• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

I really got all three today! [TJB - SPOILER WARNING]

Status
Not open for further replies.

stosh

A friend of mine went to college with a guy who now works for Shout! factory. He shipped three to my friend and I got all three in my hot little hands this afternoon. Beautiful packaging, not the standard all plastic jewel case but a plasticky fold out with a little pocket that holds the liner note booklet. (could these be the digipacks?) I wont spoil it for everyone else but they sound great. Lost treasures is just that, A TREASURE!!! Chris is already my favorite song on the album. P.S. this is no walterphil hoax, I really got em!!! You'all love it come the eighth.

Captain Dave,

Post as soon as you can after you get them. I'm curious if mine are digipak promos or if this is how they all will be packaged. My barcodes are magic markered out but had the shrinkwrap with the little description sticker on them. Probably how they all will be but you never know.

Listening to Julius and Me as I write this....

i wasn't "hardeeing" to rub your noses in anything

i was just "hardeeing" over the "walterphil hoax" reference yet again

(and, as i said mine are digipaks as well)

by the way ed, thanks for your nice words earlier this week
it helped as i was feeling very very very bad about everything

walt

Cd Universe website says digipaks for all the new releases. I think its a nicer package than the regular jewel case. Easier to get to the liner notes. But how long will they hold up?

Hopefully, I can keep them near mint. I'll burn "play copies" for myself, read the liner notes, and then they will go on the shelf. I'm going to try to handle them as little as possible.
Sheez, I sound like a comic book collector or something!

walterphil said:
i wasn't "hardeeing" to rub your noses in anything

i was just "hardeeing" over the "walterphil hoax" reference yet again

(and, as i said mine are digipaks as well)

by the way ed, thanks for your nice words earlier this week
it helped as i was feeling very very very bad about everything

walt

Anytime, Walter (or is it Phil?). Don't let this stuff get to you. The fact is you have the discs. That in and of itself should keep anything here from getting you down, right?...:wink:

Ed

DaveK

I did the exact same thing you said, opened 'em, played 'em once to check 'em out,read the liner notes, burned copies for the car, and now they are tucked safely away. Don't want to ruin these little gems

sick with a cold today so i've been catchin up on my listening. boy is it nice not to have to go to work on a monday.

one of the first things i did was drag out my copy of vol 2

i made 2 herb compilations (80 minute cds) from my vinyl several months ago. i would put a checkmark on the album cover (outside plastic of course) as i would put each song on the cd. well the first thing i realized was that i hadn't picked one song off of this album.

so i relistened to it. it ain't bad, but there are no real grabbers. "winds of barcelona" being the catchiest cut was done better later, and i think there is too much of the fake crowd noises all over the place. the recording is a bit flat. (that said i'm not a major lover of the debut lp either.) while it ain't bad also, i think things really took off with "south of the border". my fave herb lps are "going places" (of course) ninth (because it has my 3 faves ever (love nest, a banda & bud) & "beat of the brass." (that's my fave album cover too.)

the completest in me does hope they reissue vol 2 on cd, just to have em all of course. the lp graphics are stunningly beautiful. even the back cover is herberiffic. (i'm a graphic designer stuck in the sixties, much to my boss' annoyance). but i can see why they're puttin off reissuing it at this time.

by the way, diggin thru my 45's i found jukebox eps of "what now my love" & "beat of the brass". does anyone have any of these? i assume one was made for each lp. (also found a carpenters one.) they are pretty cool. they play at 33 and each has 6 songs.

wish i knew how to put pix on this site. i'd scan em for you.

lastly, any hal blaine fans here? is there a thread about his studio contributions? i must find a copy of his book

walt

When I first became a TJB fan, my favorite cut from V2 was "America." I still like that one a lot, but later, I became a fan of "Marching Through Madrid." It's just a haunting song, like a precursor to "Jerusalem."

I agree, V2 is one of the coolest of all the TJB covers.

just relistened to both songs on your recomendation

and one thing i'll say is the piercing sound of these old mono lps when cranked to the max is pretty analogally amazing.

"marching thru madrid" is nice. the chick with the high voice is cringetastic. where did they find her!?!?

As I mentioned before, I have heard the remastered (song) "The Lonely Bull," which sounds absolutely amazing!! Just the way (IMHO) Herb would have wanted a "stereo" version to sound. Everything is so perfectly balanced, whereas in the earlier mono-stereo conversion, it sounded more like two mono tracks placed in the right and left channels.

Makes me even more anxious for the 8th!!!

Jon

OK,the moderater says fire away about the music so here goes,

Julius and Me is the most '60's sounding song to me on the entire LOST TREASURES album. The sticker on the front says spanning 1963 to 1974. While I think they all sound pretty decent, ( I REALLY!!! don't like the UP CHERRY STREET version), I was hoping for more sixties sounding songs. Most of the songs on this CD are '70's sounding Herb. (NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT!!! )I was just hoping for more songs that could say, fit on an expanded GOING PLACES!. Herb himself says in the liner notes that he used the same trumpet from years back and wanted the same sound when he added the trumpet parts to Julius and Me. Opinions are like.....well lets just say I prefer the TJB sound to the later sounding Herb after THE BRASS ARE COMIN'.

Fire away folks, thats just how I feel.

also since you guys pointed out that there ain't much 60's material at all here, that's probaly one of the main reasons extra trax weren't included with each album. they're just ain't any! (or they're ain't any that uncie herb is happy with.)

also, it makes me think again about how i wish artist's wouldn't be in charge of releasing their old compilations or box sets. my favorite singer/songwriter of all time, laura nyro, redid the double anthology of her old stuff and it sucked. the one that columbia was planning was much more objective, interesting and historically accurate.

herb has already said that he isn't overly nostalgic for that era, and his decision about skipping over vol. 2, and his decision about pushing the 70's rarities, etc.

not that i'm complaining! his music is everything to me

hey (now that i think of it, why didn't he ever do a laura nyro song or two?) i'd like to hear his take on "stoned soul picnic". or "blackpatch" or "brown earth". bet they would have been sweet.

or my other fave, joni mitchell. "river," "all i want," "song to a seagull," ......

well, at least sergio did "chelsea morning"

this forum always makes me late for work!

Interesting to read others' thoughts here. Just from listening to the sound clips (which sound horrid) I thought many of the songs sounded like they were from the 60's. For those who already have the CD, does it mention anywhere which years the songs were recorded?

the liner notes are vague but you can kinda read between em. "the tijuana brass released 9 albums from 1962-1969, but there was plently left on the cutting room floor. lost treasures mines the best of the unheard lot,as well as some rarities: 22 songs spanning the entire career of the tijuana brass period and--in the case of a seriously funky* down-tempo cover of "fire & rain" even dips into the early seventies."

earlier herb states "on this cd you'll find a couple of songs i recorded in the early seventies, such as "promises promises," "raindrops," and a remake of "up cherry street" that were released on unsuccessful albums."

*about as seriously funky as a white man doin' the funky chicken

walty

Was "Raindrops" released before? What rae the "unsuccessful" albums. If he's talking about YSTB and Coney Island, I'd have to disagree. Some of his best work IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom