• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

Herb on Mocean Worker's new release

Status
Not open for further replies.

jazzdre

As I probably mentioned before, I am on the Giant Step label's e-mail list. Giant Step is a website dedicated to supporting innovative musical acts who would not be otherwise heard in a more commercialized outlet.

They e-mail me the newest acts(I first heard about the great Amy Winehouse through Giant Step) and I listen to them on their 'jukebox'.Anyway, today they sent me the new one from an artist called Mocean Worker(I believe he was mentioned in this forum), and he is part of that whole 'electronica/acid jazz/chill sound'; which is the rage in the musical underground here and in Europe.

Anyway, I don't know how he did it, but he managed to snag Herb for a guest appearance on his cd! The cut Herb guests on is called "Changes", and has a sound not unlike what he did on his own COLORS cd. His solo is very good, and he comes in very smoothly, without dominating the tune altogether. The other tunes which Herb is not on sound ok; one tune has a big band jazz feel, the other has a guest vocalist with a swirling string section a la Don Sebesky.

All in all, it's not my cup of tea, but it is innovative,and daring, and it's great that Herb is still keeping busy and participating in new and challenging projects, even if it's not his own.

It's mentioned in another thread, but thanks for the promo for Giant Steps.

BTW, Mocean Worker (rhymes with "Ocean") was one of the colaborations on the Re-Whipped CD... whichj is probably why Herb returned the favor and guested on MW's CD...

--Mr Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom