NEW CARPENTERS COVER PLEASE READ!

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottb

Hi All,

I just found out about a new release that may interest some members.

Just a bit of background info first.

Singer/Guitarist Matthew Sweet and Singer/Guitarist Susanna Hoffs (from the Bangles) are releasing there second album of cover tunes.

If you remember when Carpenters tribute CD 'If I Were A Carpenter' came out in the 90's Matthew Sweet did a great job on 'Let Me Be The One' (with Richard singing background vocals and playing a Wurlitzer electric piano).

Well now on July 21st there second album of covers will be out. The CD has 16 tracks, however there is an additional 10 track digital download only which features a cover of 'A SONG FOR YOU'.

I"m not sure of the download details (if you can download each song individually or just the whole package of 10 songs) iTunes and some other websites will have it like Amazon etc.

Below is some info about the release from Billboard and the full tracklisting for the CD as well as the tracklist for the digital download.

This release looks like it will be enjoyable for many people and the choice of songs is quite good.

I've listed the original artists for the 16 tracks on the CD but haven't had time to get all the artists names for the 10 track digital download.

Scott B

Susanna Hoffs, Matthew Sweet Go 'Under The Covers' Again

Susanna Hoffs, the petite rock singer/guitarist whose band the Bangles remains one of the most enduring all-girl groups in history, has always had an ear for a good cover. "I taught myself music by listening to music," she says. "I would become obsessed with certain songs, and I taught myself how to sing by copying records."

In 2006, she emerged from a semi-sabbatical by releasing an album of duets with power-pop master Matthew Sweet. "Under the Covers, Vol. 1," a collection of '60s songs, proved that time hadn't dulled her ability to harmonize.

When Hoffs and Sweet, sometimes known as Sid & Susie, reconvened last year in his Los Angeles studio for "Under the Covers, Vol. 2," they discovered why the diverse sounds of the '70s -- power-pop, glam rock, classic rock and even prog -- had made such an indelible impression on each of their musical progressions.

The resulting 16 tracks -- plus an additional 10 songs that will be available as a bonus edition download -- cover a range of styles, from hits like Rod Stewart's "Maggie May" to record-nerd favorites like Big Star's "Back of a Car." Hoffs and Sweet even scored guest spots from Mick Fleetwood, Dhani Harrison and Yes' Steve Howe, who re-creates his Portuguese 12-string guitar part on "I've Seen All Good People."

"We try to inhabit the originals," Sweet says. "Both of our voices are so distinct, anything we do is going to sound like us. Most of what we've done is add harmony things that weren't on the originals."

The album will be released July 21 by Shout Factory. That day, Hoffs and Sweet will take part in an onstage interview, audience Q&A and acoustic performance before an intimate audience of 200 at the Grammy Museum in Los Angeles. September tour dates are already booked in Philadelphia, New York and Chicago with more to follow.

While Sweet and Hoffs were longtime acquaintances and mutual fans of each other's music (they were in the "Austin Powers" band Ming Tea together), the process of making the "Under the Covers" albums has brought them even closer.

Tracklisting:
1. Sugar Magnolia (The Grateful Dead)
2. Go All The Way (The Raspberries)
3. Second Hand News (Fleetwood Mac)
4. Bell Bottom Blues (Derek & The Dominoes)
5. All The Young Dudes (Mott The Hoople)
6. You're So Vain (Carly Simon)
7. Here Comes My Girl (Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers)
8. I've Seen All Good People: Your Move/All Good People (Yes)
9. Hello It's Me (Todd Rundgren)
10. Willin' (Little Feat)
11. Back Of A Car (Big Star)
12. Couldn't I Just Tell You (Todd Rundgren)
13. Gimme Some Truth (John Lennon)
14. Maggie May (Rod Stewart)
15. Everything I Own (Bread)
16. Beware Of Darkness (George Harrison)

Bonus Digital Download Tracks

The 10 digital tracks will be available on iTunes and most digital service providers.

The digital track listing is:

1. Dreaming
2. Marquee Moon
3. I Wanna Be Sedated
4. Baby Blue
5. You Say You Don't Love Me
6. (What's So Funny 'Bout)) Peace Love
7. You Can Close Your Eyes
8. Melissa
9. Killer Queen
10. A Song For You

Status