Mendes & Mandel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aqua do Brasil

Dear Forum Members,

To my knowlegde, during his outstanding songwriting career, composer/arranger Johnny Mandel wrote only one song especially for Sergio Mendes, the second track on the EQUINOX album ‘CINNAMON AND CLOVE’, together with the husband/wife songwriting team Alan & Marilyn Bergmann.
BTW, Alan & Marilyn Bergmann wrote, with different composers some fine tunes for and with Sergio, SO MANY STARS, LOOK AROUND, LIKE A LOVER, WHEN SUMMER STARTS TO SNOW, PRETTY WORLD and the haunting ballad THE TROUBLE WITH HELLO IS GOODBYE.

Johnny Mandel’s music career is versatile and impressive.
Best known for the song THE SHADOW OF YOUR SMILE for the movie soundtrack THE SANDPIPER and the theem from television/movie production M.A.S.H.

A quote by lyricist Paul Webster:
–‘A song can come from anywhere,’ THE SHADOW OF YOUR SMILE started off as the instrumental theme for the SANDPIPER–
You know this song should have a verse, ’ and we wrote it right then an there on the phone.

Worked as trombone player with The Tommy Dorsey band and also with Count Basie amongst. In 1962 he started to conduct for a Frank Sinatra’s recording session due to the first Reprise release from Sinatra on his own recording cy.
Through the ’70s and ’80 , and ’90s, Mandel has continued to add to his vast body body of work, including arrangments and/or production for Michael Jackson, Quincy Jones, Miles Davis, Barbara Streisand, Natalie (seven arrangments on her grammy-winning UNFORGETTABLE album), and Shirley Horn as well as his own solo work.. In addition to his Academy Award and two nominations, he has won four Grammies and six nominations, as well as three EMMY nominations.

Only one song he wrote for Sergio Mendes, a pity it would have been such a fine combination; songs by Mandel and Sergio’s masterfull AMERICAN /BRAZILIAN trademark sound with lush orchestrations by Johnny Mandel.

Someone asked Mandel once, what kind of records do you play mostly in your sparetime at home? Mandel answered: ‘Stevie Wonder and Peggy Lee’.

In 1992 when i spoke to the wonderful singer KEVYN LETTAU at the phone, at that time a member of Sergio’s group, I suggested a possible cooperation between Mendes and Mandel. Her reaction was zero, she didn’t say a word about it.

All the best, AQUA do BRASIL

Aqua do Brasil said:
Dear Forum Members,

Johnny Mandel’s music career is versatile and impressive.
Best known for the song THE SHADOW OF YOUR SMILE for the movie soundtrack THE SANDPIPER and the theme from television/movie production M.A.S.H.

dear Forum Members,

SCORES BY JOHNNY MANDEL

FEATURE FILMS:
Brenda Starr
Staying Alive
The verdict
Looking To Get Out
Deathtrap
Caddyshack
Being there
Baltimore Bullit
Agatha
Freaky Friday
The Sailor who Fell From Grace With The Sea
Escape From Witch Mountain
The Last deatil
Souvenir
‘W’
Summer Wishes, Winter Dreams
Journey Through Rosebud
Cactus Molly and Lawless John
A New Leaf
The Man Who Had The Power
Over Woman
M*A*S*H
Some kind of nut
That cold day in the park
Heaven with a gun
Point Blank
Pretty Poison
American Dream
Harper
The Russians are coming, The Russians are coming.
The Sandpier
The Americanization of Emily
Drums of Africa
The Lawbreaker
The third voice
I want to live

MOVIES FOR TELEVISION:
Kaleidoscope
Single woman, Married MAn
The great escape (4 Hour)
Assault and matrimony
Foxfire
LBJ
Christmas Eve
A letter to three wives
Eva Peron: First Lady (4 Hour)

TELEVISION SERIES:
Jack and Mike
Amazing stories
Too close for comfort
M*A*S*H
Banyon
Grandpa, Mom, Dad and Ritchie

All the best,
Aqua do Brasil

You would probably like Mandel's album with Joao Gilberto (Brasil, also featuring Caetano, Maria B. and Gilberto G.).

JMK said:
You would probably like Mandel's album with Joao Gilberto (Brasil, also featuring Caetano, Maria B. and Gilberto G.).

Dear JMK,

I do, yes indeed.
I have both the LP and Cd album, great album.

All the best,
Aqua do Brasil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom