• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

New Matt Bianco Recording

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rudy

¡Que siga la fiesta!
Staff member
Site Admin
I received the newest Matt Bianco recording Matt's Mood this past Friday. This release is significant in that the group is actually considering this its second release, since it features the reunion of the original trio of Mark Reilly (vocals), Danny White (keyboards) and Basia (vocals). This version of Matt Bianco release only one album back in 1984, called Whose Side Are You On? (which featured the UK hit singles "Get Out Your Lazy Bed" and the Bossa-drenched "Half A Minute"). Following this album, Danny White and Basia departed to begin recording under her own hame, and Reilly recruited a new instrumentalist to record seven further albums. Now it's 2004 and the original Matt Bianco lineup has reunited and waxed a new recording. In addition, Basia hasn't released a solo recording in over a decade.

My impression so far: this is very much a Matt Bianco recording. If you like Basia, she doesn't sing lead on everything (she's mainly in the lead role for four songs), but her vocals are present throughout: she'll take a chorus (often multitracking her parts), split a few verses with Mark Reilly, add a vocal backdrop to a song, or just add some "scatting" lines here and there. (So, in other words, she's not a guest vocalist on just two or three songs--she's very much a part of the whole project.) Even inside the Matt Bianco framework, a few of the songs are still rooted in the same type of sounds she had on her own recordings. And in fact, you'll find some of the same musicians from Basia's own recordings (Peter White on guitar, for instance). The disc opener "Ordinary Day" could have been lifted right from one of her own recordings. Takes me back to about 15 years ago when I first spun Time and Tide on the way home from Sam's Jams. :)

Not all songs sound like a Basia album: the dark, bluesy "Wrong Side Of The Street" (one of my favorites so far) and "Kaleidoscope" are something I would only expect to find on a Matt Bianco recording. It has what I'd call that certain endearing quirkiness that you won't find on Basia's own recordings. Danny White still does a good job as a "chief architect" in putting all of the sounds together, as Basia and Reilly do all the vocal chores. Checking the credits, Basia, Mark Reilly and Danny White share songwriting and production duties on all tracks, so this is very much a group project. Basia's still in fine voice, too, maybe just a little softer and lower than what you'd hear on the first Matt Bianco album. The late Ronnie Ross (bari sax) is featured here as well; they located three unused solos of his and incorporated them into three new songs on this disc.

How's the sound? No solid impressions yet, as I've mainly heard it in the car, and on a portable system. Mine is the hybrid SACD version, and I've only heard "Ordinary Day" on my good system. On that short sample, I'll give it :thumbsup: :thumbsup: . :) The sound of the redbook layer seems quite good also, and only a very few peaks are clipped off (limited). This one sounds like it has room to breathe, in other words. Nice tonal balance, full bodied...far better than the older Matt Bianco CD I own, which just sounds wonky to my ears. This one's very enjoyable.

So, do I like it? How about an emphatic "yes". :) Would I recommend it to other Basia fans? Definitely. She's featured enough on this album to keep a fan from feeling shortchanged. Not being a follower of Matt Bianco (outside his other recording with Basia), I don't know how it compares to other Matt Bianco recordings. But it does compare favorably to Whose Side Are You On?, perhaps being a little more focused and a little less erratic. Even the group feels this should have been the second Matt Bianco album.

Check out their website for the EPK (electronic press kit) which has a video of Basia, White and Reilly briefly discussing the new album. The radio edit of the first single, "Ordinary Day", is up on the site as well.

http://www.mattbianco.com

Import CD: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00022UTJ8/amcorne-20

Import SACD/CD hybrid: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00023BIGA/amcorne-20

B00022UTJ8.01._PE_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Excellent review, Rudy! I wholeheartedly agree that it's a fantastic album and have been enjoying it for the past week. Basia fans will most certainly be pleased to hear her voice again! :D

It IS good to hear her again. I also like the variety on the disc--a lot of different styles. One of the few good new recordings I've picked up this year so far. :wink:

Footnote: I believe this one is slated for a release in the US in the spring of 2005. It's also on one of Universal's labels. I'm hoping they release the hybrid SACD over here also--I've heard a couple of reports that the surrouond mix on this disc is quite nice. :)

Very exciting to hear it may be released in the U.S.! Considering the popularity of easy-listening artists as Norah Jones and Dido, maybe the time is right for Basia to have a comeback.

I've not gotten into SACD's yet, so I can't really compare them with other discs. What makes a SACD better than, say, a disc remastered from the original master tapes?

Yes, I'd say that Matt's Mood is probably the highlight recording of this year. I rarely buy anything current unless it's a reissue of something older. Lately I've been getting into this really cool group who is very similar to Swing Out Sister/Basia/Matt Bianco called Workshy. They're British but are only well known in Japan. Go figure! :confused: They don't have a new album out this year, but I've been backtracking and collecting their catalogue. Their music fits in just perfectly with the new Matt Bianco. :)

chpoof said:
Very exciting to hear it may be released in the U.S.! Considering the popularity of easy-listening artists as Norah Jones and Dido, maybe the time is right for Basia to have a comeback.

That's similar to a comment the members of Matt Bianco had said also. In fact, they were probably too ahead of their time back in the early 80s. I'm thinking if Matt Bianco could continue making music this good, Basia wouldn't even need another solo run right away!

One other nice thing: this new recording is only about 41 minutes long, 10 songs. In other words, it's not 70 minutes long with eight additional weak filler tracks. It's a nice length.

chpoof said:
Yes, I'd say that Matt's Mood is probably the highlight recording of this year. I rarely buy anything current unless it's a reissue of something older.

That echoes my buying habits lately. Mainly I've been buying SACD reissues of some of my favorites, including some newly out of print titles that are bound to be collector's items in the future. Just got Elton John's Goodbye Yellow Brick Road today, in fact. Otherwise, I've been buying a few CD compilations of artists I'm hearing on XM Radio's 50s channel. Bebel Gilberto also had a new recording come out, so I took the opportunity to buy both of her CDs in one shot. There are a couple of current bands I follow, but overall, I'm buying mainly reissues and compilations.

chpoof said:
I've not gotten into SACD's yet, so I can't really compare them with other discs. What makes a SACD better than, say, a disc remastered from the original master tapes?

I've mentioned it a few times in posts over the past year, but in short, SACD uses a digital technology called DSD (Direct Stream Digital), which is a lot higher resolution than PCM (Pulse Code Modulation) digital used in CDs. DVD-Audio discs use PCM, but can make use of the 24 bit/96kHz sampling rates the recording studios use, so the digital data would not have to be downsampled to 16 bit/44.1khz for CD release. Basically, DSD and 24/96 PCM sound a lot smoother and more analog-like to my ears. The other attraction is that SACD and DVD-Audio both offer 5.1 surround sound in a non-compressed format. (Dolby Digital/AC3 and DTS are compressed data formats.) I don't yet have surround equipment, but I'm anxious to hear some of these surround mixes.

There's a good video interview online here at this Italian website:

http://www.kwmusica.kataweb.it/kwmusica/pp_scheda.jsp?idContent=121257&idCat

Also, I've been listening to this recording just about daily now, and it's uncanny how some of it is sounding like the old, original Brasil '66 recordings, except updated with sounds of today. Very similar mix of jazz, Brazil, and pop IMHO. The range of vocalists Basia and Mark Reilly are about the same as Lani Hall and Sergio Mendes.

I spotted a used copy of this album (UK import, standard CD) when I was out shopping last weekend. Remembering Rudy's glowing review on this forum, I bought it, and am I ever happy I did! :)

This is the BEST album I've heard in the past year. It's an amazing fusion of pop, jazz, and Brazilian, and Basia sounds as good as ever (and Mark Reilly is no slouch either!)

Thanks for bringing the album to our attention Rudy! I wouldn't have known about it otherwise.

Murray
...NP La Luna - Matt Bianco :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I'm surprised more here haven't picked it up: they would have been a natural on A&M.

I wasn't sure when this would get a U.S. release...kind of snuck up on us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom