List Of Biggest-Selling Music Artists...WRONG!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon KC1950

I've been a little bit troubled with this for a while.
on the WikiPedia page 'List of best selling music artists' it puts the artists in to different category's. Carpenters are at 100 million.
I think we need to get this changed.
In the 2007 'Only Yesterday: The Carpenters story' documentary it stated that they were approaching 150 million units. That was almost 10 years ago. I also read that their sales increase by around 2-4 million each year. Therefore they could easily be close to 200 million. That would put them in either the top list or the list below that. I would like to see them recognized for their CORRECT amount of incredible sales. How would we change this? Is there anybody on here that has an account on wiki to edit the page? Any thoughts or info about their sales?

Hi
Yes i noticed that needs to be corrected as well.In the Coleman biography released in 1994 it states that Carpenters have sold nearly 100 million records They must have sold 200 million units by now.

If it's on Wikipedia, go ahead and change it. Anybody can edit Wikipedia. Just click the "Edit" button nearest the text you want to edit. CAUTION: You can't just put up stuff you "know," you have to cite where you got your information with a link. Otherwise, within minutes or days (depending on how popular that particular page is), somebody will just go in and take your edits out. Actual sales figures are hard to verify because record companies get sold, and the new owner often doesn't want to keep paying for certification every time a record crosses another threshold of sales.

I do think it's doubtful that Carpenters sold another 100 million albums from '94 to today, but who knows?

CAUTION: You can't just put up stuff you "know," you have to cite where you got your information with a link. Otherwise, within minutes or days (depending on how popular that particular page is), somebody will just go in and take your edits out.

So who does that? And what happens if you just keep changing it back? :laugh:

Over the years, I've often felt that the sales totals for the Carpenters were underestimated and/or underreported, in a variety of publications. I used a benchmark of $120 million as reported ~20 years ago (sorry I can't provide source), and then later I would see totals below that.

At this point, I will consider Simon KC1950 my preferred source...

I would certainly hate to think that this particular system is "rigged...." :wink:

So who does that? And what happens if you just keep changing it back?
I'm not quite sure how it works exactly, but there are a lot of "watchdogs" on Wikipedia, and of course each of them has their own "area of expertise" so they watch certain topics/subjects. Popular topics will get "pranked" from time to time, and can be locked from editing if they are vandalized too often. Sometimes, casual readers will delete information they see as wrong or un-cited. Once, I was reading about some album, and somebody had edited it to say that the saxophone solos were provided by former president Bill Clinton! So I edited that back to what it was supposed to be and noted the changes.

Every change you make (as well as the IP address of the computer where the change comes from) is logged, so if you change something and it gets corrected repeatedly, your IP would probably get blocked.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom