• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

New Guy logs in...

Status
Not open for further replies.

linus

Hi everyone. Just had to say what a joy this site was to discover. I'm a 44 year old Aussie male. I guess like many here I discovered the joys of Herb Alpert via mum's record collection when I was a little tacker of about 7 years of age. I can remember playing Up Cherry Street on 45 endlessly!!

I've been an avid collector for about 30 years or so and I must say I have had fantastic luck finding Herb Alpert albums, EP's and singles in street stalls, markets, fetes etc - don't think I've payed more than 50 cents for any of 'em!!

Frankly I rate herb Alpert right up there with the best of the sixties artists on a par with the Beatles, Beach Boys, Monkees, Kinks etc. Friends have scoffed at this but it only takes a listen to Whipped Cream or Ninth to convince them otherwise.

Finally, here in Australia about 15 years ago A&M re-released Herb Alpert's Greatest Hits as "Herb Albert's Greatest Hits!!!! Is this true of other countries or a unique Aussie blunder?

Okay, I'll get out of the way now, thanks for listening.

Welcome to the A&M Corner!

To answer your question at the end of your post, there are numerous record labels etc with the "Albert" spelling. The most well-known is probably the LP of the original Tijuana Brass GREATEST HITS, which had "Herb Albert" printed on its spine. But it has never happened on a FRONT cover that I'm aware of...anyone else?

Hey linus, welcome to the Corner. In addition to Mike's mention of GREATEST HITS spine error, I also have a 45 of "Without Her/Sandbox", where the "Sandbox" side has the errant "Albert" spelling.

I have an Australian release from 1991 on CD called STARTRAX, but everything seems to be spelled fine on that one. Was your misspelled album a CD, LP, cassette?

Harry
...ever curious, online...

Welcome to the A&M Corner, Linus. New members are always welcome!

I only know of the GH US misspelling. Where in Australia are you? I spent a little over a month there back in 2001 -- spent in Rockhampton, Gladstone, Cairns, Townesville, Gove and Darwin (the NE quad if you will). You have a terrific country, mate! I hope to make it down there sometime soon!

--Mr Bill

Thanx for the welcome everybody. To address some of your questions:

Mr. Bill, I'm in Melbourne if you get down here I'll buy you a beer or three!

Harry, my mis-spelled album was on vinyl. Sadly I no longer have it, (marriage + kids + mortgage = sell your record collection). I too have the STARTRAX CD and Best Of The Brass Vol II - the ONLY CD's I've found, all spelled correctly.

Mike, I will send a scan of the Greatest Hits cover if and when I find another copy, it's not that rare so I should be able to get another.

Note to self: Check spelling on EP's and singles! By the way in Australia and New Zealand nearly all EP's and singles were released in picture sleeves. Also I notice that some of the Aussie albums have different cover art to those shown in this site's discography - more on this later.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom