• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

Herb & Lani Live Vibrato Bel Air - BBC Taping Updated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vibrato Bel Air February 3, 2010

Disney Hall was awesome, but nothing beats the intimacy of Vibrato - No place like it to truly witness Herb & Lani live. Just got back from a very special private show at Vibrato this evening. The BBC had a 3 camera set-up and they had a crew filming for an upcoming BBC Project. Not as elaborate as the last taping I was at, but a much tighter and high energy show this time around. You could tell that this crew had just come off the road. They were tight and loose and on fire. Got to speak with Hussain, Bill & Michael and thank Eden. Had a nice chat with Bill about the Grammys and the Wes Montgomery pre show music. He told me that it was Wes who told Herb that George Benson was the next big thing and Herb should check this cat out.

I was treated to the entire sound check before the show. It was extra long,
they really wanted it to sound just right for the crowd and the BBC. This was just the sound check and they ran through all of these tunes! -

Fascinating Rhythm/Besame Mucho
Pararaio
Paper Moon
That Old Black Magic
Blackbird/Moda De Viola
Til There Was You
Accustomed/This Guy
TJB Medley - Herb was trying some new things out.
Anything Goes

What a special treat to watch the sound check. The complete set list is available at the link below from Mr. Sidoruk.

Talked to the director from the BBC after the show and he said that they are filming tomorrow at Herb's Totem Show at the gallery in Beverly Hills. Really looking forward to it. And it's FREE people!

“Backdrop” made it’s official debut at Vibrato last night and it worked great in the tiny space and the lighting was spot on and really popped I thought, as the pictures in the link below will attest. They didn’t “stop & start” as they did the last taping, this was more low-pressure and it showed. As I said earlier, this show was a “keeper”. One for the Vaults. Take good care of those Masters BBC.

“So nice to be back in the most beautiful jazz club in the world”, said Herb after finishing a rousing take of Besame Mucho. He later when on to talk about losing the Grammy. Apparently according to Herb, the voting was dead close. Which made me feel a little better. “Missed it by that much”, bemoaned Maxwell Albert last night. “Do I remember what I was doing at 16?” asked Herb. “I know what I was doing but I can’t tell you”. “Actually I do remember, I only 5 foot 3 and the finally after Junior High I grew and now I’m 7 foot 4”.

Someone asked Herb about the secret to he and Lani's long relationship
“Honesty. Respecting each other. Appreciating each other’s differences. Actually Lani and I are 180 degrees different than each other. We found a way to work it out. This is the lady that changed my life”. Happy Valentines Day. Another gal asked Herb, “What it was like to play in the USC Band”. “It was drag”, came from a dead serious Mr. Alpert.

Blackbird/Moda De Viola – They rehearsed the hell out this at sound check and that made for a stunning Vibrato premier.

One of my favorite moments from last night’s “Q&A” came when after this tipsy/stoned “lady” went on and on about what she thought “Backdrop” was trying to say and Herb jumped in, “Yeah that’s fantastic. Can you pass some of that around?” My man. Another gal asked if Herb wrote “This Guy” for Lani? “I could have, (whisper) But I was married at the time”. Herb talked about nailing the track in one rare take. I walked into the back into the studio and everyone said, “Don’t touch it”!

Perhaps because of all the hype surrounding the new “We Are The World 2” someone had to bring up the current state of the former A&M studios and the “old days” & the “huge crystal” Herb had installed in the wall in one of the studios. “I found that crystal in New York, it was from Arkansas. It was huge. I had them embed it in the wall of Studio B”. “Musicians would come in and bow in front of it. Like it was the Wailing Wall”. It’s in the studio at the Foundation now.

TJB Medley – Right back where it first premiered on April 1, 2009. Herb told a great story about how he was trying to convince Jerry Moss that in fact Taste of Honey was the “A” side single and not the “Third Man Theme” that Jerry was pushing. “I was playing this little club in Seattle and every time I played it the place went crazy (just like they did at a little club called Vibrato!) We’re on the wrong side I told Jerry” and he said, “Taste of Honey? Couldn’t be Taste of Honey. You can’t dance to it, it stops in the middle with this ‘bang, bang, bang'”. One of the FEW times Mr. Moss got it wrong.

Thank you to Eden Alpert and her entire classy staff a Vibrato & a BIG thank you to Steve for the "intell".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom