Merry Christmas, Darling covered by Stephanie J. Block.

I'm not familiar with this person but it's pretty neat that 'Merry Christmas, Darling' is the title of the album itself.

Even with an arrangement that has Richard written all over it - and a well deserved Tony Award in hand - Block strains in her semi-operatic and "breathy" style to convey the strong nostalgic feel of this, one of the most beautiful Christmas songs ever composed.

All this accomplishes , like every other cover we've ever heard - is to once again confirm what a gorgeous instrument Karen's voice was, what a great singer she was in terms of her natural ability as a "song-stylist", and just how brilliantly and effortlessly she conveyed the exact emotions intended by the composers. It wasn't just her voice that was incomparable.

The insurmountable problem here for everyone else is that Karen Carpenter got there first, and set a standard no one will ever touch.

The insurmountable problem here for everyone else is that Karen Carpenter got there first, and set a standard no one will ever touch.
So true. What worries me with the covers is that someday, somehow, one of these covers will supplant Carpenters' version as the holiday perennial. I hope that never comes to pass, but knowing how radio programmers think - "Ooh, here's a new version of the song that we can now rotate with the Carpenters version". That has the effect of getting Carpenters recording fewer plays. And then down the road, "Oh, that Carpenters version is so old and the new version is so much fresher." Guess I'm in a bit of a pessimistic mood at the moment. Hopefully that never occurs.

I'm guessing Richard and the Pooler estate will receive some well deserved royalties from this excellent cover? Not sure how the music business works in today's world.

So true. What worries me with the covers is that someday, somehow, one of these covers will supplant Carpenters' version as the holiday perennial. I hope that never comes to pass, but knowing how radio programmers think - "Ooh, here's a new version of the song that we can now rotate with the Carpenters version". That has the effect of getting Carpenters recording fewer plays. And then down the road, "Oh, that Carpenters version is so old and the new version is so much fresher." Guess I'm in a bit of a pessimistic mood at the moment. Hopefully that never occurs.
Someone like Taylor Swift, for example? Possible, given her raw appeal and charisma and widespread popularity, if not necessarily her singing talent, which is nowhere near Karen's...

I hope this never occurs too - and the fact that Carpenter's version of MCD is still going strong after 53 years is a good omen.

Back
Top Bottom