• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Midnight Special appearance

Status
Not open for further replies.

bizwriter

My apologies if this has been covered before. About 1975 Herb and the TJB made an appearance on the NBC program "Midnight Special." Wolfman Jack was the host that night. The group played twice on the program; the first time was a medley of TJB hits. The second was a tune I've not heard before or since, and wasn't introduced by name. Anyone have any idea of its name and whether it ever made its way to a recording? Thanks.

The show you mention was a "Best Of" kind of show of the Midnight Special. They played the medley along with a tune called "Desert Dance". On the full show they also performed "Coney Island" and "Carmine". The other guests were Supertramp, Captain & Tennille, Billy Preston and Phoebe Snow. "Desert Dance" was never on any album.

Capt. Bacardi

Herb did another tune, a duet with Dave Frishberg, that I never heard before or since...but can recall the melody completely. Really nice. I have an audio cassette of the show...

I remember eagerly looking at the CONEY ISLAND album to see where "Desert Dance" was listed and being royally cheezed off when it was not there. (If memory serves, I found out the song title from a listing in the TV Guide.)

I still say I heard the Brass play "Love Will Keep Us Together" on the radio one time. I can't remember exactly when. But I'd say it was at about the time of "Coney Island" or a little later. The tempo was like "Fox Hunt" but a bit slower.

I also heard "Can You Dig It" one time by the BMB. And after 30 years finally found out it really existed. So, I'm going to trust my memory on this one again. I bet it was a DJ promo that didn't get released. We can hope there's something new/old out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom