• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Milton & Mendes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aqua do Brasil

Dear Mendes followers,

In his longstanding recording career, Sergio recorded just two tracks by the Brazilian Composer/Singer Milton Nascimento and he produced two Milton songs on the Sara Vaughan Brazilian Romance Album from 1987.
The opening track is a wonderful duet between Sara and Milton, with a great lyricon solo by Tom Scott and fine arrangment by Dori Caymmi who played his guitar like a harp on this track.

Correct me if i’m wrong, he recorded VERA CRUZ on Crystal Illusions and (VERA CRUZ) and CRAVELO E CANELO on Arara).

Just two songs, in my opinion too less for this great Singer/ Composer.
For me I consider Milton as ‘The Nightingale of Brazil’ with his extraordinary typical voice.

All the best
Aqua do Brasil

You forgot Morro Velho from Pais Tropical. Might be one or two others--I'll have to wake up a little bit first. :)

Aqua do Brasil,

Do you have Milton's own album for A&M, called "Milton"? It was recorded in Los Angeles in 1976, with Herbie Hancock doing unbelievably beautiful work on electric and acoustic piano. The twelve-string guitar and the ensemble, combined with Nascimento's voice, is really a stellar platform for the songs he does. If not, I highly recommend it; it's on the Verve By Request series.

MILTON was reissued by Verve on CD, and it's definitely worth getting. To complete your Nascimento on A&M collection you need COURAGE -- like the cowardly lion --- SP 3019 (CTI) and his 1979 album JOURNEY TO DAWN (SP 4719)
JB

Has anyone ever found "Journey to Dawn" on CD? It's on my perennial "need to get" list, but I've never run across it. A friend said it was released a couple of years ago as part of a boxed set, but I've never seen that, either.

The Journey to Dawn album is part of the "Amigo É Coisa Pra Se Guardar" Milton Nascimento 10-cd box set, which was issued quite a while ago in Brazil. Somlivre still offers it through their website.

Paula

JMK said:
You forgot Morro Velho from Pais Tropical. Might be one or two others--I'll have to wake up a little bit first. :)

Yes you’re right JMK,
I forgot this wonderful composition by Milton and a nice interpretation by Sergio Mendes and Brasil ’77.

On Miltons JAGUARETE Columbia album from 1990 there’s a new version of MORRO VELHO by Milton. On the same album a duet with Paul Simon and with sidemen such as Don Grusin, Herbie Hancock the great Brazilian percussionist Roberthina Da Silva and more ..

All the best Aqua Do Brasil

seashorepiano said:
Aqua do Brasil,

Do you have Milton's own album for A&M, called "Milton"? It was recorded in Los Angeles in 1976, with Herbie Hancock doing unbelievably beautiful work on electric and acoustic piano. The twelve-string guitar and the ensemble, combined with Nascimento's gorgeous voice, is really a stellar platform for the songs he does. If not, I highly recommend it; it's on the Verve By Request series.

Yes, Seashorepiano,

I have Milton’s US A&M album already as LP at the time when it was released in 1977 and the Verve request reissue on CD. Nice album produced by Rob Fabroni with great performances by Herbie Hancock and the great soprano Jazz legend wizard Wayne Shorter (From Weather Report, fame). Nice cover picture in pink and blue with the waterdrops.
By the way, during a signature session after Sergio’s concert in 1996 at the North Sea Jazz festival in The Hague, the Netherlands i saw Sergio and Wayne Shorter talking too each other, they met just by accident.

The Courage album on A&M / CTI is also wonderful album with arrangements by Deodato and again with Herbie Hancock. Another A&M/CTI album by the late alt saxophone player Paul Desmond, In the hot afternoon features songs and performances by Milton and Edu Lobo. Highly recommend album with lush arrangements by Don Sebesky. The former Bossa Rio guitarist Durval Ferreira sets the fine rhytmic groove.

All the best,

Aqua Do Brasil

Paula said:
The Journey to Dawn album is part of the "Amigo É Coisa Pra Se Guardar" Milton Nascimento 10-cd box set, which was issued quite a while ago in Brazil. Somlivre still offers it through their website.

Paula

Dear Paula,

Are aware of the album CLUBA DE ESQUINA by Milton?
Released in the late ’70 by EMI ODEON do Brasil as a double LP album.
It appears now an than as an single CD (Dusty Groove).
Nice acoustic orientated album with Danilo Caymmi on flute and guitar and Paulo Jobim on guitar with Wagner Tiso on keys amongst others. Mostly songs composed with his longtime partner Lo Borges.

All the best,
Aqua do brasil

seashorepiano said:
Aqua do Brasil,

Do you have Milton's own album for A&M, called "Milton"? It was recorded in Los Angeles in 1976, with Herbie Hancock doing unbelievably beautiful work on electric and acoustic piano. The twelve-string guitar and the ensemble, combined with Nascimento's gorgeous voice, is really a stellar platform for the songs he does. If not, I highly recommend it; it's on the Verve By Request series.

I have to correct myself now!
BRIDGES (Travessia) is the fourth composition by Milton Nascimento which Sergio recorded for his 1978 BRASIL 88 album release on Elektra records. So far as i know there are four Milton song recorded by Sergio in his longstanding recording carreer.

BRIDGES was one of the tracks on the KEVYN LETTAU debut album for Nova records. Sergio accompanied Kevyn in a Vocal/keyboard duet. Just Sergio and Kevyn, and she sung as well in English as in Portuguese.

All the best,
Aqua do Brasil

An obvious bookend to MILTON is jazz great Wayne Shorter's NATIVE DANCER,recorded almost at the same time with Nascimento,Herbie Hancock and Airto. During Wayne's long association with Weather Report(the group that defined 1970s " jazz fusion"),this was his only solo project and it was completely different than any other album he has ever done-this coming from a reed player responsible for some of the Blue Note label's finest hours,possibly the perfect foil for Miles Davis(yes,even more than John Coltrane) and was even responsible for many a jazz critic's best album in 2002,FOOTPRINTS LIVE and 2003,ALEGRIA. NATIVE DANCER may be the best Brazilian/American jazz fusion album of all time. Mac

Native Dancer is one of my all-time faves, too, but have you noticed the hideous tape-speed problems on the second track on the CD remaster (Beauty and the Beast, if memory serves). It almost makes the CD unlistenable for me.

This is a little extreme on the Milton list, but Milton co-sang the original version of Viola Enluarada with Marcos Valle. So, that would make it 5?

Trevor said:
This is a little extreme on the Milton list, but Milton co-sang the original version of Viola Enluarada with Marcos Valle. So, that would make it 5?

Dear Trevor,
You’re right on this one.
Milton sung on the title track on Marcos Valle’s ‘Viola Enluarda Album’; Milton was more or less introduced for the world by Marcos Valle.
Released on EMI-Odeon do Brasil, also Milton’s first record company.

This was Marcos Valle’s more dramatic sensitive album since the previously uptempo witty (partly sung in English) Samba 68 album on Verve, (only three months in between the two albums both released in 1968).

All the best,
Aqua do Brasil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom