Maynard Ferguson R.I.P.

Status
Not open for further replies.
FWIW, an update: Wounded Bird has reissued (or is about to reissue) all five of the MF Horn albums on CD! (Yea, 4&5 were considered one album...maybe I should call 'em "volumes" or "installments". :wink: ) I'll definitely need to get these. :thumbsup: :goodie:

Yeah, I read yesterday where M.F. Horn 4 & 5 - Live At Jimmy's will be released on 2/27. It seems lately that everytime I clean up an LP and do a needle drop, that LP gets reissued as a CD shortly afterwards. I'll have to try this theory out more with some of my more obscure albums and see what happens. :D

Capt. Bacardi

4 & 5 is a great set--I believe they run down a couple of the Roulette-era songs on that one, like "Fox Hunt". It's more of a straight-ahead big band gig, vs. the overproduced albums that would follow.

I wonder if they fixed the intro to "Country Road" on MF2. That was a problem on Vocalion's reissue. Not their fault, but they simply used the tape they were provided with.

The Wounded Bird reissues are now available on Amazon. I haven't received my copy of MF Horn 2 yet, but reportedly the complete intro to Country Road has been restored. Once mine shows up in a few days, I'll let you know.

On another note...

Information on Maynard's final album - "The One and Only Maynard Ferguson" has been posted at Maynard's website. It will be available for ordering exclusively from the site in early May. He recorded this last year, just a few weeks before passing away.

Also, there is a tribute concert DVD that will also be on sale (late May), which features many MF alumni, and a second DVD with vintage Maynard performances.

Nathan Strum said:
The Wounded Bird reissues are now available on Amazon. I haven't received my copy of MF Horn 2 yet, but reportedly the complete intro to Country Road has been restored. Once mine shows up in a few days, I'll let you know.

Excellent--I look forward to finding out! I'm looking forward to finally getting this on CD.

Nathan Strum said:
Also, there is a tribute concert DVD that will also be on sale (late May), which features many MF alumni, and a second DVD with vintage Maynard performances.

This will be interesting. One of the Manyard fan sites put together a big WMV file of old performances compiled together for downloading. It will be nice to see some official release of Maynard on video. :thumbsup:

Rudy said:
Excellent--I look forward to finding out! I'm looking forward to finally getting this on CD.

Just got MF Horn 2 today - the full version of Country Road is indeed on there. I hadn't realized a full 20 seconds had been lopped off the Dutton Vocalion version. It's nice to have it back. The rest of the CD sounds fantastic, too. (Although I could really do without the incessant 5 minutes of tambourine playing on "Theme from Shaft".)

Just got my copy of "The One and Only Maynard Ferguson".

Excellent album! Some of Maynard's best playing in years, and a great band. Great soloing throughout and awesome arrangements too.

Highly recommended. :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom