• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

New Burt Bacharach CD Due on Nov 1st

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Sidoruk

Founder, A&M Fan Net
Staff member
Burt Bacharach's new CD, At This Time, will be released on Columbia on November 1st.
It contains the following tracks:
1. Please Explain
2. Where Did It Go?
3. In Our Time
4. Who Are These People?
5. Is Love Enough?
6. Can't Give It Up
7. Go Ask Shakespeare
8. Dreams
9. Danger
10. Fade Away
11. Always Taking Aim

Awesome! :) :) :) I've been listening to Bacharach on my vehicle stereo all weekend, so this is icing on the cake!

It'll be available on LP too, FYI.

The songs all seem to go together as in some kind of a theme... :o I like when albums do that... Will this be mostly instrumental? Will there be "guest singers"? :?: Sure would be nice to look into this...

Dave

...A House is Not a Home...! :love:

Without steering someone to specific interviews(a quick Google search will get you there),be forewarned that this is a highly political album,loaded with lyrics,mostly written this time by Mr. Bacharach. Guest performers include Chris Botti, Dr. Dre,Elvis Costello and Rufus Wainwright,son of singers Loudon Wainwright III and Suzzy Roche. Burt was told by Sony exec Rob Stringer not to deliver an album of pop songs but to take some risks. As Burt turns 77 this year,these risks that Burt is taking should be interesting.....Mac

Here's a bit from the new Rolling Stone about this album.

-------------

In an awesomely weird pairing, seventy-seven year old swinger Burt Bacharach recruited Dr. Dre to provide Snoop-worthy bass and drum loops for three songs on his new disc. Bacharach says he is "not necessarily" a big fan of rap. "I'm a big fan of Dre's. The guy gets the most unbelievable sounds." Elvis Costello and Rufus Wainwright also make appearances of the album, which pairs Bacharach's luch orchestral arrangements with angry lyrics about the Bush administration. "I spent all this time writing love songs," he says. "I never rocked the boat. If I lose some fans, that's OK."

---------------------------------

(Mike again) Well I have to say that I'm prepared for a letdown here. I hope I'm wrong though. One good thing: Since it's attacking the Bush administration, Rolling Stone will probably give the album front page coverage when it comes out! :D

Watch that line, folks! :D

--Mr Bill
wondering if Burt has become Phil Ochs or Ochs has been reborn as Burt :tongue:

Well, Political Connotations aside, this should be one interesting CD... Though I can't say much for the "Current Stock" of today's artists Burt is unfortunately stuck with... :D

Elvis (Why does HE get Diane Krall?!) Costello, Rufus (t#@$ man--as father, Loudon put it in one song :laugh: ) Wainwright and Dr. Dre, I guess will do compared to who he'd get otherwise... :rolleyes: :wink:

Dave

...and still looking forward to this release...

For the record - I'm more worried about the sound of the album than the lyrics or the "political" content. I was hoping for a sequel to the great A&M albums, but that may not happen. (Plus, any writer who has always used lyricists in the past invariably writes poor lyrics.)

Montana Mike B (aka Blake Forsythe) said:
Plus, any writer who has always used lyricists in the past invariably writes poor lyrics.

I'll bet you're right! I think most of will find the biggest things missing to be Hal David or Carole Bayer Sager (though I strongly suspect she will be preence oin this record. And since it will also be on vinyl it sure is great to say "record" instead of "disc" again!)

--Mr Bill

Is It Fat Fingers?--or Bad Grammar?--Mr. Bill said:
...I think most of will find the biggest things missing to be Hal David or Carole Bayer Sager (though I strongly suspect she will be preence oin this...

I'm sure you mean "you strongly suspect she will be Present or Have Prescence On this..." :badteeth:

Well, I'm sure she'll play some role in developing the compositions... :winkgrin:

Dave

Is It Fat Head?--or Bad Manners?--Mr. Dave said:
...I'm sure you mean "you strongly suspect she will be Present or Have Prescence On this..."

Of course I meant one or the other... I had it one way, edited to the other, decided I liked the previous way 'cept I forgot to change the one word and... BOOM! you got me in a typo (or actually more like a "grammo")....

--Mr Bill

Mr Bill said:
Of course, I meant one or the other...

--Mr Bill

OK, I'm sorry, Bill...I didn't mean to criticize any grammo- or typo- here...!! ...Not in a disrespectful way! :sad:

...Feeling a lil' Swollen, right now...Back to topic, off to bed... :yawn:

Dave

A&Mguyfromwayback said:
Oh, I'm sure she won't..ever since they divorced, I don't think they've done anything even remotely together, have they?

I don't believe they have. I know Burt has remarried within the past few years. I think I would miss having a true lyricist with his music, but I can't really pass judgement until I've heard the actual album.

I read the article. It has a few samples from the lyrics. How do I say this nicely? They seem ... not up to Bacharach standards, let's put it that way.

Hmmm. Interesting article, but underwhelming content. Burt should reconcile with Hal David and give us an album of tunes we'll like...

--Mr Bill

I would have been happy with another (mainly) instrumental album a la "Woman". But I agree--while he may not be in his prime with Hal David anymore (their recent collaborations weren't near what they did in the 60s and 70s), IMHO he has done well with the right lyricist--Elvis Costello was the right lyricist for his project in the 90s, and I think they could probably collaborate successfully again. Thing is, good lyricists are a dying breed these days...

I won't pass judgement until I actually hear the album though...

Yep! That was as close to "classic Bacharach" as we'd seen or heard in a very LONG time!

--Mr Bill

Here are the new album's titles with running times, for those interested in that sort of thing.

1.Please Explain - 4:22
2.Where Did It Go? - 4:21
3.In Our Time - 4:09
4.Who Are These People? - 4:17
5.Is Love Enough? - 6:08
6.Can't Give It Up - 4:39
7.Go Ask Shakespeare - 5:45
8.Dreams - 4:13
9.Danger - 4:31
10.Fade Away - 3:52
11.Always Taking Aim - 6:54

Total 53:11

53:11 on LP is going to be a tight squeeze. I wonder if they leave a track or two off of it, or release it as two LPs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom