Lani with Sergio or without Sergio?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aqua do Brasil

Dear Forum Members,

Lani Hall who played an important role in the Brasil 66 trademark sound, and released several recordings after her stint with Sergio and Cy.
I have some of those recordings as Sun Down Lady, Albany Park, Blush and Brasil Nativo.
Well crafted good produced performed and sung recordings but they do not as much for me as during her period with Sergio.

Whats your opinion?
Al the best,
Aqua do Brasil

Aqua do Brasil said:
Lani Hall who played an important role in the Brasil 66 trademark sound, and released several recordings after her stint with Sergio and Cy...Whats your opinion?

Hi Sjef!

You say Lani released several recordings after her stint with Sergio, but who is Cy? I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with 'Cy' and was wondering who this may be.

Like Stephen, I enjoy Lani's upbeat material. Although BRASIL NATIVO is masterful, I would have liked it better had she sung upbeat versions of "Mas Que Nada" and "Aquas de Marco" rather than doing them as ballads.

Take, for instance, the "Viola Fora De Moda/Zanzibar" medley or the rhythm of "Varadero" -- to me, this is what Lani Hall is all about! Just amazing.

Thanks for your input, Sjef.

Jon

brasil_nut said:
Aqua do Brasil said:
Lani Hall who played an important role in the Brasil 66 trademark sound, and released several recordings after her stint with Sergio and Cy...Whats your opinion?

Hi Sjef!

You say Lani released several recordings after her stint with Sergio, but who is Cy? I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with 'Cy' and was wondering who this may be.

Like Stephen, I enjoy Lani's upbeat material. Although BRASIL NATIVO is masterful, I would have liked it better had she sung upbeat versions of "Mas Que Nada" and "Aquas de Marco" rather than doing them as ballads.

Take, for instance, the "Viola Fora De Moda/Zanzibar" medley or the rhythm of "Varadero" -- to me, this is what Lani Hall is all about! Just amazing.

Thanks for your input, Sjef.

Jon

Dear Jon,

What I mean with under Sergio and Cy is Sergio and Company, just all his Brasil groups involved.
I’am aware that Lani only was part of the Brasil 66 unit.
Sorry for this mistake from my side.
I agree with you, Lani is amazing in the uptempo tunes.

All the best,
Sjef

That's what confused us, Agua! "Cy" (in the US anyway) is a nickname for "Cyril" or "Cyrus" while "company" is abbreviated as "Co."

Thanks for clarifying!

--Mr Bill
now, who is Sjef? :wink:

Southwest Jon said:

I agree Jon!

brasil_nut said:

I think it's a natural tendency for most people to seek out the bright, uptempo songs on any album, yet it's the slow, simmering ballads that often give an album its texture.

I for one, love Lani's slow-tempo takes on "Mas Que Nada" and "Waters Of March." After all, she'd already done "Mas Que Nada" in its sublime bossa form back in the '60s. Why tamper with perfection? The newer version, arranged by Lani and Eddie del Barrio, though slow and virtually dirge-like, takes on a wonderful dramatic quality.

Geez, is it possible that six years have gone by since BRASIL NATIVO was released? Folded inside the booklet is my receipt dated 7/28/98.

Harry
NP: "Tres Curumins" - Lani Hall

I think we discussed Lani's solo career quite a bit when Brasil Nativo was first released (yup, six years ago!). Maybe I'm in the minority, but I for the most part have been disappointed with Lani's solo offerings. There are nice moments here and there (Wheelers & Dealers, etc.), but, as I think I've mentioned before, her attempts to "prove herself" have resulted in some truly cringe-worthy moments, IMHO (the end of "At the Ballet," for example). The thing I always loved about Lani with Sergio was her relaxed coolness (as, again, I think I've mentioned before). As a solo artist, too often I feel she's screaming (figuratively and literally) "Listen to what I can do NOW."

Lani as a Solo Artist?! ...Dunno...!! Had her '80's albums, which were hard to sell; I did like some songs on Sundown Lady and "Send In The Clowns" from Sweet Bird, and of course my favorite was Hello, It's Me.

I think I preferred her with Sergio, myself. She definitely wouldn't have done well, outside of the A&M fold on her own, as she did even within.

Dave

I have to agree with JMK....that "relaxed coolness" is what I like about her singing with B'66 the most, and what is missing from much of her solo work.

Case in point, the song "Banquet" on the HELLO IT'S ME album. This is one of my favorite songs she sings, but by the end of it, the vocals get hard to take because she's putting too much drama into it and she loses control of it. (Listen to the way she sings the "marrow bone" line at the end.)

However, the SUN DOWN LADY album is a masterpiece. The arrangements AND the singing on it are just great.

Steven J. Gross said:
"Sundown Lady" and "Hello It's Me" are her best (IMHO). They are of "classic" status.

I'd add SWEETBIRD to your list -- always a favorite of mine. "Dolphin Lullaby" and "That's When Miracles Occur" are two sensational tracks, the latter reminding me of something she might have done with Sergio.

Jon

Sorry, I like "That's When Miracles Occur" done by its writer, ANDY PRATT! :agree:

I've got the RESOLUTION album remastered on CD with additional tracks from his self-titled LP before it and whatever is worth hearing from SHIVER IN THE NIGHT, his third album!

Lani, I just thought kind of rushed "Miracles" a little--Jazzed it up, but...well...It's just not really HER song...!! :shake:

Dave

Well, Dave...I've never heard the version by Andy Pratt. Thus, I have nothing to compare Lani's version to. That said, I like SWEETBIRD in general. I remember that I bought the album when it was originally released. "That's When Miracles Occur" ended up being one of the songs I'd play over and again...it seems to have that 'Sergio' touch.

Maybe I need to see if I can find a sample of Andy Pratt's version to compare...it's worth a shot! Thanks for the info, Dave. :thumbsup:

Jon

As an aside...I recall being surprised on hearing Lani's upbeat version of "Midnight Lovers" for the first time. I was used to Sergio's lush arrangement, so Lani kind of took me off guard. These days, I'd swear by both...each original in their own way.

i kind of liked some of her work on Sundown Lady and Hello It's Me a bit better in certain ways than some of the Brasil '66 material....There is a certain depth to her choice of songs that Sergio never explored and I enjoy hearing her choose songs that "she" wanted to sing..Daytripper gets a bit boring to me as do a few others (but i kind of liked their live version from Live at Expo '70 with Daytripper as somebody was commenting on recently with the hand claps and sheer fun-ness going on)...songs like Ocean Song and You are really beautiful to me and her voice is just so classic on these albums....I enjoy hearing her voice in its purity.....and i also like some of the instrumentation such as having Pete Jolly play accordian on Peace in the Valley....I've played that song over and over and never tired of it....I also liked the way she said "marrowbone" on Banquet...it just has a flair that is "All Lani" and i like that!! If the Hello It's Me album was released on cd I would certainly snatch it up....Too Many Mornings on Sweet Bird is one of my favorites on that album because it is just so sweet and endearing how she sings the lyrics....anyway, i just think she is a wonderful and fantastic singer and can do no wrong in my opinion...i find all of her complexities just so fascinating....Wish she'd put out a new album of current songs done in her own style once more!

brasil-boi said:
....I also liked the way she said "marrowbone" on Banquet...it just has a flair that is "All Lani" and i like that!!....Too Many Mornings on Sweet Bird is one of my favorites on that album because it is just so sweet and endearing how she sings the lyrics....

You're right on, Jim. Man! I've always liked the way she sings "marrowbone" on "Banquet" too!! Just one of those things that jumped out at me from your post. An excellent, excellent point, and something another "Brasil-Type-Guy" can relate to when it comes to Lani Hall. There's a certain quality in the way she sings this song -- a statement is being made as only Lani can make it. Astounding!

I've always been fond of her version of "Vincent" as well. Talk about an honest reading of the song. Almost as if the lyrics were made for Lani Hall alone. Amazing!

Jon

Yes....there are going to those of us that like Lani for her eccentricities!! I also like the way she concludes the ending of the song "Hello It's Me" by emphasizing the lyrices....."I'll spend the night if "I" think "I" Shoooouuuuullllddddd"
Really cool and confident!! LOVE IT !!

Or, how about the ways he sings, "Sure it's little wonder we're insecure...just open up your eyes...it's like a sweepstakes, without a prize..." on "Wheelers & Dealers". Sensational! :thumbsup:

Jon

I agree! "and the family with nothing at all" singing sweet simple and pure! shows she cares about people who are less fortunate than herself.

Sing Lani....We hear you!! We Love you...

JMK said:
That's actually "the value of nothing at all."

Right again, Jeff. :thumbsup:

That's like "Festa" and the line:

"The Carnival's starting today, and everyone waits for this [BLANK]...the children will dance all the day...and sing all night. Oh, the Carnival's starting today...my arms will be looking for you...and maybe you'll reach for my hand...and if you do..."

I've always heard it as, "...and everyone waits for this NIGHT..." Yet, I've heard others say, "...and everyone waits for the sleigh..."

Hmmm... :?:

Jon

Yes, a whole slew of misheard Sergio lyrics were cleared up when I got the two songbooks! My misheard lyric in "Festa" was "my ARMIES will be looking for you." I always thought that was kind of a strange way to woo someone! :)

Oh my!!! i just listened to the song "Wheelers and Dealers" and she does in fact say "value" and all these years I thought she was saying "family!!" well....I kind of liked it as "family" actually better than "value" ...sounds like we've all had these problems with the lyrics.

My armies will be looking for you....I don't think Lani would send an army after anyone! I listened to Festa and it does in fact sound like she's saying armies!! That is hysterical!! I'm cracking up over that one...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom