• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Lani's TV Special!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jazzdre

many years ago,(1985,folks)i was perusing thru my tv giude on a fall evening,and then i saw that on the spanish tv station we have here in ny,that there would be a program,starring lani! the special was simply titled lani hall,and tho most of the special was in spanish,she said a few things in english.it appeared to be a variety special,complete with comedy and of course,music.there was also a video she did where herb was playing his trumpet in the video,sitting in a volkswagen! the song was a beautiful ballad,unfortunately,i don't know the title of the tune. anybody out there saw this special as well?

Memory fails me at the moment. If someone doesn't come along with the answer I'll check it out when I get home.

Harry
NP: radio at work

Checking through the notes about the videotape I have of this special, it looks like Lani (and Herb) did "Para Vivir Asi", a tune from Lani's second Latin album, the 1984 eponymously titled LANI HALL.

I never knew about this special until years later when a forum-regular graciously provided me with a copy. The spouse of said regular provided some amazingly funny translations of the Spanish for me. Suffice it to say that said spouse was not a Lani Hall fan in the slightest!

There were two of these Lani Hall specials on Spanish TV.

Harry
...digging up the answers, online...

I wondedr if Galavision knows they exist...that's the only latin TV network that I have access to. It would be nice to see them.

Dan

I remember a special for Herb's Fandango that was aired on Galavision and had Lani on the show, as well as a young Aria. Don't know about a special that was solely Lani's.

Capt. Bacardi

At least one of these, probably both, were on Univision.

One was more of a straightforward variety special with different settings and guests, while the other attempted a show-long theme of Lani playing half of a couple visiting a goofy psychiatrist because apparently she can't 'speak' Spanish, she can only 'sing' Spanish. Silly stuff, to be sure, in any language.

Harry
...nudging the old brain cells, online...

hey harry, the second lani special,the one with the goofy psychiatrist skit? THAT'S the special i'm talking about!! if i remember correctly,she said in the skit in english,"well yeah it looks like a nut house to me",or something to that effect.anyway that's the special i saw,and let's hope universal releases these specials on dvd/video soon....

jazzdre said:
hey harry, the second lani special, the one with the goofy psychiatrist skit? THAT'S the special i'm talking about!! if i remember correctly, she said in the skit in english,"well yeah it looks like a nut house to me",or something to that effect.anyway that's the special i saw, and let's hope universal releases these specials on dvd/video soon....

If Herb owns all his masters, I'll bet he owns the rights to these specials, too.

Dan

DAN BOLTON said:
If Herb owns all his masters, I'll bet he owns the rights to these specials, too.

It could be complicated, rights-wise, being more of an international venture. We think he owns the rights to the musin, but the actual video presentation? Who knows! Besides, I have a sneaky feeling that Herb and Lani are happy that these DIDN'T get wide distribution - if you know what I mean.

My guess is that if any of this were to surface on DVD or other video format, it would be excerpts of Lani singing her songs, the way that Carpenters material was exerpted from their old music series, or even the way the TjB stuff was trimmed from their old TV specials on that VERY BEST OF video. The framing material on these Lani specials is just not worth repeating, IMHO.

Harry
...happy he's gotten to see them, online...

Harry said:
the other attempted a show-long theme of Lani playing half of a couple visiting a goofy psychiatrist because apparently she can't 'speak' Spanish, she can only 'sing' Spanish. Silly stuff, to be sure, in any language.

Ha ha ha!!! :rotf: My friend Enrique (who is also a Lani Hall's fan) told me something about that "silly stuff". I wish I had done something like that!!!

Midori said:
I missed these TV specials!!! It would be a good idea if these specials were transmitted again!!!

Midori, I have some good news for you: a friend of mine has these TV specials on video. You could get in touch with her if you want this video.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom