• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

"Magic Man" Video

Status
Not open for further replies.
OHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGOD!!! Thank you Captain for letting us know about site, me in particular!! The reason I am getting so emotional over this is because it was this tune that got me into Jazz!!

I remember hearing it(believe it or not) on an 'oldies but goodies' station that we had here in New York(WCBS_FM101.1) in early 1982. The station used to play a lot of 50s and 60s and 70s music, and they used to play a lot of Elvis' music. Well, they were preparing to play an 'Elvis anniversary special' and the DJ said here's another Elvis fan we have for you... Mr. Herb Alpert.

From the first note, my jaw dropped! I had no idea that music could be so beautiful! From then on, I was hooked! I wanted to hear more about this guy Alpert, then I heard that he had his own label(so that's why the little trumpet under the A&M logo!), and was one of pop music's biggest selling performers.

I remember seeing a clip of the video when Herb was interviewed by Casey Kasem on AMERICA'S TOP TEN tv show, but didn't see the full video.After that, I got into all things Jazz quite heavily.My second biggest influence in Jazz after Herb was Pat Metheny, then I got into Joe Sample,David Sanborn,Grover Washington Jr, Wes Montgomery, George Benson, etc, until I was led to the true giants:Miles, Sarah Vaughan, Stan Getz, Dizzy Gillespie, Dexter Gordon, John Coltrane, Ella Fitzgerald, etc.

And to think it all started with that one tune! When I finally met Herb about a couple of years ago, when he was displaying his sculptures here in NY at Bryant Park, I told him all that I just mentioned here. First he said, 'oh yeah, Magic Man. I like that tune.' Then he said after I told him what an influence he had been on turning me on to Jazz: 'Wow, I'm glad I inspired that'. Sometimes it's the littlelest things that can inspire a lifetime of enjoyment.(not to bellitle the tune; it was indeed a major step in my growth as a well cultured person that led me to Jazz.)

Another thing before I go: have any of you noticed that in a lot of Herb's videos, there's always a big closeup of his face, particularly his eyes? Look at the This Guy's In Love With You video, You Are My Life, Red Hot, and this one(Magic Man) I've noticed that quite a bit! Also, the woman in the video: Lani? Just checking!

Again, thank you Captain, thank you very much!!

Nice video! Never saw it before. Does this appear on any of the tapes/DVDs that are circulating?

I love seeing video of Mr. Alpert performing live whether it's with the TJB or other ensembles, but I don't enjoy his MTV-ish videos at all. They are to serious. "Magic Man" is a great pop instrumental and I wish he did more of those. I think that the videos i.e. "This Guy's in Love", "Rise", "Magic Man" etc. are more for da chicks. :goofygrin: later....J

TonyCurrie said:
Nice video! Never saw it before. Does this appear on any of the tapes/DVDs that are circulating?

Portions of the video were used in the official VERY BEST OF HERB ALPERT tape/LaserDisc that came out around 1990. It was used as framing video in both the beginning and end while the Herb Alpert/Michel Colombier track called "Ode To The Sun" played, but the whole video wasn't included. Too bad, too, - it's a good one.

Harry

It seems that this 'DailyMotion' site is a french version of YouTube, where they all sorts of videos for everybody to see. In addition to the MagicMan video, there's also videos of Herb performing live with the Jeff Lorber Fusion Band, and clips of Herb perfoming with the Brass on the Hollywood Palace(just like on YouTube).

I'd never seen the video, and was duly impressed. However, there was a large amount of "buffering" going on every few seconds (my browser, maybe?) I'd like to see this on an official DVD release along with "Route 101", "Red Hot" and "Rise".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom