🎷 AotW: CTI Herbie Mann - GLORY OF LOVE (SP-3003)

All the CTI releases

How Would You Rate This Album?

• ***** (Best)

Votes: 3 33.3%

Votes: 2 22.2%

Votes: 4 44.4%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • * (Worst)

• Never Heard This Album

• Total voters

Captain Bacardi

Herbie Mann
GLORY OF LOVE

A&M/CTi SP-3003

sp3003.jpg

Released 1967
Peaked at #3 on Jazz Charts (1968), #151 on Pop Charts

Format: Vinyl/8-Track/Reel-to-Reel

Produced by Creed Taylor

Songs:
  • 1. No Use Crying (Gaines/Kober/Daniels) - 3:00
    2. Hold On, I'm Comin' (Hayes/Porter) - 3:10
    3. Glory Of Love (Billy Hill) - 2:45
    4. Unchain My Heart (F. James/A. Jones) - 3:12
    5. House Of The Risin' Sun (Arranged by Roy Glover) - 3:09
    6. The Letter (Wayne Carson) - 3:20
    7. Upa, Neguinho (E. Lobo/G. Guarnieri) - 2:40
    8. Love Is Stronger Than We (Barouh/Lai/Keller) - 3:07
    9. Oh, How I Want To Love You (Herbie Mann) - 4:33
    10. In And Out (Herbie Mann) - 5:30

Musicians:
Herbie Mann - Flute
Roy Glover - Piano, Organ (10)
Roland Hanna - Piano (10), Organ (10)
Paul Griffin - Piano (7)
Ron Carter - Bass
Earl May - Bass (2, 6, 8 )
Gardy Tate - Drums
Herb Lovelle - Drums (7)
Ted Sommer - Vibes (7)
Roy Ayers - Vibes (2, 6, 8 )
Ray Barreto - Percussion
Ted Sommer - Percussion (7)
Johnny Pacheco - Percussion (7)
Eric Gale - Guitar
Jay Berliner - Guitar (7)
Sonny Sharrock - Guitar (2, 6, 8 )
Hubert Laws - Flute & Piccolo
Ernie Royal - Trumpet & Flugelhorn (7)
Burt Collins - Trumpet & Flugelhorn (7)
Benny Powell - Trombone (7)
Joe Grimaldi - Saxophone (7)

Recorded at Van Gelder Studio
Rudy Van Gelder, Engineer
Recorded July 26, 27; September 19; October 6, 1967

Cover Photographs by Pete Turner
Album Design by Sam Antupit
Liner notes by Al Bennett

Capt. Bacardi

Last edited by a moderator:
I finally found a copy of this album last fall, and I'm so glad I did. This is really good album! I half-expected this to be another CTI orchestral thing, but this is a funky, bluesy effort on Mann's part. He wails on this album!!! Sometimes the songs start off somewhat weak, especially on cover tunes like "Unchain My Heart", but once the solos start things start cookin'. I love this version of "Hold On, I'm Comin'", which is about the only swinger here. "Upa, Neguinho" is an upbeat Brazilian stomp, and is the only song with extra horns. The rest of the tunes are a small group. And they certainly saved the best song for last - "In And Out", which has both Mann and Hubert Laws going at it. At first during the solos they try to copy each other as they trade 4's, then they take off in their own flight. A great effort!

BTW, "Glory Of Love" was the opening song in "Guess Who's Coming To Dinner?", as well as being an older tune. I also notice that Sonny Sharrock (misspelled as "Sunny" on the cover) guests on a couple of tunes. He went on to his own fame as a wild guitarist in the 70's and early 80's. Haven't heard about him in quite a while, though.

(Reissued on CD as CD0827 in 1988)

I've never seen this album on CD. Just another one I need to look for... :rolleyes:

Rudy said:
-= N =-
...who hasn't heard this one yet... :D

Dude, trust me, find this album! :cool:

Capt. Bacardi
NP: Herbie Mann - Glory Of Love

It was available in the Audio Master Plus series. To be honest, the track on the Volume 1 sampler didn't do much for me--very slow. If they'd put one of the upbeat tracks on the sampler, I would have bought this album when it was re-released.

Need to check the usual sources... :wink:

-= N =- :badteeth:

Found a copy on eBay but...umm... :evil: (Methinks the current bidder looks miiiighty familiar! :badteeth: )

GEMM lists quite a few LPs, and I also discovered there was a Japanese CD release under POCM-5022. (Not sure if it's recent, or dates from the late 80's or early 90's.)

CD listing I found on GEMM was for that company called "Rockhouse." Seems they just list everything, and often can't deliver. Very pricey also. With a one-star rating, I won't touch 'em.

-= N =-

Rudy said:
Found a copy on eBay but...umm... :evil: (Methinks the current bidder looks miiiighty familiar! :badteeth: )

Oh, uh, that's me. :D The copy I have is rather scratchy, so I'm looking for a cleaner version to dub to CD-R.

Capt. Bacardi

Rudy said:
It was available in the Audio Master Plus series. To be honest, the track on the Volume 1 sampler didn't do much for me--very slow. If they'd put one of the upbeat tracks on the sampler, I would have bought this album when it was re-released.

-= N =- :badteeth:

Yeah, that wasn't one of the stonger tracks. I forgot about this being on the AM+ series. I oughta look for that as well.

Capt. Bacardi

I was just going through the liner notes again on this LP, and it says that Herbie Mann was featured on a beer commercial when this album was released. Does anybody remember which beer it was? I don't recall it at all.

Capt. Bacardi
NP: Neil Larsen - Jungle Fever

Well, it wasn't Billy Beer.
throwup.gif

Was pondering this weekend how an 18 pack of Michelob Lite costs $11.96 and a 30 pack of Busch is $10. Ugh.

-= N =-
...beer so cheap, it doesn't even change color on the way through!

Almost all Herbie Mann's albums in the 60s were on Atlantic and sold well. I wonder why he went to A&M from 1967-68 and then back to Atlantic.

Trivia question: what other artist went from Atlantic to A&M and back to Atlantic during his solo career? (Mr. Bill knows the answer already)

I haven't heard this album either. I've been meaning to get it for some time, though, since Herbie and Hubert are two of my four major idols on flute (the other two being Jerome Richardson and Bud Shank). Heck, I'm practically drooling on my keyboard just reading about Mann and Laws trading fours!

- William

Answer to question: David Crosby, who recorded (solo and CSNY) for Atlantic, moved to A&M for his 1989 album OH YES I CAN and returned to Atlantic for his next solo outing.

This is an outstanding album. I especially liked "The Letter" which was a hit by a group called the Box Tops at about that same time.

Later, Herbie appeared on the Soul Flutes album billed as only "Flute Mann", so I guess Atlantic found out he sidled over to A&M and didn't much care for the idea.

Seeing Herbie "live" at that time was quite an experience. He liked to gyrate a lot when he played. David "Fathead" Newman was in the band for a two-flute front line. He had Sonny Sherrock go nuts on guitar once a show...He didn't play much otherwise.

Before that, he had a big hit with "Memphis Underground" so his records sold very well at that time. Atlantic must have had about sixty HM albums. Later, he went Disco.

As popular as the Box Tops version of "The Letter" was on the charts,IMHO Joe Cocker has the best version of that song. Herbie Mann did indeed release a multitude of varied forms on his Atlantic albums,some good right out of the box,some got better in retrospect and some,well,that disco stuff... . He also prduced a few interesting albums on his boutique label,Embryo,which may have come about as a result of his wanderings away from Atlantic. Ron Carter,Miroslav Vitous(original bass player for Weather Report) and Phil Woods. Chick Corea, Fathead Newman,Sonny Sharrock and Ben Tucker are a few true jazz greats who owe something to the time spent touring and/or recording with Herbie. A&M/CTI vocalist Tamiko Jones was also discovered by Herbie. Cap'n-I hadn't read this thread from last May throughly-Sonny Sharrock died of a heart attack in 1994 at age 53 but not before giving the world the theme to "Space Ghost:Coast to Coast" on the Cartoon Network. Mac

Rudy said:
HERBIE MANN
GLORY OF LOVE
SP3003 (Released 1968)

(Reissued on CD as CD0827 in 1988)

Produced by Creed Taylor
Engineered by Rudy Van Gelder at Van Gelder Studios

Tracks 1, 3-5 and 9 Recorded on July 26, 1967
Track 10 Recorded on July 27, 1967
Track 7 Recorded on Sept 19, 1967
Tracks 2, 6 and 8 Recorded on Oct 6, 1967
Tracks 1, 3-5 Arranged & Conducted by Roy Glover
Tracks 2, 6, 8-10 Arranged & Conducted by Herbie Mann
Track 7 Arranged & Conducted by Herb Bernstein

No Use Crying -- Ray Charles song. An instrumental you can slow dance to. Ask that real PURTY one over therrre... Or shop to...heard over the speakers at the local supermarket years ago, too.

Hold On I'm Coming -- The Sam & Dave song. Improvised in the very "Mann-ley" way. Herbie entitled a Live album after it and even did his "Memphis Underground" on it, too. Listen for it on his MEMPHIS UNDERGROUND album, as well. And the title track of M/U was also done Live on an LP Herbie recored in 1980, MELLOW.

Glory Of Love -- Mann really gets this one SWINGIN'! You almost don't recognize it right away. Guitarist Eric Gale inserts some real tasty notes in it, too.

Unchain My Heart -- Here is another one Herbie just had to use a bit of his "outreach" technique to give it a lot of hooks that it has. He can really blow on this one, without it getting Overblown.

House Of The Rising Sun -- Listen for this one on A&M's first Various Artists Sampler, FAMILY PORTRAIT. It is very much like the version The Animals had done at the same time. Hard to believe this song Mann "makes his own" is the one of the most recorded Public Domaine compositions.

The Letter -- Good finish for Side 1. Roy Ayers ("Go Roy!!") really shows off those Vibes! Nice, economical organ playing by Roland hanna. Well Improvised without being Imposing.

Upa Neguinho -- Here's a real upbeat version of a song by Sergio Mendes you wonder if Herbie Mann tried out before doing his remake. Complete with a horns, vocals and a lot of percussion. Only track with singing on it, too. And the piano solo is a nice touch.

Love Is Far Stronger Than We -- Here's a nicely done piece that just seems to feature flute, drums, vibes and acoustic bass. Forgot which other A&M artist covered it in the seventies, but it does have vocals that SHE gives it.

Oh, How I Want To Love You -- This is a nice lil' Cha-Cha done here. Pushed the ol' shopping cart during it, too. Herbie later made a (to me) less pleasing version of it in '78 on his BRASIL ONCE AGAIN album. This one contains his most interesting flute work and some almost Rock'N'Roll guitar playing, including a solo, as well.

In And Out -- This nice lil' number resembles a song he did "Sports Car", which I played the album of (forgot which one) at a store and never bought. Just a bass, drums and his flute are heard. Just the kind of a "closing" piece this album needs. Takes Us Home, Mann!

Very articulate enunciation by Herbie Mann and as usual, his band of musicians he guides through the material, always seem to be with him or at least understands him perfectly, while, mutually, he gives way to their contributions as well. ***** -- Five Stars!

Rudy said:
-= N =-
...who hasn't heard this one yet... :D

Hmmm...HOW could you have MISSED this??!! :D FIRST A&M/CTi I bought and still have THAT copy of it, too. Being the Herbie Mann collector I am!:cool:

With an ocre label, as well--though have seen later silver and tan labels, white labels and even an AM+ Audiophile label, as well.

Dave

"Glory of Love" is a terrific record. The first A&M/CTI I bought was the first one, "A Day In The Life" by Wes Montgomery. Another great record. At the time we were thrilled that A&M was getting into the jazz business.

I always felt that the BMB should have done a record on that jazz label. Just the travelling BMB with maybe a couple guest stars or that wonderful string section that accompanied some of the albums. I thought "Can You Dig It" was a shot at something jazzier. But if you've ever heard it, it sounded like there was something missing, like a solo track was left out.

Happy New Year to all you great A&Mers! Glory of Love is one of my most played CTI/A&M recordings. In fact I used to own it on vinyl, open-reel, and finally on cd. This one, like Jobim's "Stone Flower" is a high quality product. Herbie lets all hell run loose when needed and also plays more sensually on the required ballads. His choice of musicians here is impeccable. Eric Gale and the late great Sonny Sharrock tear it up on guitars, as does Roy Ayers on kickass vibes, particularly in "The Letter". None of this would be complete without my favorite drummer Grady Tate who is outstanding with his syncopations and rythmic glue. Smokin' album.
That's the "ying" of it, the "yang" is on the sensual ballads, particularly "Our Love Is Stronger Far Than We" by Francis Lai of "A Man And A Woman"
fame. This is a hauntingly beautiful ballad. Sadly this is an underrated effort.If you don't have any Herbie Mann albums, by all means start here...

Yes, I bought GLORY OF LOVE, maybe not FIRST, but at least when I bought PUSH, PUSH and MEMPHIS UNDERGROUND. Which was months after I bought my first HM LP, DISCOTHEQUE.:cool:

Was really impressed with the songs Herbie Mann did, his flute as a very impressive lead instrument, and much of his sidemen being VERY involved on Herbie's albums and giving them their BEST playing as they would on other peoples works, as well. Particularily Tony Levin, going from being a frequent sideman with Mann and later joining King Crimson, with a lot of very interesting stops in-between. :D

And yes, I sooner saw GLORY OF LOVE on that A&M Inner-Sleeve before noticing his much more recognized and acclaimed career on Atlantic and even making an obscure Columbia LP and one or two for Prestige, and a short-lived Atlantic-subsidiary, Embryo.

Dave:cool:

Dave-Embryo was not just a short lived subsidiary of Atlantic but a boutique label run by Herbie Mann and distributed by Atlantic's Cotillion division. Without a definitve Herbie Mann bio available to me,I would speculate that Herbie's straying from Atlantic led to the formation of Embryo. The Erteguns have said that they didn't care how many labels were created as long as they controlled them financially through disdtribution. Embryo lasted throughout most of the '70s and released more than a few interesting albums-some not appeciated till years later,as is the case with much jazz music. Miroslav Vitous had a fine release,INFINTE SEARCH,which did not get its due till Mirslav was in the early incarnations of Waether Report. This album bears much resemblence to Miles Davis' IN A SILENT WAY,with Herbie Hancock and John McLaughlin adding to the Davis connection. Atlantic later released this as MOUNTAIN IN THE CLOUDS,but Collectables has it on CD with the original Embryo title and artwork. Other intersting albums were by Ron Carter,Artie Lawrence(with his kids playing in the background),Phil Woods,William S. Fischer,Attila Zoller and,a persaonal favorite,Sandy Nassan. Herbie earlier recordings were for Norman Granz on Verve-a few of which have seen the light of day on CD. Mac

The IH-NS-6 Inner Sleeve incorrectly shows SP 3003 as Tamba 4, We And The Sea... First A&M/CTi LP that I bought and first non-Atlantic Herbie Mann album I bought, too... Besides a Herbie Mann on Prestige, which featured Tel Aviv, as well as Coming Home Baby (maybe the latter was the album title; forgot...)

Good showcase of Herbie's pristine flute playing against some Jazz, Pop and even Rock improvasions... Stand-Out cuts are The Letter, House Of The Rising Sun and (the previously done by Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66-inspired) Upa, Neguinho...

No Use Crying, Oh, How I Want To Love You and Hold On, I'm Coming are fun songs to play my guitar with; had my headphones plugged into my guitar amp as the record played through my speakers, one time when I "played along" with this...

I do enjoy this outing a lot, to this day!

Dave

It took me well over a year to get into this album. At first, I couldn't get "flute jazz." Within the past few months I took out the LP and gave it a serious listen again, and came away very impressed with the subtleties of the flute work and Roy Ayers' vibes. "Love is Stronger Far than We" is my favorite track. "Hold On, I'm Comin'" gets better treatment in his later album for Atlantic, Memphis Underground. Overall, a number of good moments here, but some of the songs seem to pass innocuously. Three stars.

I love this album! I love Eric Gales guitar work, and Roy Ayers on vibes. Grady Tate is my favorite jazz drummer. The late great Ray Barretto is also here on congas I believe. Herbie was a wonderful musician, and will be missed. If anyone here has not heard his early 60's recordings with Joao Gilberto, and Jobim, you are missing great music. :love:

This is a fairly pleasant recording. Nothing earth shattering, but nice. Herbie Mann seems to fit in perfectly with this style, which seems to be a precursor to his more famous Memphis Underground album on Atlantic, especially with tunes like "Oh, How I Want To Love You". I love the energy he puts out on "Hold On, I'm Comin'" and "Unchain My Heart". "Glory Of Love" is the theme to "Guess Who's Coming To Dinner". There's a much needed spark in "Upa, Neguinho", a bit of a Brazilian romp. Of course, the highlight of the album is the Mann/Laws bluesy jam of "In And Out", which I could listen to over and over. 3 & 1/2 stars from me.

I have the original vinyl, but would love to find the Audio Master Plus version of this LP.

Capt. Bacardi
NP: Herbie Mann - Glory Of Love

Back
Top Bottom