• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Herb's Restaurant/Jazz Club

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Sidoruk

Founder, A&M Fan Net
Staff member
Time slows as the bass player picks out a trail of notes and the piano follows like a frisky dog out for walk, running off, coming back, circling around the old standard, until it settles down and walks alongside the bass and drums.

It's been a long day, but here, cosseted in a high-backed banquette at Vibrato, a new grill and jazz lounge at the top of Beverly Glen, I'm contentedly listening to cool West Coast jazz as I wait for friends -- no hurry -- to join me for dinner.

The club, founded by trumpeter and record company mogul Herb Alpert and Pasadena restaurateurs Bob and Gregg Smith (of Parkway Grill, Arroyo Chop House, Smitty's and the Crocodile Cafes), has a distinctly urban vibe. Designed by Clodagh, the Irish-born New York designer who goes by just one name, it's as chic and contemporary as anything in a shelter magazine. The blond wood walls have a subtle plait of dark and light. A fire burns in a fawn-colored stucco fireplace in the corner, and a fleet of accent lamps glows like fireflies in the semi-darkness.

So what's this club doing tucked in a pokey shopping center next to a lingerie shop and Pets of Bel-Air?

Though there's parking galore in the lot, a valet stands at attention in front of the restaurant. The exterior is lighted up like Las Vegas, and near the entrance, a few reprobates are sneaking a smoke.

At the massive wood and granite bar, a handful of music buffs are already settled in beneath bronze busts of Satchmo, trombonist Tyree Glenn and clarinetist Barney Bigard, blowing their horns overhead like angels at the pearly gates.

Most jazz clubs are somewhat seedy -- that's part of the appeal. This one, though, has a kind of uptown glamour, with three rows of tables arranged in a horseshoe around the stage. The sound system is first rate, and the stage could even be called elegant. The musicians are silhouetted against a burnt orange stucco wall, bathed in the warm light bouncing off giant copper half-spheres hung from the ceiling. Upstairs are more tables and private rooms that look down on the scene.

I watch as the hostess leads my friends across the room. Their eyes are shining. I didn't mention the destination was a jazz club. They both love music and I knew they'd enjoy the surprise of finding Vibrato in this oddball location not far from Mulholland Drive. We still want to visit and even with the music, it seems quieter in this room than in any number of earsplitting restaurants I could name. So you can talk. Or not. Whatever you feel like.

Despite little or no publicity, jazz aficionados have been showing up in droves. The first time I called for a reservation, every weekend night I asked for was already fully booked, Madam, so I tried a weeknight instead. Much easier, but still difficult at the last minute. Vibrato features live music every night, and except for big-name musicians, it's mostly no cover charge.

With the Smith brothers involved and a chef from Nick & Stef's downtown steakhouse, the chophouse menu is a natural. And though chef Sharon Funt has fancied up some of the dishes, the best strategy here is the simpler the better.

That means oysters on the half shell, which are sometimes available in three or four varieties, including Fanny Bay from the Northwest, Wellfleet from Massachusetts, and Malpeques from Nova Scotia. They arrive icy and slippery, ready to wash down with a gulp of Pouilly-Fumé or Bordeaux blanc.

Though there is a pretty good wine list, at least for a jazz club, with choices from California, France, Italy and further afield, most people are drinking cocktails Rat Pack style, not blue or green martinis. Here it's vodka martinis, straight up, with an olive, or else tumblers of Scotch or Bourbon.

Don't let anyone talk you into ordering the garlic bread. Some things should be allowed to fade away, and this greasy travesty is one of them. Warm tomato toast doused in truffle oil should be consigned to oblivion as well.

Better to munch on the delicious skinny breadsticks with just the right crunch and level of salt.

The starting lineup

I don't think I've ever seen short ribs on a menu as an appetizer before, and Vibrato's is not at all a small portion. Order it anyway, or save it for a main course. These are tender and beefy, slicked with a chipotle barbecue sauce and served with a nice whole-grain mustard cole slaw.

Diver scallops on a doughy corncake are less successful than sliced citrus gravlax perched on potato knish. One night Spanish garlic prawns made a pleasant appetizer; another time they were overpowered by garlic and swimming in a dark, bitter sauce.

Thick milky slices of homemade mozzarella with pale out-of-season tomatoes would have been refreshing if this simple salad hadn't been subjected to more truffle oil -- why? -- and on top of that, decorated with balsamic vinegar. The two do not belong on one dish and it's questionable whether truffle oil belongs on any. Ever. Even the butter-lettuce salad, which could be lovely, is over-embellished with not only blue cheese (on top of green goddess dressing), but cherry tomatoes and at least a quarter-pound of bacon. Talk about gilding the lily.

As for main courses, steak is the way to go. They're prime, maybe not the top prime, but decent enough and aged for 40 days. The best I tried was the Kansas City, a bone-in New York available on special, but the hanger steak and the Porterhouse are both reliable choices too. Lamb chops are double-cut, thick and tender, though not particularly lamby.

The prime choice

One night we all burst out laughing when the waiter set the halibut special down at one place and the pounded veal chop Parmigiana down next to it. The first looked like an appetizer; the latter was four or five times bigger. Basically it's a veal pizza, with the pounded chop cooked to a crunch on the bottom and completely blanketed in red sauce and molten cheese, the kind of thing you'd expect to find in New York's Little Italy. It grows on you, though. And I'd enjoy that more than the pallid little piece of halibut in pea sauce or a blackened lamb shank tagine in another dark, acrid sauce.

Sides, though numerous and often inventive, are a bit uneven. Glazed root vegetables, a medley of roasted turnips, parsnips, carrots and more, is a lovely idea. Braised spinach is good too, and although the concept is appealing, eggplant baklava seems out of place with the entrées.

Everybody loves half and half: cottage fries (more like thick potato chips) with a mess of fried onion rings heaped on top. But baked-potato fanciers can get their spud salt-roasted, which seems to produce a particularly fluffy interior. Here comes that garlic again in the potato gratin, made with an aged Cheddar, which may not be the best choice for this rich, gooey dish. A ragout of Israeli couscous and chickpeas is done in by a powerful dose of garlic. I love garlic, but someone in the kitchen has a very heavy hand.

As for desserts, the simpler ones are better than the more sophisticated-sounding choices. My favorite by far is a buttery warm bread pudding, followed by Dr. Bob's ice creams.

The food at Vibrato is definitely better than at most jazz venues; it certainly offers more variety. And the best choices -- classic martinis, oysters on the half shell and prime steaks and chops -- seem fitting. Go for anything more complicated on the menu, and the cooking gets shaky.

At this club, it may be best to let the music carry the complexity. Alpert and his partners have come up with something unique for L.A: a sophisticated venue where live jazz and decent, if not great cooking, make for an exceptionally pleasant evening.

-- S. Irene Virbila
Times Restaurant Critic
March 17, 2004

Busts of trombonist Tyree Glenn, clarinetist Barney Bigard and trumpeter Louis Armstrong preside over the bar.

Vibrato
Ambience: Glamorous suburban supper club and jazz lounge with live music and tables arranged in a semicircle around the stage.
Service: Varies from the obsequious to the earnest and inexperienced.
Prices: Appetizers, $6 to $14; main courses, $26 to $35, sides, $6 to $9, desserts, $8.
Best dishes: Oysters, grilled lamb chops, Kansas City steak, pounded veal chop with mozzarella and tomato sauce, braised spinach, half and half (fried onions and potatoes), warm bread pudding, Dr. Bob's ice cream.
Wine list: Wide-ranging, with bottles to represent practically every winemaking region in the world, including South Africa, plus 24 wines by the glass. Corkage $25.
Best table: One of the high-backed booths at the back of the room.
Special features: Private rooms upstairs overlooking the stage.
Details: Full bar. Valet and lot parking.
Rating is based on food, service and ambience, with price taken into account in relation to quality.

Credit: L.A. Times

It sounds to controlled. I like jazz rooms where musicians can meet, you can be surprised at who's sitting in, and some very musical things happen unplanned. Is this the same club John Pisano plays? Tonight from 9 to 1 is the wonderful writer, arranger, and pianist, Mike Melvoin. Later...Jay

Jay: John Pisano plays at Spazio every Tuesday, and Pete Jolly is also at Spazio every other weekend (on a Friday or Saturday).

Alpert toots club's horn

Vibrato Grill & Jazz, backed by Herb Alpert, takes over at the former site of Rocco. Naturally, the sounds aren't quite the same.

By Don Heckman, Special to The Times

At first glance, the exterior of Vibrato, the new jazz grill at the top of Beverly Glen, doesn't appear all that different from its previous incarnation as Rocco — another, very different jazz grill. But the view that unfolds after a few steps inside Vibrato will be a shock to those who recall the quirky Rocco interior, with its zigzagged bar seating and patio-like dining area.

It's goodbye to all that at Vibrato. Designer Clodagh has raised the roof (literally), creating a high-ceilinged, semi-circular space with two levels of banquettes and tables, an elegant bar and semi-private upstairs rooms, all focused toward the centrally placed stage.

Rocco attendees might also be ruffled by the music, which declines to venture into the out-of-the-box sounds heard at the earlier room. On a recent Friday night, trombonist Bob McChesney led a determinedly mainstream group that included Southland jazz stalwarts Tamir Hendelman on piano, Trey Henry on bass and Kendall Kay on drums, with raven-tressed Calabria Foti handling the vocals. The music was dominated by familiar standards, with McChesney's fluidly mobile trombone playing and Foti's dark-toned singing leading the way.

Unlike the audiences at Rocco, who often sat mesmerized by adventurous dissonances and disjunct rhythms, the mostly mature-looking crowd for McChesney's opening set seemed more concerned with their 18-ounce steaks than the coolly engaging music.

One couple, seated at a table on the room's upper rim, paid little attention until Foti began to sing a slow ballad. But their awareness quickly waned.

"We really didn't come here specifically for the music," said Sam, a computer programmer in his 50s who declined to offer a last name. "Roberta and I live a few blocks away, and we've been here a few times since we first came for New Year's. It's sort of our neighborhood night life — with the good kitchen, all the action at the bar — and the music too."

That's not exactly the sort of last-place preference that keeps jazz clubs in business. But it represents one important aspect of the multipurpose idea veteran hit-maker and record executive Herb Alpert had in mind when he first decided to become Vibrato's principal backer.

"I like the idea of people getting jazz on a subliminal level," he said. "I know it can be a little distracting for the guys on the stage. But when they finish the tune and people start clapping — because they felt something that they liked — that's a good thing for the music. Then, at other times — and always on the nights when we have the Steve Tyrells — it becomes a lot less subliminal."

Alpert first thought of opening a club over a decade ago: "I was going to open up a club with Stan Getz, who was a close friend, called Uncle Stanley's. But when he passed that ended that idea."

A visible tribute to the plan remains, however, in a large Alpert painting in the Vibrato entryway, appropriately titled "Uncle Stanley." The less subliminal aspect of Vibrato's franchise began to come into focus near the end of the McChesney group's opening set, when the dining activity slowed, the rhythms livened and the attention shifted to the music.

"This is the way it goes," explained the room's amiable manager, Michel Keller. "The emphasis is on the food in the early part of the evening, and then, as we have more activity at the bar, the music moves into the foreground."

That's all well and good, but what about the nights when Vibrato becomes a full-out jazz room, with major international artists?

"Ah, that's very different," says Keller. "We stop the food and beverage service a half hour before the show and clear the tables. For those patrons who want drinks, we serve them in advance — one or even two, if that's what they want. Then we darken the lights and place the accent upon the stage and the music."

The transformation from fine dining to fine listening will take place regularly at Vibrato but in yet another unusual fashion: Major bookings are on Mondays through Wednesdays — off nights in most jazz rooms.

"That's really the idea," said bassist Pat Senatore, also the venue's music director. "On weekends we do well with the kitchen and the general vibe of the room. The bar's always busy. So we thought, 'Why not book local bands on the weekend and bring the big acts in early in the week?' We started with Steve Tyrell, and it worked fine."

The lineup currently includes Toots Thielemans and Kenny Werner (April 12-14), Bobby Hutcherson (April 19-21), Chuck Mangione (May 10-12), Kenny Barron (May 17-19), and Gary Burton and Makoto Ozone (July 19-21), with more to be added.

"There are a lot of artists I'd love to have at Vibrato," Alpert said. "They don't know it yet, but if they see the place, feel it and see how comfortable it is to play on the stage, they'll love it. Because the real concept — whoever's on stage — is to present jazz up close and personal, acoustically as much as possible, in a real cozy environment."

Credit: L.A. Times

It sounds like Herb is doing for the jazz club scene what he did for the record industry...slightly off-center, out-of-the-mainstream ; an alternative...it worked for A&M, and I'll bet it'll work for Vibrato, too...

It's too rich for my blood, but I'd LOVE to visit sometime...glad to hear that Toots Thielmans is still actively playing...and I'll bet it won't be long before John Pisano drops by...

The restaraunt business can really be unpredictable...you have to have a reputation for service and value...THAT'S what keeps people coming back. Gimmicks don't work...whatever you do, you have to do it well...and you have to be consistent. It sounds like the club is still finding it's place; at least from the earlier post...it will take a little time to smooth out the bumps. The menu is a little exotic, and some of the dishes appear to be difficult to prepare...I predict that some of them will disappear .

A successful club needs a good staff, quality food and drink, good service, and first-rate entertainment. It sounds like Herb is on the right track...now if only some reissued digital tortillas were offerred on the menu...even take-out...

Dan, who's been in the food business for the last 5 years...

You know, the more I think about this article the more I'm impressed with what Herb's doing, especially giving local musicians a chance to shine when the club is filled with dinner patrons. The big names jazz names can draw a crowd anytime, so this is a great way for lesser-known jazzers to get their names out there. And as usual, Herb isn't necessarily putting his name out there first, but instead is lending a helping hand for these guys. Little wonder he's revered in the music world.

Capt. Bacardi
NP: Herb & TJB - The Charted Hits

L.A. is just flat-out lucky. Comparatively speaking, Detroit is desolate when it comes to that kind of music. We do get major acts, but not as frequently, and not as many. It's just sad to think that clubs like Vibrato can only exist in a musically-rich city like L.A. or NYC...and elsewhere, jazz clubs can't find enough patrons, or performing acts, to stay in business.

Austin is starting to have the same problem. Many of the live music venues have gone to the DJ format. Our main entertainment scene is 6th Street, and there's not nearly as many live bands as there was during the 80's when it flourished. Jazz clubs have been hit the hardest, of course. During the 80's I had plenty of big band gigs in clubs, whereas now most of the big band dates are private parties, and even that is getting rarer.

Maybe Herb can open a club here! :wink:

Capt. Bacardi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom