1. A&M Corner can now be found on Instagram! Follow us on our new account at @a.m.corner .
    You may also follow us on Twitter: @amcorner.

Japanese Mini-LPs

Discussion in 'A Song For You: The Carpenters Forum' started by Someday, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Someday

Someday Active Member Thread Starter

Hi all

Just received my first mini-lp from Japan, via ebay. I ordered a copy of Horizon really out of curiosity; I'm in the UK and it cost £24.00. Although expensive to collect, they are beautifully produced, so think I may get another ...

Jamesj75 likes this.
  2. djn

djn Well-Known Member

uh oh, now you're hooked for sure.

Jamesj75 likes this.
  3. I've been thinking about getting some too, they are all around £20 which is pricey so I want to make sure it is worth it.. Is the disc the same design as the label on the original vinyl disc ?

4. Someday

Someday Active Member Thread Starter

Hi Simon. That's what I've been wondering. My Horizon came with just a generic disc; plain metallic with the logo and title printed under it. I've seen photos of others, however, which do seem to replicate the original vinyl label (much preferred, obviously). In all other ways it is a solid replica, complete with "flap" sleeve, inner sleeve, & bonus lyric sheet and mini-poster :)

Simon KC1950 likes this.
  5. Thanks For The Info !

6. Mike Blakesley

Mike Blakesley Well-Known Member Moderator

Seems like the disk label is the most unpredictable thing about the mini-LPs. I've seen some that replicate the original exactly, and others where the rest of the package is spot-on but the disk label is slightly or vastly different. It's a crapshoot. I think some labels do it better than others.

7. Nick

Nick Member

They are definitely worth having.

The 30th and 35th Anniversary releases replicated the US album covers and had the labels replicated on the CD

[​IMG]

The newer Japanese mini LP releases replicate the inserts/posters etc but the CD is plain

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I love these releases. I really would love a similar US singles release...

Nick

Chris Mills likes this.
  8. Nick

Nick Member

Here are a few more :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. newvillefan

newvillefan Well-Known Member

These look absolutely great! Thanks for posting your pictures. Today, Lovelines and A Song For You are my favourite albums as well as sleeve covers.

10. Nick

Nick Member

I feel the same about those two albums. I also love the Horizon cover and Carpenters (tan) album.

newvillefan likes this.
  11. Mark-T

Mark-T Well-Known Member

I love the CD label on Hush. And of course, the photos.

12. newvillefan

newvillefan Well-Known Member

The artwork on Hush, in particular the raindrop-streaked cover, title font and the "planetary" theme are gorgeous. Almost a forerunner to Occupants.

Mark-T likes this.
  13. Mark-T

Mark-T Well-Known Member

I wold have loved A&M to offer a "nighttime" version in blues as this seems like the sunset version in oranges.

14. Sort-of like this:

HushBlue copy.jpg

djn likes this.
  15. Mark-T

Mark-T Well-Known Member

WOW, Harry! Thanks!
    Can you do your magic on the album cover??????

16. Nick

Nick Member

17. Mark-T

Mark-T Well-Known Member

WOW- it's amazing what you can do! Thanks, Harry!

18. GaryAlan

GaryAlan Well-Known Member

I've got
    Passage and Close To You...
    they are (or--at least the discs I have) replicas of virtually everything
    found in the Japanese Pressings of the original LP (inserts, posters, etc.).
    The actual cd is SHM, there is an insert which replicates the Album center design itself.
    If you can find inexpensive copies, they are nice to have !