• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Leonard Haynes and Ron Rose song "Masquerade"

Status
Not open for further replies.

mapatton

Hello People,

I'm a newbie here and was hoping someone could help me.

I have searched and searched for the lyrics and chords to this song which appeared on the Sergio Mendes and Brazil 66 album "YE ME Le". Please, I feel I've tried everything. I don't know at this
point which record company holds this information (A&M to Polygram to ?). If anyone can please point me in the right direction or has this information, please let me know. Thanks in advance.
Marilyn

I don't know if a songbook was released for that title or album so I can't help you there. The song "Masquerade" is listed on the BMI website (www.bmi.com) at the following page:

http://repertoire.bmi.com/title.asp...64497&ShowNbr=0&ShowSeqNbr=0&querytype=WorkID

The page lists the following info:

MASQUERADE (Legal Title) BMI Work #964497
Songwriter/Composer Current Affiliation CAE/IPI #
HAYNES LEONARD JR BMI 63840674
ROSE RONALD F ASCAP 26706589
Publishers
WARNER-TAMERLANE PUBLISHING CO BMI 185314175
Artists
VALENTIN DAVE

Gee, Sergio's not listed. No respect!

Harry
...searchin', online...

Valentin's version is rather nice, actually. There are a couple of others, too, I've heard through the years. The sheet music is included in the Sergio Mendes & Brasil '77 songbook. It's a very simple song harmonically--Gm7 for the first 8, then Am to Bbmaj7 for the next 8, and Dm7 for the bridge (a few passing chords in there, especially in Sergio's version, but that's the gist of it). I always liked this tune a lot, but it's one of those (typical of late-era B66 for me) that just kind of left me wanting a little bit more.

You guys are great! Harry's and your information has helped so much! I appreciate the chords. You mentioned a songbook... I checked amazon.com and our library's WordCat database and didn't see one published. Do you know where I could get one? Wow, that would be beyond fantastic!

Marilyn

Agreed, JMK. I love Masquerade for a couple of reasons. It seems to level out the song selections of Ye-Me-Le, it's a departure from anything Brasil '66 had recorded before, and Karen can be heard clear as a bell... (of course) this Brasil Nut likes that aspect of Sergio's version! :wink:

According to Sergio, this was the first time he'd recorded the girls individually per channel. What has been described as "hard-edged" is, in reality, somewhat closer to what was heard on stage. Of course, the album has a richer sound with the addition of double-tracked vocals and orchestrations, but Ye-Me-Le was as close to "Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66 Unplugged" as you could get -- an amazing mixture of sounds.

Jon

...who has always been a fan of Ye-Me-Le, online and off...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom