part of the 'Tijuana Brass sound.' He was especially outstanding on "Treasure of San Miguel." Didn't he supply most of the "Ha's" and other vocal shouts on many of the TJB recordings? I've always imagined it was him.

Charles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom