• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Janis Hansen in The Carnival

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevenj

I was wondering if anyone else has The Carnival, a group formed by Jose Soares and Janis Hansen. I just purchased the cd from Dusty Groove and It is interesting. Listening to this work, a person can hear more of Janis without Lani, and for me really reinforces my opinion that Lani's sound really made the group. The treasure of this album is in the liner Notes where Janis spills the truth about the split-up of the original Brasil 66. According to Janis, the group complained about accommodations on the road, five dollar hotel rooms in New York City for the group and First rate hotel rooms for Sergio. She also complained of not being well paid and having to do six months of one nighters at a time. According to Janis, when confronted, Sergio fired them all. Lani was convinced by Herb to beg Sergio for her job back.

The studio recordings were produced by Bones Howe who decided to use studio musicians for the recording. To quote Janis "we had done a little bit of (live) playing, because we had this guy Walter Wanderley playing the organ who was really good and I believe we played a few gigs with him and Joao Palma and Bob Matthews and Soares. And it was really great. I think that's how Bones saw us or heard of us, (and) he said, 'You know, I should bake this group the Brazilian Fifth Dimension.' That was what the concept was".

I feel there are a couple of good tunes on this cd: Canto de Carnival, Laia Ladaia, Reach out for me, and Burt's Where There's a Heartache(There Must Be A Heart), and an interesting rendition of Son Of A Preacher Man. But the group lacks the swing of Walt Wanderely, and lacks the smooth quality of Brasil 66.

Anyway, I searched through the threads and didn't see mention of this cd on the site and while it is not one of my favorites in the Brazilian-pop genre, the liner notes and photos are worth the admission.

Jeez...where the heck have you been? :D Haven't seen you around here in ages! (Or at least since we had the old forum running!) How ya doin'??

(OK, sorry, off-topic... :wink: )

Hi Steven - long time no see.

I still have the original THE CARNIVAL album on LP, but haven't sprung for the CD. There were no such liner notes on the LP, so it sounds like this CD might be a must-have for us Brasil '66 geeks. Thanks for the tip.

Harry
NP: radio at work

The Carnival's been mentioned many-a-time 'round these parts. Not sure if any of the thread titles mention it. Janis was actually unaware that the original CD had been released. They contacted her several months ago for info on the new re-release which, as I mentioned a little while ago here, features for the first time the two United Artists singles that were made in anticipation of a second album that never materialized (World Pacific had been folded into UA by that time, though I think the actual connection is they were both "Transamerica" companies back then--shades of mergers and acquisitions to come). I haven't sprung for the new CD yet, but I remember how excited I was when I finally found the LP years ago. I think I mentioned this here before, too, but my sister-in-law actually went to a private party where The Carnival performed. After she raved about them to her classmate Derek Alpert, he got her the album, which she still has to this day.

My LP came from the throwaway pile at the radio station. Prior to tossing it, the station had played "Laia Ladaia" from the album.

I recall the earliest discussions on the old forum here where it was pretty much just a supposition that Janis Hansen was involved. And I recall a recent mention of the CD being available and I just hadn't gotten around to acquiring one. That's a dangerous tactic with some of these obscure discs - they go out of print so quickly.

But this thread served as a reminder and I've now got it on order.

Harry
NP: radio at work

As I stated in a previos post, Sergio fired the band and I knew I was right. But what I didn't know is that Sergio had fired Lani as well, then Herb convinced Lani to beg for her job back. This is news to me. I feel as though Segrio made a big mistake firing the entire band.It sounds as if Sergio was an egotistical control freak at the time. Lani didn't really look too happy in The Fool On The Hill photos. I have always wondered why. Maybe it was because she missed her former bandmates. I agree that Lani's voice was a BIG part of the Brasil 66 magic. And Lani's lyrics too.I wish that Lani and Sergio would reunite today and join forces to revive the Brasil 66 sound.

Cortnee, if you remember, what you stated was that Sergio fired Janis and Jose for forming The Carnival ("behind Sergio's back," as you stated). Here's the thread:

http://forum.amcorner.com/viewtopic.php?p=34144&highlight=#34144

That's what I told you you were wrong about. Their firing had absolutely nothing to do with the Carnival. Janis recorded for almost two years for Ford before she started recording with the Carnival.

Those liner notes surprised me. I had always hoped Sergio just wanted to be creative, but instead was ego-maniacal. I've read before that he was difficult(can't remember where or in what context, maybe Sarah Vaughn?) I was surprised about Lani "begging'" for her job back. But Herb is smart, and he must have known that was the place for her to be and all the better for us. Crystal Illusions is still my favorite album, but I'm biased because that is the first album I had ever heard. My parents had the 8 track and I listened to it all the time. I still remember the first time I discovered HAP and Equinox at my Aunt's house, and the feeling I had the first time I heard Mas Que Nada and Chove Chuva, it blew my mind.

A little off topic.....Back in Algonac, lost my job to a bank merger and was stuck in a town with no economy, just Marinas and Micky Ds, and didn't get it together again till i moved back to town. I'm now in Ferndale, much more my kind of town, back in the saddle again.

Stevenj said:
Those liner notes surprised me. I had always hoped Sergio just wanted to be creative, but instead was ego-maniacal. I've read before that he was difficult(can't remember where or in what context, maybe Sarah Vaughn?) .
Sergio and Sarah Vaughn certainly had creative differences while recording Brasilian Romance. Sarah had wanted it to sound more traditional than contemporary. Sarah was indeed a jazz purist. While I was talking to bassist Alphonso Johnson, he had confirmed to me that Ms. Vaughn wasn't happy with Sergio or the album. Alphonso had stated that Sergio and Sarah would be bickering in the recording studio constantly. Then Sarah would be arriving late for recording sessions and leaving early complaining that she felt "ill". I have Brasilian Romance and I love it! But I can't truly enjoy listening to it knowing about the fights in the recording studio. It turns me OFF. Sergio Mendes, I will ALWAYS be a true fan of yours but you should have shown Sarah more respect and you should have given Sarah more creative control over her FINAL project. Well' it's too late now anyway. Take my advice and treat the legendary artists with more respect while you are prodicing them in the future. Listen to their creative input and give them some control over their projects.

Coortneee said:
I have Brasilian Romance and I love it!

Agreed. Great album. After listening to Ella do So Danco Samba on Ella and Duke live at Cote D'Azur (not to mention Ella Abraca Jobim!!!) I sometimes wish Ella and Sergio could have collaborated on an album, something like Ella Swings in Rio on Pablo would have been great.

Stevenj said:
Coortneee said:
I have Brasilian Romance and I love it!

Agreed. Great album. After listening to Ella do So Danco Samba on Ella and Duke live at Cote D'Azur (not to mention Ella Abraca Jobim!!!) I sometimes wish Ella and Sergio could have collaborated on an album,.
I have Ella Abraca Jobim and it's just like Sarah's other Brazilian album I Love Brazil!. Aloysio deOliveira produced it. Paulinho DaCosta produced Ella Abraca Jobim.It would have been nice if Sergio produced an album for Frank Sinatra but then again I don't think that Ol Bue Eyes would tolerate Sergio dictating anything to him.

I've often thought that Sergio worked best as a producer in tandem with someone else. For instance, his solo producing credits for Japanese artists, while technically perfect, often seem a little dry and lacking spark.

Sergio did a superb job producing Brasilian Romance, it sounds great. But Sergio had produced it so it would sound like a Sergio mendes album. It wasn't Sergio's album though, it was Sarah's. Any decent producer would have treated a legendary artist such as Sarah Vaughn with the upmost respect. Quincy Jones would have treated Sarah Vaughn with the upmost respect. As a matter of fact, Quincy and Sarah were planning on collaborating on a Brasilian project before her death in 1990. Sadly, she had gotten too ill to record the album. I am not really criticizing Sergio's work as a producer, I am criticizing his treatment of Sarah Vaughn.The poor woman didn't enjoy recording Brasilian Romance. The recording sessions were grueling and unpleasant and tiresome for her.

Lo and Behold...! Today I found a Picture-Sleeve '45' of "Laida, Laidia" B/W "Canto De Carnival", the first two tracks from the album on World Pacific...! :wave: And all I need to hear, too...! :winkgrin:

Mr Bill said:
Today's "Word For The Day":

UTMOST

--Mr Bill
a/k/a, "The Lone English Teacher"

...And Dave,

...The "A&M Corner Grammar-Instructor"...

Stevenj said:
A little off topic.....Back in Algonac, lost my job to a bank merger and was stuck in a town with no economy, just Marinas and Micky Ds,

Yep, in a nutshell, that's Algonac. :D

Cortnee said:
.It would have been nice if Sergio produced an album for Frank Sinatra but then again I don't think that Ol Bue Eyes would tolerate Sergio dictating anything to him.

Dear Cortnee,

Are you aware that Sergio Mendes and his Brasil ‘88 group back in september 1980 did a tour with Frank Sinatra in London as support act, Great Britain. Maybe Sergio appears with Frank Sinatra on stage, who knows?
I’m for 100% sure about this; Sergio spoke about this in a Dutch radio broadcast interview just before his Amsterdam concert the 3th of october 1980. The concert was broadcast on Dutch radio at 15 december 1980.

The personnel at that time:
Warren Giancatarina on bass, Oscar Castro Neves on acoustic and electric guitars and on congas (he sung wonderful O Cantador-Like Lover), Danny Embrey on electric guitar, Alan Diaz on drums, his sweetheart at the time Marietta Waters on vocals, Ron Powell on percussion, Gracinha Leporace and Carol Jeanne Rogers on vocals.

Oscar as musical director was great at this concert, a beautifully long acoustic guitar solo after the percussion interlude which was rounded up in the songs MISTURADA and later on in FATA CONSUMADO.

All the best,
Aqua do Brasil[/align]

You know, Sjef, I couldn't agree with you more!!

I saw Brasil '88 a couple of times that year...each concert a pleasure!! The first of the two shows featured Marietta and Carol on vocals. The second featured the line-up you mentioned: Marietta, Carol and the lovely Gracinha -- Mrs. Sergio Mendes.

Oh, for the memories!! This is definitely one of my favorite eras in Sergio's long, enjoyable career.

Jon :)

his sweetheart at the time Marietta Waters on vocals,

OK, so I'm confused (blame it on a misplaced pronoun) - just whose sweetheart was Marietta Waters at the time? Alan Diaz? I'm assuming not Frank or Sergio???.... :|

A&Mguyfromwayback said:
...just whose sweetheart was Marietta Waters at the time? Alan Diaz? I'm assuming not Frank or Sergio???

You're right, Jamal...it wasn't Frank or Sergio!! :laugh:

It was Alan Diaz.

Jon

Sergio & Frank also go way back. Brasil '66 was Frank's opening act for part of 1967, right when the Sinatra & Jobim album had come out.

Once again, Jeff is correct. My Mom & Dad saw Sinatra in '67. Brasil '66 was the opening act.

As an aside...my folks were seated at the edge of the stage. Mom smoked in those days and during the concert, Frank leaned down and said, "Mind if I finish that?" referring to Mom's cigarette. Of course, she didn't mind a bit!! Mom swoons about that to this day. :wink:

Jon

Well I finally got that Carnival CD and what Steven said above is there for all to behold:

Stevenj said:
According to Janis, the group complained about accommodations on the road, five dollar hotel rooms in New York City for the group and First rate hotel rooms for Sergio. She also complained of not being well paid and having to do six months of one nighters at a time. According to Janis, when confronted, Sergio fired them all. Lani was convinced by Herb to beg Sergio for her job back.

Amazing!

Harry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom