• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Lani's Latin Albums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brasil_Nut

Staff member
I listened to Es Facil Amar this morning. I was blown away by how well it's held up over the years. Sounds as fresh as when it was originally released. Although Lani recorded only three Spanish language albums, I wish she'd continued in this vein. She is magnificent, masterful, and amazing with this material.

Es Facil Amar led to Lani...another wonderful album. I hold the belief that "Se" has to be one of the most beautiful ballads she has ever recorded. With the falling rain, simple phrasing and down-toned arrangement, "Se" puts me in the mind of another Lani Hall gem, "To Know" from Double Or Nothing -- another favorite album of mine.

Lani Hall has some sensational moments as well, but Lani and Es Facil Amar still stand out for me. "Para Vivir Asi" on Lani Hall is incredible, and "Que Te Propones" gives one the idea of what might have happened had she produced a Spanish album with Sergio Mendes.

Yup! Lani is sensational on the Latin front. Whether singing Portuguese or Spanish, she knows where it's at! I have several Latin friends in the Bay Area -- many of them 20 something -- and they all know of Lani Hall. "Whatever happened to her?" they'll ask. Makes one wish Lani would, once again, record more of this wonderful music.

Jon

NP: "Se" by Lani Hall on the album Lani

I think you might have your order a bit turned around. If I'm not mistaken, Lani was the first, followed by Lani Hall and then finally Es Facil Amar, the Grammy-winning album.

They are spectacular, that's for sure. My first foray into these albums came in the late 80s, with Herb's appearance on the pre-Super Bowl special from Miami, where he appeared with Maria Conchita Alonso. I was impressed enough with her performance to finally venture into the World Music/Latin section of a record store to see what was out there. At that time, LPs were on the way out, CDs were about to complete their takeover, and cassettes were the only reliably well-stocked format in any given store.

After finding three different Maria Conchita Alonso albums on cassette on the AyM Discos label, I continued perusing the racks when I spotted three Lani Hall cassettes - Lani Hall, Es Facil Amar, and Lo Mejor De Lani. Snapping up all of those, I happily began delving into the world of exciting Latin rhythms and exquisite production and compositions by Juan Carlos Calderon and Jose Quintana - names I'd recognized from Herb's Fandango. I didn't realize there was an earlier album, just plain Lani until finding this place and discussing all of this with Paula, without whose help I might never have heard that first Latin effort. It remains a likely candidate for the proverbial desert-island list for me.

I've since managed to obtain all of these on at least vinyl, with Lo Mejor De Lani a surprise find on CD (though it leaves a bit to be desired in the sound-quality department).

Harry
...with fond memories of happy discoveries, online...

Oh...when I said "Es Facil Amar led to Lani," I meant to say that I went from listening to Es Facil Amar to Lani. You're right about the order of the albums. This was about the time I'd met Lani Hall and Diana Baron of A&M Artist Relations. I recall Diana telling me about problems with the quality of Lani's first Spanish Lp, Lani (the one with the blue cover and close-up photo). The distributors were using thick vinyl and cheap, paper-covered record sleeves. With time, they located another distributor who produced a quality product similar to the packaging of Herb's Fandango album.

You're right, Harry. I should have been more specific in my statement. Our private discussions have led me to dig out Lani's Spanish albums and give them a spin. I love them! The proper order is: Lani, Lani Hall and Es Facil Amar. Correct order, but I worded it wrong.

Jon

...glad to have my Lani Hall's in a row, online...

Order, order, order. That's the way of life for a Capricorn!

Sorry I misread your post.

Harry
...keeping things in order, online and off...

Think nothing of it...I'm an Aries. This means I'm stubborn, hard-nosed, dedicated and orderly. As a matter of fact, my family doesn't refer to me as "Brasil Nut" at all...they call me "Neat Nut" at home! :tongue:

Jon

...neat as a pin, online and off...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom