• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Herb Vs Shorty Rogers: Magic Man

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike

I recently picked up a CD, “Lighthouse All Stars, Eight Brothers” for two reasons
(1) I was collecting Pete Jolly CDs
(2) The Song “Magic Man” was on it.

Artists on the CD: Shorty Rogers, Bud Shank, Pete Jolly, Conte Candoli, Bill Perkins, Bob Cooper, Monty Budwig, Larance Marable

I’ve listened to and compared Herb’s and Shorty’s version of “Magic Man”. I think Herb’s is better; Herb’s is more of a solo jazzy sound compared to Shorty’s orchestral big band sound. But, as a whole, the CD is very good.

The liner notes that come with the CD are a treat to read. A couple of excerpts:

Magic Man is [Shorty] Roger’s tribute to the courage and dignity of basketball player Ervin “Magic” Johnson.

[Pete] Jolly’s tour de force in this set is Roger’s arrangement of Battle Hymn of the Republic. Jolly’s two-handed orchestral pianistics make a case for him as a world-class mainstream pianist.

So… has anyone else heard this CD? Have any thoughts to share on the two versions of “Magic Man”?

I haven't heard this version of "Magic Man", but it's funny how the notes say that this is Shorty Rogers' tribute to Magic Johnson, since Herb said in the "Abstract Heart" VH-1 special that he wrote it with Magic Johnson in mind. Herb also does another version of the song on his Colors album, but it pales in comparison.

If you want to hear something cool - and if you have the vinyl version of "Magic Man" - play it at the 45 rpm speed. I accidentally did that once and the rhythm section sounded very hip at that speed.

Capt. Bacardi

I too was confused on who wrote “Magic Man”… I’m still confused! I thought Herb wrote it too, and was surprised to see the credit in the CD given to Shorty.

Is there a definitive source to clear this up?

Mike said:
I too was confused on who wrote “Magic Man”… I’m still confused! I thought Herb wrote it too, and was surprised to see the credit in the CD given to Shorty.

Is there a definitive source to clear this up?

According to the sheet music I have it was written by Herb Alpert, Michael Stokes and Melvin Ragin. Is it the same song, or is it just the same title?

Capt. Bacardi

The two versions are dissimilar, but I’ve heard many of Herb’s arrangements of other people’s music that was significantly different. However, the Magic Johnson connection can’t be overlooked. Strange!

That must have been one of the later songs that Shorty Rogers recorded. Mike--are there any songwriting credits on your CD? Would be curious to see if it's the same song or not.

The CD lists "Magic Man" Shorty Rogers

It doesn't say "written by, or arranged by, it just list's his name after the song.

The only other thing is the liner note: Magic Man is Roger’s tribute to the courage and dignity of basketball player Ervin “Magic” Johnson.

Status
Not open for further replies.