Japanese wave of Sergio Mendes titles 2/08

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin
It looks like February 2008 will see another wave of Sergio Mendes titles being released in Japan. This one looks like it covers not only all of the Brasil '66-'77 period on A&M, but the '80s A&M period as well, giving the self/titled album from 1983, CONFETTI, BRASIL '86, and ARARA new life in the digital format. The '90s OCEANO is represented too. All of those titles have been out before but in limited quantities making them somewhat sought-after.

It also appears that there will be a new compilation or two in the mix, along with another release of TIMELESS.

http://www.hmv.co.jp/search/index.asp?keyword=sergio+mendes

Still among the missing in this list is Brasil '77's other live album, IN CONCERT.

Harry

Information received from CD Japan indicates the release of a NEW collaboration between Sergio and Will.I.Am on February 27th!

Sergio Mendes/UNTITLED[Limited Low-priced Edition] CDA
2095 yen US$18/114.34 Release Date:2008/02/27 Description:Advanced Japanese release of the new collaboration album between Sergio Mendes and Will.I.Am. Japanese edition includes bonus track (subject to change).
http://cdjapan.jp/d.html?KEY=UCCO-9160

Catalog No.: UCCO-9160
Format: CD
Number of discs (or other units): 1
Release Date: 2008/02/27
Price: 2095yen (2200yen Tax incl.)
Reference Price - US$ 18.32
Availability: Usually ships on the release date

Credits:
SERGIO MENDES (Artist) FERGIE
H.ALPERT LANI HALL

Description:
Advanced Japanese release of the new collaboration album between Sergio Mendes and Will.I.Am. Japanese edition includes bonus track (subject to change).

Bonus Track: Japan edition bonus track(s) (expected)

I got that too, but since the info was sketchy at best (sometimes these Japanese e-tailers get advanced info that turns out not to be true or is just a repackaging). My first thought is that this release is just some kind of re-release of TIMELESS.

But time will tell as the date gets closer and more info becomes available.

Harry

Was "Horizonte Aberto" among the CDs listed?

The brasilian copy that I have is ok, but not great quality. (I was able to find both the english version of Horizonte Aberto (Nowadays) and the Instrumental version online) I wish they'd release that video on DVD. It's classic!

How about "The Crab" as a Bonus Track...? (on Pais Tropical...?)
crab.gif

Dave

Trevor said:
Was "Horizonte Aberto" among the CDs listed?

The brasilian copy that I have is ok, but not great quality. (I was able to find both the english version of Horizonte Aberto (Nowadays) and the Instrumental version online) I wish they'd release that video on DVD. It's classic!

HORIZONTE ABERTO is not an A&M/Universal property, so it's not listed in the link provided above.

Harry

Dave said:
How about "The Crab" as a Bonus Track...? (on Pais Tropical...?)
crab.gif

Dave

"The Crab" is a bonus track on PRIMAL ROOTS.

Harry

I was playing that "For What It's Worth" 45 this afternoon after not listening to it for a while. So much better than album cut!

I have to say that the possibility of any CD that's a new collaboration between Sergio and Will.I.Am doesn't particularly excite me.

Maybe a rap version of Superstition?
Dance version of Casa Forte or Zanzibar?
I know! A rap version of Waters of March!

What other bad remakes could they do?

A club mix of YE-ME-LE (which in the right hands could kick azz...but I don't think W.I.A is the man to do it...Maybe Junior Vasquez)

A techno-trance version of LOST IN PARADISE.

(Hmmmm...I actually LIKE these ideas...)

Having just dropped 30 bucks or so on the import mini-LP version of STILLNESS, I probably won't buy into any of these unless they do something special with them (doubtful).

One exception that I definitely will buy is CONFETTI, which I've never had on CD. The song "Real Life" is a pop masterpiece and should have been a hit single. Why it didn't hit like "Never Gonna Let You Go" is a mystery to me. There are a few songs on the album I like -- overall I don't find it as good as SERGIO MENDES but maybe a few more of the songs will appeal this time around.

I held off a long time on the mini-LP STILLNESS but I caved in due to the gatefold. It's my favorite SMB'66 album and my favorite cover, so I hadda have it.

I have the 1984 CD release of Confetti, and I haven’t listened to it in quite some time… I guess it’s time to blow of the dust and give it a listen.

Mike

Anybody heard about these ever coming out? I haven't seen anything on them.

I decided, since I recently got the mini-LP-cover version of STILLNESS, to get the same of PAIS TROPICAL. I like to get the mini-LPs when the original package is somewhat unusual -- like the foldover flap on PAIS. (Although otherwise the package is rife with goofs...the CD label says "Brazil '77," the lyric sheet still has the infamous "bitches and queens" line in "After Midnight," and the OBI-strip has the group's name as "Blasil '77.") Also this CD is missing the bonus track Japanese version of "Pais Tropical" but that's no loss, since I have it in several other places.

EDIT: The bonus track IS present on this CD after all...it's just not listed on the cover, like it was on the previous jewel-box release.

These have all been listed at Dusty Groove along with the usual Japanese sites.

I've not sprung for any of the new issues as I already have the old '80s issues of the A&M stuff. I suppose if I hear from anyone with a sterling report on the mastering, I might update a couple of these, but really, I'm pretty happy with the versions I have.

For CONFETTI, in addition to the CD, I have the Canadian version on LP that contained an extra track - the instrumental version of "Olympia". I'd seen a copy of the Canadian CONFETTI cassette sell for ridiculous amounts and became curious about it. That's when I found out about the extra track and found a reasonable copy of the LP.

I haven't heard whether or not the new Japanese release(s) contain(s) any extra tracks.

Harry

I think I"m going to order CONFETTI from this batch. Then I'll have all of the A&M Sergio on CD, at long last. So I'll put up a report here if there's anything outstanding about it.

At this point in time, the only Sergio Mendes albums not ever on official CD remain the A&M IN CONCERT (Greek Theater) and the CBS/SONY Live In Japan album from the mid '70s that was released in a number of configurations.

There are a few singles that are still missing too. Those 45s had some single mixes which I suspect will remain forever forgotten, and there's that Japanese single of "The Magic Wheels" which I don't believe has seen the light of day on CD.

But this latest batch tidies up the main A&M studio catalog, making it all available for those that want them. It would be nice if HORIZONTE ABERTO would get another release - that album deserves to be heard.

Harry

the CBS/SONY Live In Japan album from the mid '70s that was released in a number of configurations
I think that is the only Sergio recording that I've never heard, at least since he "went vocal" with Brasil '65. I think I've missed a few of the early instrumental sides -- but no loss there, I'm more a fan of the vocal music.

It'll be nice to finally have "Real Life," probably my favorite of all the Joe Pizzulo vocals, on CD after all this time. I also remember enjoying Gracinha's vocals on CONFETTI. (Well, I always enjoy her vocals, but I digress.) I'll probably discover a few "new favorites" that I've forgotten about!

"Olympia" and "Alibis" were the biggest "hits" from CONFETTI, peaking at number 58 and 29 respectively. "Real Life" never really charted in the top 100. All of those were Joe Pizzulo vocals along with "Let's Give A Little More This Time".

"Say It With Your Body" is an uptempo, disco-fied vocal by Siedah Garrett, who does a much better job on the current ENCANTO's "Funky Bahia".

Another dance-heavy track is "Dance Attack" with vocals from Phil Perry.

And the "Sound Of One Song" is the children's chorus keeping with the Olympic spirit and theme of the album.

Finally the album gets to a couple of really great Gracinha-lead tracks, "Kisses" and "Morrer de Amor" with "Real Life" in between them.

It's definitely an album that gets better as it goes along - it's just getting past the disco-stuff that's front-loaded.

And even the album title makes some sense - CONFETTI is a hodge-podge of colored paper of varying shapes and sizes. This album is surely a hodge-podge.

My copy of the CD is the Japanese POCM-1977 with whatever mastering they were using in 1996.

Harry

It's pretty obvious that Sergio was hoping lightning would strike again with Joe Pizzulo. I am still surprised he never made a record on his own.

I went to HMV in Yokohama today and picked up the the Brasil 86 CD

831.jpg

I wasn't familiar with this album and I'm pleased to see that track #9 No Place To Hide has Lani Hall on vocals.

Regards,
Mike

Yep. in addition to "No Place To Hide" on BRASIL '86, Ms. Hall is also listed among the backing vocalists on "Olympia" on CONFETTI, but one can't really tell as it's a large group of people. We can now add "Dreamer" to that list of Sergio Mendes recordings that Lani has sung on since her departure from Brasil '66.

One other asterisk-type mention would be "Never Say Never Again", a Lani Hall track that Sergio co-produced.

Harry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom