Lani Hall and Bonnie Bowden in Balance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aqua do Brasil

dear Forum members,

Both Lani and Bonnie appears on seven albums by Sergio Mendes and Cy.
Lani on HAP, Equinox, Look Around, FOTH, Ye-Me-Le, Crystal Illusions and partly on Stillness.
Bonnie on Love Music, Vintage 74, Sergio Mendes 1975, Homecooking, Magic Lady, Alegria/Horizonte Aberto and on the Japanese Epic release Sergio Mendes and Brasil 77 Live.

So, Bonnie also has a remarkable input/influence just as Lani in the vocal department.
I‘m a admirer of Bonnies voice.
I wonder whats she doing these days?

All the best,
Aqua do Brasil

I have favorite songs featuring each of them, but I like Lani's voice better. She's got this "cool" style that just fit perfectly with Sergio's piano. And, the title track from STILLNESS is a work unto itself. What a vocal performance on that one.

Bonnie Bowden, while she has a very pretty voice, is more of a pop singer than Lani. You can hear the "smile" in almost all her vocals. Lani is more cool and doesn't smile unless the material warrants. This gives her more range. That's just my "gut instinct" talking here, everyone else's mileage may vary.

I agree with you on both counts, Mike. Lani had a style and range to fit within whatever material she was given. Bonnie had a sweetness about her, yes, but she could be soulful too. Lani sang with a different kind of soul...the opening of Stillness being a perfect example.

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom