• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

New Heart album, JUPITERS DARLING

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Blakesley

Staff member
Since there are some Fleetwood Mac fans here, it stands to reason there are probably some Heart fans too. They just released a new album, JUPITERS DARLING, this week and it's a winner. They have gone back to the way they sounded early on -- grungy rock sound over a bed of acoustic guitars, and they sound more enthusiastic than they have in a lo-o-o-o-ng time. If you're hoping for songs along the lines of "Never" and "These Dreams," forget it. This is real rock'n'roll owing more to their DOG & BUTTERFLY album than anything else.

The CD is on the Sovreign Artists label, and as such it probably won't get prominent placement in the stores, so you might have to search this one out.

The packaging is very cool, too -- tri-fold digipack with a lyric/photo booklet included.

Here is the AMG review... (www.allmusic.com)

In the decade since their last studio outing, Heart's Ann and Nancy Wilson have apparently done some soul-searching and meditating on what made Heart such a great band in the first place. At their peak, they were a powerful, obsessively compelling rock band that could knock off hit singles and consistently fine albums that appealed to album rock radio junkies and studious types. Jupiters Darling is the result of that reflection. It's easily the band's finest moment in over 20 years. Ann and Nancy have gotten their confidence back as bandleaders; the obvious control they exert over these proceedings is one of the album's chief strengths. Guitarist Craig Bartock (who co-produced with Nancy and collaborated as a songwriter on most of these tracks), bassist Mike Inez, drummer Ben Smith, and Darian Sahanaja on keyboards are all wound deep into the Wilsons' sonic tapestry that combines tough, edgy, riff-based guitar rock with textures and motifs from Eastern music, the blues, and psychedelia, à la their influences from Led Zeppelin as well as vintage pop. Over 16 cuts and 62 minutes, Jupiters Darling does not feel overly long; the sheer diversity of its songs and production makes for a wonderfully labyrinthine listening experience. On "Make Me," the acoustic flamenco cum rag blues intro opens out into a rocker that bears the traces of "Crazy On You." Ann's voice opens up the words of a love song that demands resolution. The urgency in the lyric is carried to the edge of the abyss by the triumvirate of guitars. "Oldest Story in the World" has all the grit of "Magic Man," and wrangles out pumped-up riffology. Nancy's country vocal on "Things" feels a bit like Zeppelin's "Going to California," though it's less serious. There's adventure in tracks like "Enough," with its flutes and dulcimers, and "I Need the Rain," with its mandolins, as well as in the engaging radio pop of "The Perfect Goodbye" and the trippy, grungy rock of "Move On." The funky rawness of "Vainglorious" has a smoking refrain. Pearl Jam's Mike McCready joins the band on "I'm Fine," the scorching blues-rocker "Down the Nile," and "Led to One," as does former Alice in Chains guitarist Jerry Cantrell on the grunged-out crunch of "Fallen Ones." Jupiters Darling delivers far beyond expectations; it proves in spades that Heart is a vital and creative rock & roll unit and a force to be reckoned with. ~ Thom Jurek, All Music Guide

Heart is my 4th favorite music group, my favorite is the self titled CD called Heart. I just love These Dreams and What About Love.

I'm a Heart fan as well, though, while I agree that they were a better ALBUM act in the '70s, I definitely like their '80s singles the best. The most UNDERRATED album of theirs is the stripped-down and acoustic THE ROAD HOME; the stripped-down version of "These Dreams" on that album is just STUNNING.

Jeff F.

Hmm, Jeff you might not like the new one then. While I did enjoy those 80s records, I found the '80s music sort of corporate-rock sounding (like Starship, etc.) and have always wished they'd go back to the "old style" where they wrote their own songs and ROCKED OUT. This album does that in spades. But people who like the ballads the best are going to be disappointed.

Sony is reissuing three of the old albums tomorrow, digitally remastered with a bonus track or two each. "Little Queen", "Dog And Butterfly" and "bebe le strange" are all getting upgraded. I'm looking forward to hearing the new "bebe", especially newly remastered versions of "Raised On You" and "Sweet Darlin' ".

Me too. That title tune is one of my favorite Heart songs and also the tune "Rockin Heaven Down" is amazing.

I got my copy of "Jupiters Darling" today, and this album ROCKS! This is the Heart sound that I loved back in high school in the late '70's. I'm going to have to blast this CD on the car stereo, so the kids in the next lane can hear what real rock'n'roll sounds like!

Murray

I've always been a fan of Heart's Dreamboat Annie--had it on vinyl TEN YEARS after it came out. And an 8-Track for playing in the car, then, too! :love:

Bought the rest of their catalog and to me, for some reason, I thought Dog & Butterfly didn't have good sound quality. Bebe Le Strange was a good album, but to me, a bit hard to really grasp. So, Little Queen (their 2nd album) was my 2nd favorite to their debut.

I equally liked the rockers and the ballads; Anne & Nancy Wilson were just as good as 'Acoustical Sirens' as 'Electrical Queens of Rock'.

Haven't really heard anything new since their Self-Titled album in 1986 that of course, was LITERALLY a real Comeback, as far as hits go.

Guess I should give this new one a try, as well as Desire Walks On, which I heard is enjoyable, too.

Dave

..."Taking (and Talking) Heart", online... :love:

DESIRE WALKS ON has some great rock tracks too. The song "Black On Black II" is somewhat like "Barracuda," a real scorcher. But the newer one rocks harder overall. Both of these albums are head and shoulders above the stuff they put out on Capitol in the 1980s, unless you're a "pop music" fan (as opposed to hard rock).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom