• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

LIVE IN LONDON, 2009 SHM-CD release

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidgra

Hi all.

I received my copy of the new LIVE IN LONDON SHM-CD release today. I'm very impressed with the packaging, not so much with the sound quality.

First I'll address the sound quality -- it's pretty much the same as the CD version released 20 years ago. They've turned up the volume a fraction, but the EQ and the overall mastering sound almost identical to the previous version. This is not to say that it sounds bad; the original sounded pretty good for a live album. But it does not sound to be remastered from the original album masters.

On to the packaging. It's amazing. The miniature LP sleeve looks very nice and looks exactly like my original LP. There's a wrap-around OBI strip that covers part of the front cover and all of the back. Packaged between the OBI strip's back and the LP sleeve is an eight-page booklet full of photos (this is the same size as the LP sleeve, so it doesn't fit inside it).

Inside the LP sleeve is the disc, housed in a clear plastic sleeve. Also inside is a card reproducing the front and back labels from the original LP, and on this card is the numbering for the limited edition. Then there are three other Japanese inserts; one appears to be a reproduction of what would have been included with the original Japanese LP release, one is obviously a modern insert with lots of Japanese text plus lyrics, and the third appears to be some sort of advertisement for other SHM releases.

Here are scans of most of the stuff:

Front and back covers of the mini-LP sleeve:
palladiumfront.jpg
palladiumback.jpg

The CD itself:
liveinlondondisc.jpg

The OBI strip:
palladiumobi.jpg

The LP label reproduction, front and back:
palladiumlabelfront.jpg
palladiumlabelback.jpg

The separate booklet of photos:
palladiuminsertfront.jpg

palladiuminside1.jpg

palladiuminside2.jpg

palladiuminside3.jpg

palladiuminsertback.jpg

So that's the LIVE IN LONDON release. Still waiting for the LIVE IN JAPAN CD to arrive...

David

David, thanks for the scans.
Too bad about the sound, I was expecting you to say it was incredible. Did you have the 40/40 SHM CD, if so how does the 2 compare in regards to sound.

So the booklet of photos is new because I never got that on my original CD (pickwick music/digitally remastered) and there were no photos on my album either. The last photo of Karen in red..not sure I have seen that particular photo before. Karen sure looks beautiful in that photo.

Yeah, I had never seen the booklet of photos, either, but the design of the book is so '70s that I'm wondering if it had been included in the original Japanese LP of the album way back when.

My copies of the LP and original CD are both from the UK, and neither had any book of photos, like yours.

David

That booklet is a new one on me too. My original LP is from the UK and very plain. It's just the jacket with a white inner sleeve. The label is the same stylized A+M design, but the printing is different, with "Carpenters" printed in block text rather than the logo style, and most of the tracklisting text below the center hole.

My CD is like Chris', a Pickwick release that I managed to obtain sometime in the late '90s.

Harry

Nearly 2 months ago post about August 26 releases
SakuraSYayoi said:
August 26, 2009
Details were posted to Universal Music Shop on 18th
Each will have serial number card.
Most albums will have original insert/linernotes. Some have posters like original Japanese LP. Maybe mini poster?
Horizon had message. I wonder if hand-written message would be included this time.
Horizon had special obi, rather bag.
Live at the Palladium will have photo booklet like Japanese LP.
1st & 2nd albums will be like Japanese LP, but also have American paper jackets, too.
3rd album will be double jacket, also have US LP paper sleeve, sticker.
4th album will be like Japanese first press, also have jacket card.

If you will check Universal Music Shop
ポスター is poster
ブックレット is booklet
写真 is photo (hope you can seen them)
http://umshop.jp/umshop/EachPage.php?code=63

My British LP that I ordered in 1976 didn't have the photo booklet, either. My Japanese LP had the booklet.
My Japanese CD that I bought in 1989 probably, didn't have the booklet.

LP "Live at the Palladium" had Japanese name "Live in London" in Japanese. Not printed in English.
Japanese releases sometimes have different Japanese titles from original names. They confuse us. ("Bless the Beasts and Children" and "Calling Occupants..." had both two Japanese titles, we had to remember 3 names each song. lol)

Title at label and cover photo of Japanese LP was "Live at the Palladium" in English. Obi and linernotes had Japanese title "Live in London" in Japanese.
They are the same as this release.

My Japanese CD from '80s had "Live at the Palladium" on CD. And both "Live at the Palladium" in English and "Live in London" in Japanese at the case, I think. (I'll check it later. If I am wrong, I'll post it.) And London bus photo twice, cover of back and back in case.

This release, the smaller insert is replica of Japanese LP liner notes.
The larger insert was not in my '80s CD, but probably later CD had it. The liner note was written by Yuka in '92. The name is Yuka. So Yuko must be written back then. And also added that it was from liner notes from 2000 release.

When I bought the first SHM-CD of Carpenters. I loved the design of the package. Looked gorgeous. The sound was not great as I expected.
"40/40" has amazing quality of sound.
I hadn't expected great sound like "40/40" for August release. I think these releases are for old fans who like to recall LP days.

CD may not sell well. In other countries music company may like download better. Here in Japan, SHM-CD was made. And they continue to release SHM-CD, even from LP albums that had not reissued as CD. I read that SHM-CD's or paper sleeves sell in Japan more than expected as for expensive price.

And it is very good that we can get "Live at the Palladium" again.

Sakura

Edit;
Sorry, not related to this thread,
Chris was talking about photo. I finally found recently where I saw Karen's photo, she wore the green sweater(? what Brits call jumper?). The same in Como Christmas Special. I don't have the fan club item. I'll ask my sister if she still has it. Probably no. :sad:
Thanks for sharing the video again.

Pickiness of the day:

Can we figure out who at Universal Music we need to tell about this? It's bothered me for years. It caught my eye again in the lyrics from LIVE AT THE PALLADIUM.

It's "filé gumbo," not "fillet gumbo." Every time I've seen the lyrics to "Jambalaya" printed in any Carpenters album, it's spelled incorrectly.

Filé is a powder that you add to gumbo to give it its distinctive flavor. My cajun grandmother taught me that.

OK, now that I've gotten that off my chest, I feel better.

David

Sorry David, still off topic
SakuraSYayoi said:
Chris was talking about photo. I finally found recently where I saw Karen's photo, she wore the green sweater(? what Brits call jumper?). The same in Como Christmas Special. I don't have the fan club item.

I had this. I don't remember the green outfit one in what-year-calendar
bibiki5ca-img600x450-1255057500yp5jjc1786.jpg

Sakura
Edit;
Where was this released? Official or bootleg?
namiemx71-img600x450-1242455490xpbe7l70851.jpg

namiemx71-img600x450-1242455490ipkyo270851.jpg

Thanks for the pics Sakura. I just realized where I had seen that photo of Karen in red. I went back and found a pic in my Carpenters pic folder and found this pic from ebay long time ago. This must have been one of the many Carpenter posters available at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom