January 2024 In Memoriam

Peter Schickele, musical parodist behind ‘P.D.Q. Bach,’ dies at 88.

Peter_Schickele - Wikipedia

I feel compelled to share a few personal notes. I remember, during my childhood and teens in the 1980s, listening to my father's PDQ Bach records. Also, my father took my brother and me to some PDQ Bach concerts.

In the 2010s, long after I had thrown away my record collection, when my father was moving away, my brother and I were going through some of his belongings to decide what to keep and what to throw away. This included some of his old records. I didn't even have a turntable at the time, so I didn't feel inclined to take many records, but somehow, I felt compelled to keep a few of them, including The Intimate PDQ Bach.

Later, I got a turntable, and - 3 years ago - feeling surprised that The Intimate PDQ Bach wasn't up on YouTube, I recorded it and uploaded it myself:

As with many of my efforts on the internet, my work later proved redundant, as someone else posted the record there as well:

However, my involvement - however limited and superfluous - led to one thing. On this page...

...someone posted a comment just hours ago informing me of Schickele's death.

Last edited:
Mary Weiss returned with a solo album in 2007 and toured in support. I caught her show at a small venue in Atlanta in 2008.

WEISS-Mary.jpg

Peter Schickele, musical parodist behind ‘P.D.Q. Bach,’ dies at 88.

Peter_Schickele - Wikipedia

I feel compelled to share a few personal notes. I remember, during my childhood and teens in the 1980s, listening to my father's PDQ Bach records. Also, my father took my brother and me to some PDQ Bach concerts.

In the 2010s, long after I had thrown away my record collection, when my father was moving away, my brother and I were going through some of his belongings to decide what to keep and what to throw away. This included some of his old records. I didn't even have a turntable at the time, so I didn't feel inclined to take many records, but somehow, I felt compelled to keep a few of them, including The Intimate PDQ Bach.

Later, I got a turntable, and - 3 years ago - feeling surprised that The Intimate PDQ Bach wasn't up on YouTube, I recorded it and uploaded it myself:

As with many of my efforts on the internet, my work later proved redundant, as someone else posted the record there as well:

However, my involvement - however limited and superfluous - led to one thing. On this page...

...someone posted a comment just hours ago informing me of Schickele's death.

I have a couple of the PDQ Bach on lp. Intimate and Portrait. and Wurst Of. I love them. My mother was a big fan as well.
I do have a compilation on cd. It covers the lp's through Intimate and it is hysterical.
Rest in Peace Peter Schickele.

I liked the Shangri-Las. Remember (Walking in the Sand) was one of the first records that I bought. Sad to see so many people that I liked dying. I'd like to be back when time seemed eternal.

German producer, writer, and singer, Frank Farian at age 82. He created super group Boney M. who I finally got to see in July 2023, after 45 years of waiting, and Milli Vanilli, who we all know their story. Others were La Bouche and Eruption euro-disco music. Boney M. were Germany’s answer to Sweden’s ABBA. Only ABBA finally broke the U.S market, and Boney M. barely did. I sold more Boney M. records, and CD’s to customers from Europe or Asia, than to locals. Especially at Christmas time. They still hold records in England for 2 of the biggest selling singles of all time there.

Back
Top Bottom