• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

"Music For Your Eyes"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bacardi

I recently received a neat little promo package that I won on eBay of Herb's "Music For Your Eyes" art collection. Included was a press kit, a hard-cover version of the book on Herb's paintings and scultures, and the grand-daddy of it all - a DVD of the film documentary that has been on the Sundance Channel in the past few months. I don't have the Sundance Channel myself (I already pay too much for stations I don't watch) but I saw this film last year at the SXSW festival here in Austin. I had forgotten how much new music was in the background of the film, including an extended version of "Ode To The Sun", which was on "The Very Best Of Herb Alpert" video. This was filmed on that Sony High-Definition system, so it's great to have this on DVD.

The music in the background made me think that Herb could do some cool film music for a mystery flick. I always thought some of his solo ballads would work in a love scene.

Capt. Bacardi

Film-makers don't often look to a solo horn player for film music but it can be very effective. Check out the soundtrack to the great Robert Redford movie, "Sneakers" for a good example. It features Branford Marsalis on sax and is one of the cooler soundtracks I've heard.

Mike Blakesley said:
Film-makers don't often look to a solo horn player for film music but it can be very effective. Check out the soundtrack to the great Robert Redford movie, "Sneakers" for a good example. It features Branford Marsalis on sax and is one of the cooler soundtracks I've heard.

Not to mention a good movie! But I like watching some of those old cheesy mystery/detective movies and often there's some sultry trumpet work going on in the background.

Capt. Bacardi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom