Interesting Billboard stuff. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMK

Contributor
I've been using the Google Books feature to go back through a bunch of old Sergio related articles and chart data. The first thing that really surprised me was how early in 1966 "Ma(i)s Que Nada" was out--charting as early as March on Easy Listening. Kind of surprising since the album didn't come out for so long after that.

A couple of other little tidbits--lots of good press for late Brasil '66 and early Brasil '77. Was kind of surprised to see "So Many People" listed as a featured pick in mid-summer 1971, at least a couple of months before the album appeared. Doesn't look like "Gone Forever" was ever released as a single (or at least never got a write up in Billboard), which kind of surprised me.

Really interesting 1977 article/IV with Sergio when "New Brasil '77" was charting where he talks about getting some significant push back from A&M over "Primal Roots". He also expresses his frustration over having been thought of as a "cover artist" during the Brasil '66 era.

Anyone with a spare hour or two to spend can find lots of little tidbits scattered through these old issues, many of which are available online now.

Interesting, I just mentioned Google Books in another thread.

Definitely a very effective time-killer once you get started. I've seen lots of Sergio articles but not the 1977 one you mentioned.....time to get searching!

In the strange but true department "Promise of a Fisherman" was a Top 5 single in Mexico in 1973, almost a year after "Primal Roots" was released in the U.S. (according to Billboard, anyway).

Also, I just realized the other day--I ended up with a ton of those "Autorip" MP3s from Amazon, one of them being Foursider, which I haven't listened to in years. The version of "Promise of a Fisherman" on that album eliminates the brief organ opening and starts with the percussion. I wonder if the single did that as well?

Found a couple of kind of funny mentions last night while I was poking around. Sergio evidently owned a company that was importing a Brazilian soft drink to the U.S., and he actually had several KFC franchises in Brazil! This was just when he got a bit on the chunky side (around Vintage '74)--mere coincidence? :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom