• 'Til There Was You

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • A Taste Of Honey (Bonus Track)

Votes: 2 6.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mike said:
I’m partial to “Something Cool”. I like the poetry of the lyrics. Had this song been written in the ‘50s or ‘60s I think it could have easily been recorded on a Sinatra LP;

It was written in the 50's - June Christy had a hit with it in the 50's.

But I agree, "Something Cool" has grown on me, even though I'm not a big fan of Herb's singing. But this arrangement just seems to suit him.

Capt. Bacardi

Perhaps the omitted tunes weren't ready for prime time so to speak? Maybe they will polish them for the summer leg of their tour?

pdxet2 said:
Perhaps the omitted tunes weren't ready for prime time so to speak? Maybe they will polish them for the summer leg of their tour?

Trust me, "Call Me" is up and ready. I've watched in rehearsal and live at Vibrato. Like I said before, Tony Hatch would be proud. Très chic 60's London cool, especially when Herb's horn joins in.

I don't know why it spooked Lani. Word is "someone" said it was too slow. I think they got a bad "note" after the show. It was in the perfect slot at Vibrato. I thought. Why not just add it to the set list some where? It only takes up 3 minutes and it adds another great song from the new CD to the
set. Another thought why not make it more like the original CD version and get rid of the "stark opening" and maybe the "call and response" with Bill" if that is "what is too slow"?

My other side note - Why not get rid of the "intro solo jam" it doesn't serve as an "entrance" vehicle for Herb. It seems forced. Just start with "Besame". Light it up and have him walk on stage if the powers that be deem he needs an "entrance". Sinatra needs a "entrance" not Herb. I liked it better when he & Lani walked on together.

Just my two cents folks. :D

I picked up my copy of "I Feel You" in London last week at the HMV flagship store on Oxford Street. I really enjoy coming into a well stocked music shop and being able to pick up and buy a new CD at the register. Who would have thought that to be such a rare pleasure in 2011? It seemed it was just in as a "special import". The last days have been very busy and I have only listened to the album two or three times. I must say I quite like it. It seems to be growing every time I give it a spin. Herb's playing is great and Lani vocals are really expressive and original. Favorites this far are Cast Your Fate To The Wind and There Will Never Be Another You.

- greetings from the cold and very snowy north -
Martin

Rather than write my own review of the album, all I need to say is that I agree almost entirely with the Captain's excellent review (wholeheartedly concur on the 'deconstruction' notion) except that I'm perhaps a little more lukewarm on 'Blackbird' and a bit keener on 'WNML' than he is.

Overall, I really like this album a lot. Perhaps more so than "Anything Goes" which is a really nice live album, but this studio effort goes much further. Last year in London, Herb & Lani described it to me as "not pure jazz and not pure pop but somewhere in-between" and that seems to sum it up nicely. yes, it has quite dark tinges, but also some lovely chords ("Here Comes The Sun" is playing as I write this, and I can hear echoes of some classic Mike Post arrangements in the chord construction).

Only one major gripe. On "Call Me" the keyboard track is unacceptably noisy (hissy) and to make matters worse, it gets punched-in and -out at various places in the mix. I suspect the keyboard was direct injected into the mixing desk and that it's the electronics in the keyboard itself that are suspect. Even so, it rather spoils a wonderful recording for me.

Chicago Sun-Times review of I FEEL YOU:

http://www.suntimes.com/entertainme...in-control-cd-reviews-of-recent-releases.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pop

Herb Alpert and Lani Hall, “I Feel You” (Concord) ★★★

It’s been almost 10 years since Herb Alpert and Lani Hall stepped into a recording studio to make music, and this outing was so worth the wait. Glorious phrasing, smart improvisations and that instrumental-vocal symbiosis that has been the couple’s trademark for more than 30 years all contribute to a lush, funky, musical journey through some pop classics and standards.

Highlights (and there are more than a few) include a completely reinvented and reinvigorated “Moondance” with a serious dose of hand-drums; the Caribbean breeziness of “Cast Your Face to the Wind,” and the samba-driven “Blackbird.”

Bassist Hussain Jiffry (in a band of standouts) finds the perfect groove at every turn to caress everything Alpert so eloquently dishes out. Close your eyes and just feel the rhythm of this very special musical journey.

Miriam Di Nunzio

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Harry

TonyCurrie said:
Only one major gripe. On "Call Me" the keyboard track is unacceptably noisy (hissy) and to make matters worse, it gets punched-in and -out at various places in the mix. I suspect the keyboard was direct injected into the mixing desk and that it's the electronics in the keyboard itself that are suspect. Even so, it rather spoils a wonderful recording for me.

I'm just not feeling you on this Tony.

Are you listening on your suspect MiniDisc player?!:cool:

I have a nice...all right a REALLY nice system that I bought when I had "FU" money and I'm just not hearing any bad punch-ins.

Smooth as London rain in my opinion. Tony Hatch would be proud.

Mike said:
I’m partial to “Something Cool”. I like the poetry of the lyrics. Had this song been written in the ‘50s or ‘60s I think it could have easily been recorded on a Sinatra LP; one of his moody album endeavors like “Only the Lonely”. Herb’s vocals were perfect for the song – I think he really nailed the tone of the song’s message. Maybe his best vocal since “This Guy’s In Love With You”.

Mike

I totally agree. I was curious about "Something Cool" and did a quick Google search and found there is a version by June Christy which was recorded in 1954 on Capitol Records.

I got my copy but haven't played it yet....we'll be taking a plane trip next week so I'll have some quality headphone time.

abstract_fan said:
Not much buzz about the new CD, three weeks later. I wish Herb and Lani would record together with a big band.

Maybe there will be more buzz once they start touring again.

Well, I finally got my copy of I Feel You (and Anything Goes).

It was truly serenditpitous finding them without having to use Amazon or another on line method! My wife and I were attending a "Returning Warrior Workshop" that all deployers to the warzone are supposed to do soon after they return. It was held on Coronado at a hotel just outside Naval Air Station North Island (where I've spent 22 of my 30 years in service) so we decided to get some snacks, beverages etc at the Base Exchange after the first night's activities were complete.

On a whim I checked the one row of jazz CDs (squeezed between 30 rows of "Rap" and 10 rows of "Country") expecting to find the usual Jim Braun and a few New Age items. I was shocked when I saw I Feel You and grabbed it, telling my wife, "Oh my gawd! They actually have Herb & Lani's new CD! Now I don't have to order it." I immeidately said, "now I'll be shocked if I find the first one." I no sooner said that and flipped a CD or two more and sure enough I also found Anything Goes!!!

The seminar took a lot of our time, so I couldn't give them a spin right away. But I did manage to give both a listen in the van when we took a drive up to Disneyland to meet with some relatives we've not seen in almost ten years. I enjoyed both, but have not yet decided on "favorites" from either one...

--Mr Bill

Hey Bill! Welcome home!

I got my first copy of “I Feel You” a few weeks ago at the Navy Exchange here in Yokosuka. Similar to you I was so shocked to see it that I immediately bought it. Then, a couple of days ago the advanced copy I ordered from Concord a couple months ago showed up in the mail; I had given up on seeing it in my lifetime.

Mike

Mike,

Great to hear from you! Glad you got both your copies. Never thought I'd see Herb in the Yoko NEX, though. Pretty amazing.

Well, I hope you're not glowing in the dark yet! Stay safe.

Hey Bill--do the Naval bases ever host any Marines (esp. for training)?

There are Marine units on most Navy bases. Marines ARE part of the Navy (but don't tell them that).

I got I Feel You the first day it was released, from Rhapsody. I have to admit that I haven't played it a second time, but I was wowed the first time and felt it was a shade better than Anything Goes. But let's face it, Herb's (and Lani's) music is always enjoyable, and after nearly 50 years, I'm just happy to hear his take (and re-take) on anything!

Hey A&M amigos, don't get to upset with me. I've listened to clips of the album and of course they were beautiful. But reading comments..."It's dark", or he "Channeled himself", and he "Makes totems" etc. has not motivated me to go out and buy it. I idolize Alpert & Hall, and my life is blessed but I don't need an album of "Sad" melodies. When I get melancholy I still turn to my 'South of the Border", or "Going Places", "SRO" or any of the TJB CDz and they lift me right up. I will definitely buy their new disc, but at the right time. Like I said earlier, "Don't get to upset with me." Peace............J:hide:

I wouldn't call it sad, either...in fact, in a lot of spots it's downright jaunty. Is it as "sunny" as the old TJB? No. It has seasoning.

Finally heard the CD last night. I liked "Cast Your Fate To The Wind" as my # 1. # 2 "Something Cool" & # 3 "Til' There Was You" Matt Clark Sanford, MI

I like this recording, but feel that Anything Goes is much better, predominantly bc it is live. And Steppin' Out is better than both IMHO! drs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom