• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Need help with a Sergio song...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbsugar

Music is life
I was listening to a easy-listening station and I heard "This Maquerade"...and it sounded like Sergio Mendes....the radio announcer said that it was indeed by Sergio, and it was from a recent release.

I looked in his discography on this site and I couldn't find it...not only that, I was unaware that Sergio has released an album recently. Can anyone provide me with any info? My curiousity is piqued.

Though it was a recent release (in Japan), the album that it's from was recorded in 1974, Vintage '74, in fact. What's more surprising to me is that you heard it on the radio! This is the first time that the album's ever been released on CD.

Harry
NP: birds chirping in the early morning

This Masquerade on radio? That's interesting! Who'd 'a thunk it?! Seriously, I've heard more of Sergio lately as well. Heard "Never Gonna Let You Go" and "Fool On The Hill" last week going to and from the airport. Also heard "Walk The Way You Talk" while doing errands the other day on our local easy listening station. Hmmm...sounds to me as if Sergio is getting a bit of a media push? Or is it coincidence? Hard to tell. I was just pleased to have heard them at all.

I think we're in for an exciting 2004!

Jon

...ready for the New Year, online...

Sergio's version of "This Masquerade" got quite a bit of MOR station airplay in SLC when I was a kid. I remember calling the stations trying to get them to play "Don't You Worry 'Bout a Thing" (which seemed like the natural single to me). Sergio's arrangement of "TM" seems to harken back to the "whirly-swirly" piano motifs of "Sometimes in Winter" and "Song of No Regrets," another reason this album reminds me more of Brasil '66 than other efforts of this period.

Thanks for the info, y'all! I guess the reason it wasn't on the site discography was...well, it wasn't A&M!

Why didn't A&M keep them signed longer?

That discography WILL someday include all the post-Brasil '66 albums, on A&M or not....it's a work in progress. The only thing stopping it is, there aren't more than 24 hours in a day!

As to why A&M didn't keep Sergio around...his final album for them (first time around) was PRIMAL ROOTS, so given its sales, they may not have been to eager to re-sign him. A&M was moving in more of a rock/pop direction by then anyway, with the demise of the original TJB and the BMB. Styx, Frampton, Cat Stevens, and Carpenters were all happening (or about to happen) around that time, so the label's focus was changing. It's also possible Sergio just wanted a change of scenery. Or, Bell offered him a better deal. It's anyone's guess, really. Next person to meet Sergio: Ask him that question!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom