My Body Keeps Changing My Mind As A Single?

Would [i]My Body Keeps Changing My Mind[/i] have made a good choice for a 45 single release in 1979?

• Total voters
Although I do believe "My Body Keeps Changing My Mind" would have been successful on the charts, it would have had to have been released in 1978. By 1979 disco had reached its peak and matured in sound. The lush arrangement of the track fits in 1978 better than 1979 sonically - in reference to the progression of the disco sound. I do wish that the fade would have come later, allowing for more of the repeated chorus to be heard. "Guess I Just Lost My Head" would have fit right in on the pop charts any time in 1979 or 1980 - and was a bit more what the public may have expected to hear
MBKCMM_MOCK_Karen_Carpenter.jpg
from Karen Carpenter.

^^Ron, I read your post with interest, as I find the song
Guess I Just Lost My Head
to be one of the weakest off of the solo album (I realize I am in the minority in the view).
Interestingly enough, back in those days--1978/1979--I did not like disco at all.
But, if I had heard My Body Keeps Changing My Mind at that time, I still would have loved it !
Now, whether or not, the average music listener (as opposed to a Karen Carpenter/Carpenters' fan)
would have gravitated to the song, that is a question I am unable to answer.
No one I knew, or talked to, in 1978/1979 gave any thought at all to Carpenters,
a shame, really.

Now, whether or not, the average music listener (as opposed to a Karen Carpenter/Carpenters' fan)
would have gravitated to the song, that is a question I am unable to answer.
No one I knew, or talked to, in 1978/1979 gave any thought at all to Carpenters,
a shame, really.

When I've played Karen's solo songs to friends and family members who are non-Carpenters fans, every one of them has singled this track out for particular praise. It's also the one that tends to get played on the many documentaries where the subject of Karen's album comes up, so it must resonate with the people producing these shows too.

Last edited:
When I've played Karen's solo songs to friends and family members who are non-Carpenters fans, every one of them has singled this track out for particular praise. It's also the one that tends to get played on the many documentaries where the subject of Karen's album comes up, so it must resonate with the people producing these shows too.

Alas, I think its repeated use in documentaries is to tie in neatly (if very misleadingly, given that the rest of the solo album is nothing like it) straight after Richard's comment of 'I told her "don't do disco"!' I can only recall one TV documentary playing anything other then 'My Body...', which used 'Still Crazy After All These Years' instead.

Also, the song is "tied-in" to the documentaries at the point where they try to
infer a connection between Karen performing this song at a time (1979) when she was
clearly grappling with her anorexia. That, however, is misleading--as there is absolutely
no relationship/correlation between Karen recording this song and her health at that time.
I never listen to a Carpenters' song and try to infer a connection between Karen's life and the song.
She and Ramone apparently listened to songs on their drive into New York City and chose possibilities.
She and Richard apparently had an understanding...Richard chooses the songs.
(except, of course: Sweet,Sweet Smile).

According to Billboard's Hot 100 year-end hits of 1979 My Sharona was the #1 song of the year. I think this confirms that the disco craze was seriously waning at this time seeing how it was more of a rock song. Though the top ten still had a lot of disco music including the awful YMCA and the equally awful Ring My Bell clocking in at #8 and 9 respectively. As far as the vote; I voted "yes", though I am not a fan of "Disco Karen". The song certainly was no worse that Rod Steward's Da Ya Think I'm Sexy? which was #4 for 1979. My Body Keeps Changing My Mind reminds me too much of the "Love Boat" theme and there is a weird way she is pronouncing "dancing" on the track; for effect maybe? (almost sounds like a drawl). But her voice is as sweet and lovely as ever...I just didn't care for the material. I believe it definitely would have charted, maybe not the top 20, but close.

ooops...that's Rod Stewart, not Steward!:doh:

GaryAlan; Da Ya Think I'm Sexy? could have benefited from a Bob Messenger flute solo, what do you think? :laugh:

Well I like Richard's remix on From The Top and I think that had it been released as a single in 1990, it might've climbed the Dance Charts, because the one thing that I find with the song is even though it has the disco elements, it got more a ballroom dance feel to it. When Karen goes hits her highest note, I tend to see a couple on the dance floor doing a twirl, where the guy is holding the woman's hand as the woman spins.

Back
Top Bottom