• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Jambalaya question

Status
Not open for further replies.

350hunny

Jambalaya is one of the most popular hit singles in Japan. If you see the Live In Japan video, you'll understand how people enjoy it at the concert.
Though the song was never released in US, it became a smash in England and Holland, too.
Now I wonder if this cajun dish was so popular then.
Would people wonder why they recorded it or put it out as a single release with a name of cajun cuisine?

Now forget Sukiyaki, #1 single in US by a Japanese singer. It could have been Fujiyama, Geisha or not. Not Ichiro, of course.

Here in Japan Jambalaya might be popular as a song title because fans of country & western music here loved it as a Hank Williams hit, but not as a dish.

I came to know and actually ate it in early 1980s for the first time.
I wonder if British and Dutch people knew what Jambalaya was then.

I guess US citizens may know how to pronounce it because of Hank's hit in 1952 (Karen mentioned in one of their concerts that it was a hit from 1953 but he had a hit with it in 1952 and he passed away on January 1, 1953. ) it's Jambalaya (jum-ba-lie-ya).

Funny thing is that if you look at the lyrics on the inner sleeve of Now & Then, you find 'fillet gumbo'.
Now do you know what 'fillet gumbo' is?
When you buy the Japanese release of Jambalaya,
this dish is always translated as okura soup with fillet:a piece of meat.
If you really know fillet gumbo, you know it's not quite and it's misspelt.
They say:
Gumbo is a kind of stew served over rice. It is thickened with either okra or file (fee-lay) powder (ground leaves of the sassafras tree). In the past, okra gumbo was made in the summer and file gumbo was made in the winter. Okra was used to thicken the gumbo in the summer because that was the only time fresh okra was available. Of course, these days you can get just about anything anytime of the year. File powder was used in the winter when fresh okra was unavailable.

So it is actually file' but I guess someone thought it would be easier if it was spelt as fillet so you could say fee-lay rather than as file or file' since other people were not so familiar with its spell or pronunciation.

Also, I wondered where is Thibodaux, Fontaineaux. They too spell it Thibodeaux, Fontenot but they say it likewise.
Through the 'Net, I find Thibodaux or Thibodeaux (tib-a-doe)(TIB-uh-doh
) in Louisianna but I can't find Fontaineaux or Fontenot.

I figured this was an imaginary place in Hank's mind and it doesn't matter if it is so. I found this little joke, too.

A middle-aged couple were driving through Louisiana on their way to visit
some relatives in Texas. They both noticed a sign for the town of Thibodaux.
This started a disagreement as to the correct pronunciation of the town.
When they got to the exit, they decided to stop for lunch and find out who
was right. They got into the restaurant and asked the gentleman taking their
order if he could pronounce, slowly, just where they were.
The man seemed a bit confused, but leaned forward and whispered,
"Brrrrr Grrrrrr King."

:laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom