• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

"Lost Treasures" sound files available

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a dilemma for me. I want to hear the music NOW, but I also want to wait and hear the songs in their entirety. Can I hold out for 3 weeks?

I will try. BUT for those who are not as strong as me, please refrain from posting any major spoilers to the boards until the album is actually out in stores.

I won't say anything about what the Lost Treasures samples sound like, but after listening to them I'm confident that the people who were worried about You Smile, The Song Begins not being reissued can be a lot more optimistic! As for samples on the two reissues, I can't get enough fidelity on my computer to tell how good the quality is so I'll wait along with Mike to find out on Feb. 8th.

David,
who has gotten over his gripes and is ready to get back to what matters, the music.....................

SPOILER...SORRY, MIKE.

DON'T READ FURTHER IF YOU WANT TO PRESERVE THE SOUND ONLINE...ER...OUTSIDE...OR WHATEVER. IF YOU DON'T WANT ONE GUY'S OPINION AFTER LISTENING TO THE SAMPLE CUTS ON SHOUT!'S WEB SITE.

I got good fidelity, OK. And I will chime in on...what the heck. I respect you folks who can wait before auditioning. I can't.

My take: we're going to get some of that never-released third album from the 1974-75 period. Existing "You Smile" cuts are either alternate takes, or remixed with parts added. "Up Cherry Street," for example, is no longer filtered through a "phase shifted gauze" (as All Music Guide describes the original 1974 version). I think I'm hearing Vince Charles in "Popcorn", who was part of the TJB during that era. Also, John Pisano's guitar seems a little more prominent than before on previously released cuts.

... Interesting about "Mexican Shuffle": it sounds much cleaner than I've ever heard it before. Can't tell if it's in stereo.

I have to agree with RichWaddup.

SPOILER WARNING!!! SPOILER WARNING!!!

"Up Cherry Street" is definitely different from the YS-TSB LP version with a "live" peppy feel and Nick Ceroli (I assume) doing his "Aayy" & "wooo" from the old days. And a more pronounced marimba part for Julius.

"Popcorn" is definitely from the reformed brass with pronounced Vince Charles harmonies. But if it's from the unfinished "3rd" comeback LP, where's "Neverland, "Desert Dance", "Somewhere" and "El Bimbo"?

"Alone Again, Naturally" sounds to my ears exactly like the LP version. So with the above I am optimistic about YS-TSB but with this I'm less optimistic.

"Close To You" sounds exactly as I thought it would and tries (like "To Wait For Love" did) to recapture the essence of "This Guy..." But I must say it does NOT compare to the classic version by that brother/sister act from Downey, whose name escapes me at the moment :wink:

On the spoiler front I probably would not have listened if they had samples from every track, but 4 cuts isn't too bad...

--Mr Bill

Alone Again(Naturally) is not the album version. Herb's trumpet part sounds different. Differnt accents and embellishments and also Julius' marimba is not exactly the same. These are definitely alternate tracks.

David,
figuring that the cat's out of the bag........

Well, I'm glad others hear it that way! I'm not hearing it, but I sure hope it's a different version so I can still look forward to YS-TSB and CI on CD!

And welcome back!

--Mr Bill

Thanks Mr. Bill. Appreciate the welcome. I think you will have both YT-TSB and CI on CD in the near future. Randy's word is good enough for me.

David,
going beddy-bye now......

Songs from "You Smile" are essentially the same as the album, tweaked in the way he did with evolving versions of "Emmanuel" on the "Wings" album...or the way "Come What May" changed over the years. But they clearly are the same busic tunes from the 1974 album, remixed, tweaked or alternate-taked. Hope that means we'll still get the full blown CD treatment for the two mid-'70s albums, but this makes me resigned to the probability that we won't. ...

I'm not afraid to listen to these at all, in fact I welcome the opportunity to sample the upcoming stuff - which only INCREASES my excitement for early February.

SPOILERS AHEAD FOR THOSE WHO DON'T WANT MY THOUGHTS:
BRAVO HERB! BRAVO LARRY LEVINE! and BRAVO RANDY BADAZZ ALPERT!

Just listening to these intermediate quality web mp3s, I can tell that these releases have been lovingly handled. Listen to the opening of "The Girl From Ipanema". It sounds cleaner here than on any prior A&M release, where in the opening few seconds it sounded like a dirty 'pot' on the left channel. Clean as a whistle here, even with the mp3 degradation.

"Mexican Shuffle" sound like it's stone, rock-solid mono - not like the wishy-washy fake stereo attempts over the years. Just clean and clear.

"The Lonely Bull" is the full-on, hard left/right stereo mix just as it appeared on the original stereo album. The mono track resides only right, with Herb's overdubbed trumpet only on the left. Attempts over the years to lessen the two-channel effect always sounded somehow 'off' to me.

"Up Cherry Street" is definitely a different mix. Listen to that banjo in the mix, and the trumpets sound like a different take as well.

"Close To You" - My first thought on this one was, "Yep, Herb - you did the right thing to pass on this release and give it to Carpenters." But then after a few plays, I'm getting into the groove of John Pisano's guitar track with that killer rhythm behind it. I can't wait for the rest of it!

"Alone Again, Naturally" - I too hear the difference between this track and the YOU SMILE album version. For one thing, Herb doesn't appear with a little intro ditty at around 11 seconds in on this newer one, and his lead track sounds different. Perhaps this is one he revisited with a new lead part, since the background track sounds like the old one.

"Popcorn" is Herb's take on the Hot Butter song from the '70s. It's definitely got that '70s-sounding T.J.B. feel to it.

All in all, these just served to pique my interest for the upcoming releases.

Harry
...bring on February!, online...

Harry said:
SPOILERS AHEAD FOR THOSE WHO DON'T WANT MY THOUGHTS:
"Up Cherry Street" is definitely a different mix. Listen to that banjo in the mix, and the trumpets sound like a different take as well.

Yeah, you can tell this is where Herb rerecorded the track. The banjo is definitely more up front as well.

"Close To You" - My first thought on this one was, "Yep, Herb - you did the right thing to pass on this release and give it to Carpenters." But then after a few plays, I'm getting into the groove of John Pisano's guitar track with that killer rhythm behind it. I can't wait for the rest of it!

I actually love the rhythm behind this! I never thought of having a samba rhythm for the song. The vocal did nothing for me, however.

"Alone Again, Naturally" - I too hear the difference between this track and the YOU SMILE album version. For one thing, Herb doesn't appear with a little intro ditty at around 11 seconds in on this newer one, and his lead track sounds different. Perhaps this is one he revisited with a new lead part, since the background track sounds like the old one.

Yup, another rerecorded track, and this sounds more like his sound today as opposed to back in '74.

"Popcorn" is Herb's take on the Hot Butter song from the '70s. It's definitely got that '70s-sounding T.J.B. feel to it.

I can't wait to hear the full version of this. Clearly from the 70's TJB with Vince Charles' steel drums in the background. Nice groove.

Because of the rerecorded trumpet parts I think it's obvious that both You Smile... and Coney Island will be eventually reissued in their original form.

Only 18 days to go!

BTW, don't be afraid to listen to the samples. After all, tomorrow is promised to no one. :wink:

Capt. Bacardi
...with a Chesire Cat grin online... :D

Well I once said that I disliked Herb's "Alone Again Naturally", but the new version is much better- very fine- a little less rushed-- I can hear that in the short sample.

Captain Bacardi said:
I actually love the rhythm behind this! I never thought of having a samba rhythm for the song. The vocal did nothing for me, however.

Sounds like a scratch vocal to me. But boy the Brass is really tight behind it.

Mike A.

Captain Bacardi said:
Because of the rerecorded trumpet parts I think it's obvious that both You Smile... and Coney Island will be eventually reissued in their original form.

I hate to tell everybody that I told ya so, but...I told ya so...

Dan

As far as the sound quality of these samples is concerned...it's almost as if there is a new format at play here...like listening to the music on CD for the first time. Everything sounds fantastic!

Dan

Very impressed with the remastering on the three releases..

The Girl From Ipanema,All My Loving,Desafinado- the beat in these songs sound so much stronger...and the trumpet brighter/smoother.

Mexican Shuffle - Wow, big improvement here over the 2000 Definitive Collection! As someone has mentioned earlier, it has lost that irritating muffle that was once in it.

Close To You - In my opinion better than The Carpenters' version...it sounds a little like Sunny with that pace....might of been a better selection than You Are My Life for the last track of Brass Are Comin...would of fit nicely there.

Up Cherry Street - really like this new version with the mod-70s touch

Let It Be Me - may have some "online distortion" in parts...but will be better upon listening to the actual CD. I did notice a much brighter trumpet improvement.

Popcorn - very catchy..can't get it out of my head! love it, especially the steel drums....I swear I've heard this exact version before..I know its a 70s remake, but its so familar!
:D
Alone Again (Naturally) - beautiful song, can't wait to here the entire song....(at the top of my list for a 1st listen on Lost Treasures will be Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head.)

Can't wait till SRO,9th, and Sounds Like gets this long-over due remastering...bet Bean Bag will be very loud.. :thumbsup: ..I think it and Struttin With Maria were recorded on a very high volume setting..coincedentally both of them are at the top of my favorites.

Mike Blakesley said:
This is a dilemma for me. I want to hear the music NOW, but I also want to wait and hear the songs in their entirety. Can I hold out for 3 weeks?

I will try. BUT for those who are not as strong as me, please refrain from posting any major spoilers to the boards until the album is actually out in stores.

Horrible sound clips IMHO...you're not missing much.

I don't really think of this as a "spoiler" per se, but I have had the pleasure of hearing the remastered version of (the song) "The Lonely Bull," and have to say it sounds absolutely amazing. Here, for the first time, you have everything in perfect balance...the way a "stereo" copy should sound. Incredible.

However, "Lonely Bull" aside, I'm waiting to hear the rest of the music when it's released.

Jon

Amazon.com now has sound files available for ALL of the songs on LOST TREASURES, plus all of the songs LONELY BULL, SOUTH OF THE BORDER and WHIPPED CREAM.

Nope, I still haven't listened to any of them yet. I can hold out for 8 more days! [he grits his teeth] :D

Amazon has much better quality sound clips if you listen to the Windows Media version. That garbly Quicktime stuff gave me a headache.

SPOILERS
First of all, "Fire and Rain" is NOT the same b-side you've heard all these years--different lead trumpet part (muted!). Better arrangement--it just sounds more filled out than the original. Likewise, "Whistlestar" seems improved over its original release.

"And I Love Her" sounds like an earlier TJB track, perhaps Whipped Cream/Going Places era. Much different than I thought it would be.

"Close To You"--cool samba arrangement!

"Promises Promises" has a re-recorded lead trumpet part and is remixed. The other You Smile tracks have been remixed and re-recorded. That album did have a slight unfinished quality to it, and these improvements are nice.

"Happy Hour" sounds like something right out of the S.R.O. era! :thumbsup:

"Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head" is certainly different. :wink: It sounds like a runner-up to "Promises Promises"--very similar sound to it.

This one's going to be a keeper once it hits the streets! I'm anxious to hear if the remasters improve on the existing TJB CDs. I'm hoping Ted Jensen just did straight transfers with minimal tweaking; that's about what he did with the Beatles box set, and those sound as good as they'll ever get IMHO.

yikes lookee at all the spoilers....

hmmmmm....

anyhoo mike, i don't think the "whipped cream" on amazon is the new release. i'm pretty sure it's the old one as most of the reviews are old, and there are no bonus trax listed. (aren't there supposed to be a few?)

walt

Oops, you're right. Didn't they have ordering info up for the new one a while ago? Maybe I was dreaming.

FWIW, it is possible to read over these threads without getting "spoiled" if you're careful! :D

I have preorder links on the tijuanabrass.com AND the A&M Corner home page for Whipped Cream. Label says Shout Factory, but there's no track info listed yet. That will all follow when the packaging is final. They still have the artist and title backwards, but I submitted a correction form for it.

I am really looking forward to most of what I heard sampling the Amazon site. However, I am VERY disappointed with FIRE AND RAIN. I really like the B side version from the '70's and was looking forward to having it on CD. I can appreciate the other alternate tracks that are on the album because presumably we will have original YSTSB and CI albums on CD eventually. But why put an alternate track of a completed unreleased track that sounded great the way it was and most of us love? The original would have been at home as an 11th track on SUMMERTIME or a 13th track on YSTSB. I would at least have taken to it better if he used an open trumpet. After all, this is TJB lost treasures, not COLORS lost treasures. The muted trumpet is out of place here and takes away from the TJB feel of the song, IMHO. This is a clear case of if something ain't broke, don't fix it. Now if we get the original version as a bonus track on YSTSB, then maybe I'll warm to this version a little. I just wish Herb would get over his recent obsession with muted playing. There are so many of his songs in recent times that would have been a lot more enjoyable with his vibrant open trumpet sound. That having been said, I am looking forward to the rest of LT with wild anticipation.

David,
resigning himself to his scratched BTS 45 rpm copy of FIRE & RAIN...

I suppose we could make a joke out of it:

Q: How can you tell which tracks on Lost Treasures are original recordings and which were "Re-recordings"???

A: The mute is used on all "Re-recordings." :laugh:

--Mr Bill
who also prefers "unmuted" Herb over "muted" Herb...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom