• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Herb & Lani Live Chicago & Minneapolis June 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
So with all of the members we have here including the occasional lurkers and posters,
people selling extra tickets to the recent shows, people going to the shows and asking
for information etc, etc.....

Yet NO ONE can post a report, review and or a setlist from the recent shows???!!!!:realmad:

The Chicago Herb Alpert/Lani Hall concert lived up to expectations by all means. I stayed at a relatives condo down the street from the venue and it was the first time I ever walked to a Herb/Lani Show. The venue was cozy and the sound just right. I did not take notes but am sure the set list was similar to others I have seen. Highlights of the evening for me were experiencing some of the unexpected twists in some of the arrangements for example the Lonely Bull was woven around a tune from Fandango (forgive me for not coming up w/ the name of the tune.) Bill Cantos did a knockout scat on I've got you under my skin. The rest of the band was light and tight. Lani was very warm and expressive in her performance and Herbs playing was flawless with some very creative improv lines. Herb spent more time playing muted trumpet than any other concert of his that I have attended. My personal preference is to hear more open ( unmuted) playing where his unique tone wraps around the listener. It is always a pleasure to attend one of these shows and is a huge motivator for me to continue playing the trumpet. Rim Kasputis

To my ears, these were three of the most creative shows we've done so far....the crowds were supportive and listened intently, and there was a wonderfully relaxed vibe to it all. (The Guthrie in Minn. is a gorgeous theater, by the way.) Lani did something special at the two Chicago shows (it was a surprise to me until a couple of days before the show); she did a slight rewrite to the lyrics of "I Feel You" and dedicated it to the city of Chicago, the way it makes her feel when she thinks about it, the way the city stays with her.....I was honored and it was a beautiful moment (that I'm pretty sure won't reappear in other cities, sorry to say!).

I was amused that one of the venues was part of a bowling alley. I would have brought my bowling bag if that were the case! :D Chicago is a great city, no doubt about it. I always enjoy visiting and don't get over there often enough.

Thanks for the reports guys! Especially AMGFWB for taking time out of his busy schedule
to check in. Having lived in Chicago for 15 amazing years I was so bummed that I could not
attend the intimate Old Town show. I think all involved would agree that this amazing band
cooks the best in the smaller clubs and more intimate settings of 500 seats or less.

When those dates were first announced you just knew that these shows were going to be something special
for Lani, a homecoming if you will. Her brother & lovely wife who I have had the pleasure of chatting with several times still live there and I mean really, when was the last time Lani sang in downtown Chicago?
It's got to be close to 20 years at least.

Any new songs added to the set list?

It was too bad that Guthrie Theatre show couldn't have been when the Prarie Home
Companion was in town! I've always thought that Herb & Lani would be perect on
this great American classic :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom