Japanese Telethon Video on YouTube

Status
Not open for further replies.

goodjeans

I watched the youtube video of Carpenters on the infamous Japanese Telethon late yesterday and am still saddened today. It may be because after the ballet last night I was in an hours long traffic jam and am sleep deprived today but I don't think so. The tape or something went wrong, Karen was left on stage trying to remain professional...but I think her manager????left them in the lurch. I am only surmising this but she somewhat sarcastically said "Goodbye Jerry" as a guy left the scene. She then went on to talk about how they were last, etc. This is probably old news to the rest of you on here, but if someone has any insight other than what I have noted, please share. I just feel like she was unappreciated and I would like to kick someone's (*). Hope that isn't too vulgar.

I have seen this, it was a hot day in CA and Karen was a real trouper covering up as much as she could, the clip shows how she likes to joke around too. I think she had a sense of humor but yes she must have been upset but hey it's live so anything can happen. I don't understand why they just didn't sing this live anyway cause Karen voice was perfect when she did start singing live. After seeing this the first time I soon realized where that famous cover photo of Karen came from on the People Magazine of Karen wearing that yellow outfit. It all makes sense. Karen was in good spirits but too thin. I thought it was funny how Richard couldn't tell that the music soundtrack stopped and he kept on playing and then band you could hear live then Karen being funny again. They should have just done it live but I guess the soundtrack would have sounded better since it was a live feed over to Japan. Pretty rare footage from this time. I too wondered if that was Jerry Moss she was referring to.

What year was this from? Jerry Weintraub was their manager for the later part of their career. Could she have been referring to him?

Patrick, the date of the telethon was August 22 1981, here below is this info taken from fan club newsletter #71

NEWSLETTER #71 - September, 1981
Hello Friends! I trust you have all enjoyed a super summer, and are making the most of what's left of it. Richard and Karen have been completely overwhelmed by the many beautiful letters and tributes pertaining to "Made In America", and wish me to convey their heartfelt gratitude for same. Your continued support means so much to them. The debut single "Touch Me When We're Dancing" reached #16 on Billboard's Hot 100 charts. and the second single "(want You) Back In My Life" was released September 1st. It certainly has the potential for top ratings. The duo's return to the music scene was given a great send-off with a dinner party in their honor, hosted by Herb Alpert of A & M Records Inc. The party was held at the exclusive Bel Air Hotel, where cocktails and hors d'oeuvres were served to the 200 guests on the picturesque lawns. Guests included members of A & M staff. John Bettis and his wife and the Carpenters family and staff. Following a delightfully informal dinner Herb Alpert spotlighted the Carpenters career. and welcomed them back to the music scene. Each were subsequently presented with a very impressive plaque depicting all their recorded albums on the A & M label. We were reminded by Herb the duo had sold over 79 million records up to last March some feat! Richard and Karen acknowledged same by expressing their true happiness in being once again actively engaged in their world of music. The A & M sound stage and parking lot was the setting for a variety musical concert as various artists participated in a live telethon being transmitted by satellite to Japan August 22nd. Some artists performed inside the sound stage such as The Brothers Johnson, Ray Parker Jr. etc. but Herb Alpert played his "Magic Man" in the parking lot which had been cleverly transformed into a concert arena. The new "slim" Sylvester Stallone was interviewed, then after waiting in the blazing sunshine with 102 degree temperatures to see the closing act, we finally heard the introduction "Please welcome The Carpenters". Richard and Karen emerged looking just terrific with a super suntan, accompanied by Cubby O'Brien, Bob Messenger Tony Peluso and Gary Sims. Alas, just about halfway through their performance a technical fault developed; the technicians lost the audio and so ended the performance. It was a disappointing finale but great to see the group in such good form. That same evening Richard, Tom and Karen and Olivia Newton-John and friend were among the guests attending Mr. & Mrs., Jerry Weintraub's dinner party at their new home in Malibu. After a very short night's sleep Tom, Karen, Olivia and Matt decided to take a trip on Tom's boat to Catalina Island. When they arrived there the guys went diving while the girls basked in the sun trying to catch up on some sleep. Around 4:00 p.m. the ocean had become very choppy so they decided to return home, but about ten miles out of Catalina while battling the forceful current the drive shaft snapped. so Tom had to somehow try to steer the big boat back to harbor, and they stayed overnight on the island and flew home next day. The disappointing part was that Tom and Karen had arranged to hold their first anniversary party aboard their boat with additional friends the following day, but it had to be canceled while Tom took his other boat back to tow the damaged one home. A typical nonchalant remark by Tom "It makes life interesting" amused everyone. Olivia celebrates her tenth year as a USA resident, so when plans were made for her to appear on the Merv Griffin Show, she was given carte blanche to invite a few of her friends to join her on the show. Naturally Richard and Karen were happy to accept her invitation along with John Travolta, Rick Springfield and others, The show was taped September 1st, and is tentatively set to air November 2nd, but please check local listings. Many of you may have seen our duo featured on Casey Kasem's TV program "America's Top 10" aired August 29th. I hope you potential struggling artists took heed of Richard's reply when Casey asked him "What advice would you give potential artists seeking the success the Carpenters had achieved?", Richard confirmed "You will meet lots of opposition along the way, but you must believe in what you are doing". While introducing them Casey proudly announced the Carpenters shared the honor with the Everly Brothers of being the top duo for producing the most Top 20 hits in the 70's in the United States! Richard feels "Those Good Old Dreams" is likely to be the next single choice, and will probably be released around the holiday season. With such warm feelings in those lyrics what an appropriate time! Tom and Karen left for an anniversary vacation last week in his 4-wheel Ram Charger equipped with radio, CB phone. refrigerator etc. They headed for a quaint little town in Colorado called Durango which features a famous hotel that provides a scenic tour of the mountains, then they plan on heading north to Banff, lake Louise, Vancouver-Canada. It should be a fun trip, and they'll enjoy the spectacular scenery. They've already encountered rain on the way which must be a welcome change from such a long dry spell in southern California. Richard has been enjoying his car collection, and is elated with his newest addition which he ordered eighteen months ago and only recently took delivery of. It's a DeLorean, and Richard is delighted with it's a performance. The car has a stainless steel body and gull/wing doors. It was made in Ireland, but is an American car. It's definitely the pride of the collection just now! I am happy to announce Tony Peluso and his wife Chris expect their first baby some time in October. In response to the many inquiries. I am happy to advise you we now have two new posters available through the fanclub. One is a 24" x 36" replica of the artwork cover of the new album, and the other is a copy of the inner sleeve photograph so many of you have admired. It's 16" x 20" horizontal, and has been reproduced beautifully. Both sell at $XX each to members in USA Canada and Mexico. $XX each to overseas members. We are presently negotiating for a few new keepsakes items, and I hope to describe same in the next newsletter. Due to the horrendous mailing problems we have experienced with college addresses, we regret we have no option but to cancel same except for overseas students who are attending college in this country. We therefore must revert to mailing future newsletters to your home mailing addresses, so please advise us of any change from the one we have on file. We welcome our large contingent of new members, and hope you will enjoy your association with us. Please be advised the fanclub office will be closed for one month from September 18th to October 15th. for staff vacations. Until next time, take care and God Bless. Rosina.

Thank you, Chris, for posting the newsletter.
I had thought Herb performed after Carpenters. My memory is fading, or I was too sleepy to wait for Carpenters, waking up all night.

I remember I recorded Carpenters(I don't remember if I recorded other artists' performance) to VHS. But I was so sad to see Karen thin that I couldn't see the VHS.

Although I had seen two Jerry's photos, I don't recall if the person was Jerry Moss or Jerry Weintraub. I have thought the black out accident(?) made him to enter studio and ask if other artists would perform until out side problem would be fixed.

I heard something like American Top 40 Japanese edition reunion on radio last month. I was not sure who announced the Japanese edition back then. According to the program, It was Katsuya Kobayashi, who was at the telethon stage with Karen. He also was a narrator for Carpenters Forever. (I still remember he said that he didn't love Carpenters on his radio program in '70s.)
The reunion program started with Carpenters' "Please Mr. Postman" and "Calling Occupants....".

I think I have read that Richard appeared on other telethon charities. Could anyone tell us about them?

Sakura

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom