• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Herb's networks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin
Someone recently mentioned one of the TV specials as being on NBC, which got me to thinking.

I seem to recall that the first two specials at least were originally aired on CBS, with at least one of them repeating on NBC.

It's probably true that THE BRASS ARE COMIN' was originally on NBC. Did it get a repeat?

And my original audio tape of the SENTRY special clearly places it on ABC.

This means that Herb made the rounds of the big three back in the day.

Anyone have clearer memories or facts?

Harry
NP: radio at work

"The Brass Are Comin'" was most definitely on NBC, peacock and all. Not sure about the Sentry special, but I think it was ABC.

David,
hope this helps

the tjb first tv special that was originally on cbs back in april 1967.that was repeated in december that year on NBC. and the last tv special the one sentry sponcered was on ABC back in 1974. I got on trade all of them
bob

So far, I think it works out like this:

rlogo_cbs.gif
rlogo_nbc.gif
1. SINGER PRESENTS HERB ALPERT & THE TIJUANA BRASS originally aired on CBS, later rerun on NBC

rlogo_cbs.gif
2. THE BEAT OF THE BRASS originally aired on CBS. Was there a rerun?

rlogo_nbc.gif
3. THE BRASS ARE COMIN' originated on NBC (complete with appearances by then-NBC stars Johnny Carson and Lorne Greene).

rlogo_abc.gif
4. SENTRY INSURANCE SPECIAL aired on ABC, confirmed by my audio copy. The video copy I have indicates that it was originated in England on ATV. Sentry must've been the American company that sponsored it over here in the US - there's really no mention of it throughout the special the way Singer was in the early specials.
ATV_Button.jpg

Harry
...answering some of his own questions, online...

Harry said:
rlogo_cbs.gif
rlogo_nbc.gif
1. SINGER PRESENTS HERB ALPERT & THE TIJUANA BRASS originally aired on CBS, later rerun on NBC
This, about a year before:
rlogo_nbc.gif
Singer Presents Elvis on NBC -- a show which has come to be known as the "'68 Comeback Special."

So who sponsored The Beat of the Brass?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom