Non-A&M Reissues...Your Favorites, Your Wish List

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

I would like the Bobby Goldsboro catalog on CD... A British Label actually reissued a few albums of his as Two-Fer's...: Honey and Summer [The First Time], which I think is a good pairing of two excellent and most listenable albums he made in 1968 and 1973, respectively (--Though with two tracks coming from Brand New Kind Of Love, which also deserves reissue: The Title-Track and the popular Johnny Nash song, I Can See Clearly Now) which helps me "replicate" Side 4 of his Tenth Anniversary Album, Double-'Greatest Hits'/'Best Of' set... And It's Too Late, recorded in 1966, which I'm not as enthusiastic about... and Today, recorded in 1969, which really should've been paired with Word Pictures (which came before it) or ESPECIALLY Muddy Missisippi Line (which came after and in REALLY My Favorite, consisting of ALL REMAKES, except for FOUR "originals", including a "re-recorded" Broomstick Cowboy) and unfortunately the Bonus Tracks are the Original version of Broomstick Cowboy, I'm Goin' Home, It Breaks My Heart and If You Wait For Love, all from the ALBUM, Broomstick Cowboy, which should be REALLY Reissued ALTOGETHER...! A Project that too ME seems "Half-Finished" as I take this as a Sign that "More" may NOT Come...

I think the Mac Davis catalog also deserves a shot... Baby Don't Get Hooked On Me and Stop And Smell The Roses (with the last track Good Friends and Fireplaces replaced with four songs from his Casablanca period, when the albums THEY'RE from should also be reissued) are so far all there is to show for (besides the original Greatest Hits and maybe another Compilation, or two...) Collectibles made that one "Two-Fer" set of "Sole Surviviors"...

And Johnny Mathis...; Collectibles, again reissued the complete works of Andy Williams and Ray Conniff and Percy Faith, so ANYTHING'S possible...

Also Mason Williams...; A Collectors Choice project will hopefully someday go in effect, reissuing all FIVE of his Warner Brothers LP's on CD... (Even Though WB DID, long ago, reissue his debut album, Phonograph Record, still In-Print...)

--Even in a "Frankenrecord Format", what else can you think of that you would like on CD??

Dave

[Title slightly changed by Dave, to reflect discussion of non-A&M works that HAVE been reissued, as well as continuation of discussion on non-A&M material still not available on CD...]

[Title slightly changed again by Mike B. to something less...Cryptic?]

Good choice for a topic. I'd like to see the full USA catalog of original Tom Jones and Engelbert Humperdinck LPs from the sixties and seventies be reissued on CD. If you think the Herb Alpert CD situation was pathetic before the Shout! releases, at least some of the most popular TJB LPs got a run on CD briefly in the late eighties. Well NO original Jones or Humperdinck albums have ever been released on CD in the USA with the exception of a live album for each. Both had at least 10 chart-topping LPs during this time period and nothing except a live CD and a gazillion compilation CDs. Though some of these CDs were reissued as two-fers briefly in Japan and Germany, they are not easy to find and somewhat expensive and the track listing does not always match the US LP release. I've seen so many compilations of these two artists, some with the name of an original LP but with different tracks, that I would like to strangle whoever is in charge of their product. I don't think that Tom or Engelbert own their masters, but whoever does, it's high time that their original LP of the sixties and seventies were reissued on CD. For TOM these would be

Heart of Catalog:

IT'S NOT UNUSUAL
WHAT'S NEW PUSSYCAT
A-TOM-IC JONES
GREEN, GREEN GRASS OF HOME
FUNNY, FAMILIAR, FORGOTTEN FEELINGS
TOM JONES LIVE!
TOM JONES FEVER ZONE
HELP YOURSELF
LIVE IN LAS VEGAS
TOM
I WHO HAVE NOTHING

I would consider these albums like the TJB up to THE BEAT OF THE BRASS
Then there were a few more:

LIVE AT CAESAR'S PALACE (ONLY US cd RELEASE )
CLOSE UP
THE BODY AND SOUL OF TOM JONES
SOMETHIN' 'BOUT YOU BABY, I LIKE
MEMORIES DON'T LEAVE LIKE PEOPLE DO

I would compare these albums to the TJB period from WARM to SUMMERTIME

And finally the comeback LP and it's follow up:
SAY YOU'LL STAY UNTIL TOMORROW
DARLIN'

As for Humperdinck:

RELEASE ME
THE LAST WALTZ
A MAN WITHOUT LOVE
ENGELBERT
ENGELBERT HUMPERDINCK
WE MADE IT HAPPEN
SWEETHEART
ANOTHER TIME, ANOTHER PLACE
LIVE AT THE RIVIERA (Only US cd release )
KING OF HEARTS
IN TIME
MY LOVE

Then. like Tom, Engelbert had a comeback with 3 successful LPs:
AFTER THE LOVIN'
THIS MOMENT IN TIME
TILL YOU AND YOUR LOVER ARE LOVERS AGAIN

All of these great albums by Tom and Engelbert need to be reissued on CD! Whoever owns these masters , this project is long overdue!

David,
wishing Tom and Engelbert controlled their masters................

thetijuanataxi said:
...Tom and Engelbert....

That trifecta is NOT complete without Bobby Goldsborough!!! My mom played the three of them so often and in such rotation that it took years for me to learn which was which! Easy enough low, though!

--Mr Bill

Yes, my thoughts on Tom Jones:

GREEN, GREEN GRASS OF HOME -- Very much a "Signature Song" by Mr. Jones... I don't think ANYBODY who or even IF they ever did a remake of this would hold a candle to Tom...

FUNNY, FAMILIAR, FORGOTTEN FEELINGS -- This is a Mickey Newbury song; Tom did a few of them, along with Ray Charles and many, many others...

TOM JONES FEVER ZONE -- I take it here he did Fever; made famous by Peggy Lee, Elvis Presley, et. al.

I, WHO HAVE NOTHING -- Ben E. King and Roberta Flack & Donny Hathaway covered this on Atlantic, and there is even a version by Grand Funk Railroad...

MEMORIES DON'T LEAVE LIKE PEOPLE DO -- This has to have been the song also done by Johnny Mathis... --Yeah, get us singing BOTH along with our CD's...: ...Memories don't leave like people do, they'll always stay with you, whether they've been good or bad, they're never something you once had...

And as for Engelbert Humperdinct:

A MAN WITHOUT LOVE -- Recognize this title? The Sandpipers also sung it in Italian as Quando Mi N' Amoro... And I also hear Humperdinct's version ocassionally... (And was tempted to buy it)

THIS MOMENT IN TIME -- I bought it because Guitarist, John Tropea arranged You're Something Special In My Life, so that had me buying EVERY Engelbert album (just because I thought, although the musicians were uncredited, he'd have played elsewhere on that and some of those other records) done in that period (Produced by Joel Diamond) like THE LAST OF THE ROMANTICS and even bought CHRISTMAS TYME and where this "series (seemingly) ended" with LOVE'S ONLY LOVE and there was one other one where the "series started" which I forgot the name of... (Engelbert is staring through a Broken Glass Window Pane on the back cover...) --Oh, yeah...: Miracles By... is the title! :wink:

Dave

"Fever" was not featured on THETOM JONES FEVER ZONE. The big hit from that album was "Delilah". The album is a showcase of original Tom as well as his signature covers of other artists:

"I Was Made To Love Her"-Stevie Wonder
"Funny How Time Slips Away"-Jimmy Ellidge and Brook Benton
It's A Man's World"-James Brown
"Get Ready"-Temptations
"I Wake Up Crying" which was penned by Burt Bacharach & Hal David
'You Keep Me Hanging On"-Supremes
Hold On, I'm coming"-Sam & Dave

Plus his interpretation of "Danny Boy" alone is worth the price of the album.

David,
next play: Tom Jones Fever Zone

Many Ray Charles album releases have never been re-issued onto the CD format. There was talk once of a 20 cd box set, but that has not materialized yet. I particularly love an album Ray released around 71, called "Love Country Style" a perfect album, all great tunes, impeccably done. He also recorded "Volcanic Action Of My Soul", "Message For The People", etc.

I’d like to see these Peter Nero albums issued on CD:

1) Impressions, The great Songs of Burt Bacharach & Hal David

2) Xochimilco (So-chee-meel’-co)

3) Wives and Lovers

4) Plays a Salute to Herb Alpert & the TJB

Regards,
Mike

I would like for the entire Maynard Ferguson M.F. Horn series to be released. Also the Columbia catalog of Bill Watrous' Manhattan Wildlife Refuge band. Also, the entire PDQ Bach catalog from Vanguard (I can't believe there's little available of this stuff). There's also some missing albums from Blood, Sweat & Tears.

Capt. Bacardi

I was always a fan of Paul Anka in the seventies. I came across a cassette of an album two years ago alled "Listen to Your Heart" that I always liked, bought it of course, and always have wondered why he doesn't remaster his 70s stuff and put it out. then again, his catalog is so "over the map" label-wise...in any case, it's a good MOR listen, if you're not familiar with it...

Paul Anka... '70's:cool:

...This land is your land, this land is my land...

You're right...: He was on RCA, Buddah, United Artists, Columbia...

My favorite album by him will always be The Music Man... And I even discovered a Herb Alpert guest-appearance...: --Playing trumpet on The Painter... --Now see if THAT ever goes on CD, or the way of the '78'...! :love:

Dave :usflag:

My personal wish list is:

(1) The ABC/MCA catalog of Barbara Mandrell
(2) The MCA catalog of Tanya Tucker
(3) The Epic catalog of Charly McClain
(4) The Columbia catalog of Janie Fricke
(5) The RCA catalog of Ronnie Milsap
(6) Mary MacGregor's catalog (Ariola America and RSO)
(7) Debby Boone's Warner/Curb catalog
(8 ) Helen Schneider's two lp's for Windsong Records
(9) Carol Chase's two lp's for Casablanca West & Casablanca
(10) Karen Kamon's "Heart Of You" Columbia lp
(11) Gary Morris' Warner Brothers catalog
(12) Lori Lieberman's "Letting Go" lp on Millennium
(13) Buckingham/Nicks Polydor lp
(14) Suzanne Stevens' Capitol/EMI Canada English language lp's

I would like to see The Lettermen reissued! Capitol (or "under whoever its current ownership is") seems to put out endless Compilations (and licenses the seemingly same material to a number of small-labels) while in particular I would like to see The Seventies-material released, such as Make A Time For Lovin', Love Book and especially my favorites: Spin Away (featuring The Summer Knows, Precious & Few, The Bee Gee's Words and Love Song; by Leslie Duncan, covered by many) and Lettermen 1 (featuring an almost EXACT remake of Three Dog Night's (Just An) Old Fashioned Love Song and That's Enough For Me--both Paul Williams songs and an awesome version of Carly Simon's Anticaipation...) And the albums they made in the Sixties would be nice, too; Poor Side Of Town, My Girl, Spooky, Light My Fire, Windy and Cherish sound just as good by them as by their original artists and others who have copied... I think even as "Two-Fer's", their 'Stuff on CD' should work!!

So far, John Davidson's A Kind Of Hush and Times Of My Life are available on CD; two of his Columbia LP's, made available by Collectibles... I would like to see Well, Here I Am, Going Places (Hmmm...don't know about any "connections" to Herb, on this one...) and especially my favorite, Everything Is Beautiful (where I FINALLY found the original LP, Easy Come, Easy Go is from!!) available on CD...

His 20th Century albums are good, too... One sports a song produced by Hoyt Axton (his Have A Nice Day is on there, but I forgot the LP title; features a remake of both, Neil Sedaka's I Let You Walk Away and Love In The Shadows) and the other I have the vinyl of in my own collection, Touch Me; the kick-off track, I Am Not Yours (You Are Not Mine) is a Killer...: ...I can't go on spending my life with you, I'm just not made that way; There's so many windows I've got to be climbing through, so many places to stay; But sweet thing, when I'm with you, I'm with you all the way-aayy; So open your heart to me open your eyes and listen to what I say......!!!:cool:

Dave

Itzak Perlman and Andre Previn did a couple of albums together back in the late '70's; one was titled A DIFFERENT KIND OF BLUES, and I forget the other...I have ADKOB on vinyl somewhere, but would love to have both on CD. As far as I know, neither are available, and long OOP.

Shelly Manne was on drums, and Jim Hall on guitar, with Previn on piano...I forget who was on bass. I remember ADKOB to be a refreshing jazz abum, with Perlman really sawing away on the violin, with some very tasty improvisations on the blues...

Dan

Nearly ALL of Vikki Carr's LP's are available on CD by the Collectibles label... Packaged as "two-fer's" are both of her Spanish Albums, (which I don't have, so other than ...En Español, the titles escape me...) Superstar / One Less Bell To Answer and Miss America / One Hell Of A Woman... Sadly, the CD packaging lacks the Album Credits (as most Collectibles products) so I was forced to cut the Musician Info off the backs of the LP's and tape them onto the CD booklet... Fun to alternate each track from each different album when I play these discs, though... You can also get her Double-Live set, ...At The Greek on a single disc, too... --Which I don't really have, as my Vinyl copy of that is still OK...

It is actually one more LP, The First Time (Ever I Saw Your Face) that is still yet to be reissued... There are also a number of '45's she made, which after writing to the President of her fan club, Vito Caferro, via eMail he actually sent me a CD he burned them on... (along with a few new songs done in Spanish and even one in Portugese, though those I hardly listen to) I have an EP of 6 songs from one of her Spanish Albums, ...En Español, which came in a cardboard picture sleeve, so I took the cover and got it to fit the Slimline Jewelbox the "burned CD" got sent to me in, with the tracklist he wrote for me taped on the back, while the EP just went in a plain, white 7" '45' sleeve...

Dave

I wonder if any Original albums by B.J. Thomas will ever go on CD? So far there have been enough Compilations of his stuff, that you can get every song he made, HIT-wise... But stuff that was "filler" is also pretty good...

A friend of mine, who owns a record store was fortunate to find a very GOOD copy of the ORIGINAL Billy & Sue on vinyl... And we usually sing the praises of how B.J.'s version of Paul Williams' That's What Friends Are For just blows EVERYONE'S version (including Paul's) right out of the water... The kick-off track on Side 2, A Fine Way To Go (Which was written by Carole King, and originally recorded by Lonnie Mack, features Carole playing piano on Thomas's version, along with her bassist/husband Charles Larkey and drummer, Ronnie Tutt; a very under-rated track!) is a real killer and the rest of that Side, despite some interesting and worthwhile moments, barely follows suit...

Countless LP's B.J. Thomas made, some good, and some almost good; in particular was Songs, Longhorns and London Bridges were favorites of mine from the '70's... And I even saw and played one LP he made, which I never even knew existed, that I saw For Sale at some out-of-the-way Flea Market, with a record store in it... I forgot the title, but I think he made it in 1982, and it features Nick DeCaro and a host of other great studio musicians, which I now feel like going back there after to maybe actaully buy... --IF it's even there and I just got back from there, WITHOUT IT!, so it WASN'T! :cry: :mad: :sad:

Dave

BJ's original RAINDROPS KEEP FALLIN' ON MY HEAD album made a Japanese CD appearance, but it was a long time ago...might be worth a look on Gemm or Dusty Groove or Ebay. I really liked his version of "Suspicious Minds" on that album, way better than Elvis's in my opinion.

Captain Bacardi said:
I would like for the entire Maynard Ferguson M.F. Horn series to be released. Also the Columbia catalog of Bill Watrous' Manhattan Wildlife Refuge band. Also, the entire PDQ Bach catalog from Vanguard (I can't believe there's little available of this stuff). There's also some missing albums from Blood, Sweat & Tears.

MF Horn: slowly but surely! Wounded bird has done the first MF Horn, I believe. The five MF Horns would make a good 3CD box set IMHO. Columbia's the only one who hasn't kept MF's CDs in print.

How about Chase on CD? There's an import, but the price is through the roof.

PDQ Bach, I agree: what's up with the scant CD reissues?

Verve needs to get the rest of the Cal Tjader albums out on CD--typical, they're churning out compilations instead. They did one of his as a two-fer ("Several Shades of Jade" and "Breeze From The East"); there's no reason they couldn't do that with a few others. Also, I'm sure there are a few unreleased tracks that made up the live "Saturday Night/Sunday Night At The Blackhawk" album--that one's very rare.

Dave Clark 5: c'mon already, they blistered up the charts, but they have had only one official CD release. Clark is sitting on the masters supposedly, not willing to release them.

And for that matter, where are the rest of the Steely Dan catalog on SACD? The mixes are done, but the label won't release them.

Rudy said:
How about Chase on CD? There's an import, but the price is through the roof.

The Chase CDs used to be in print - I do have all three, with Ennea and Pure Music as a two-fer. I wasn't too impressed with the remastering jobs on these, but it was better than nothing.

Rudy said:
PDQ Bach, I agree: what's up with the scant CD reissues?

I noticed that there is a box set that has a lot of the original Vanguard stuff, as well as a newer compilation of newer material. But only a couple of the original albums are available.

Rudy said:
And for that matter, where are the rest of the Steely Dan catalog on SACD? The mixes are done, but the label won't release them.

I haven't listened to any of these SACDs yet. Are they worth getting?

Capt. Bacardi

Collectibles need to finished up the late Ray Conniff "Plays The Bee Gees and Other Great Hits"/"I Will Survive" (2 albums on 1 CD) but there is no release date. I would also like to see the late Horst Jankowski catalog on Hip-O Select (all 10 albums 1965-1970 on 5 CD's) including "So What's New". I would also like to see Artful Dodger "Debut", "Honor Among Thieves", "Babes On Broadway" & "Rave On". I would also like to see The Cowsills "On My Side" (1971) & the Hudson Brothers catalog reissued as well. KOCH in Canada reissued The Stampeders "Carryin' On" & "Rubes, Dudes & Rowdies" on CD but some of the songs are on scratchy record not on tape. :mad: The song "Wild Eyes" (from "Carryin' On")is the 1974 version not the original version. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Captain Bacardi said:
The Chase CDs used to be in print - I do have all three, with Ennea and Pure Music as a two-fer. I wasn't too impressed with the remastering jobs on these, but it was better than nothing.

It's the same with other bands I've discovered in the past several years--their CDs were in print back in the mid 80s or early 90s. One rare CD I'd like to get now is Bill Withers' "Watching You, Watching Me". Good luck finding it now! Some of his early albums are out (Still Bill, Carnegie Hall and Menagerie on CD, Just As I Am on DualDisc), but I wasn't into Bill Withers back when the other CD was out.

Captain Bacardi said:
I haven't listened to any of these SACDs yet. Are they worth getting?

If you have the setup for them, yes. :agree: Especially in surround. The Steely Dan and Fagen discs that are out there have a surround mix by Elliot Scheiner. Other discs only have stereo, but if your system resolves well enough, it's about as close to a master tape as you'll get in the home. I bought a Pioneer DV578A for my den system--it's a good, inexpensive universal player. You just need to have analog 5.1 inputs on your receiver to handle it and, of course, the extra speakers as well. I even have a *ahem* non-official version of Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon--it's not the available SACD surround version, but an actual quad mix done by Alan Parsons himself. It sounds fantastic! It's on a DVD-Audio disc as well. Forum rules prevent me from saying anything more about it. :wink:

How could I forget about Ed Ames, Hugo Montenegro, Glen Yarbrough and Rod McKuen?

A few Yarbrough titles on RCA are actually being reissued as two-fer's, but he made a few for Warner Brothers, as well... When I saw him and his (New) Limelighters in Concert and after he signed my Yarbrough Country LP, I promptly told him that I'd like to see it, as well as the other works he made for Warner Bros., such as Let Me Choose Life on CD... His reply: "You Never Know..."

--Seems Promising! :agree:

McKuen's best LP, was Cycles, which he recorded on Buddah; yes, the Gayle Caldwell-title track he covers with expertise, as well as a moving reeindition of Help Me Make It Through The Night, and his own The Ivy That Clings To The Wall (which was playing on the radio in the Guidance Counselor's office, back when I was in college; what station could he have been listening to?) The back cover of Rod in his car is actually the front cover on a CD of his, I think, covering a few songs he mainly made for Warner Bros... I also like one of his Warner Bros. albums, Alone...

And Ed Ames, is someone else whose CD's he DOES have out should be more than just (aside from a couple reissued titles) Compilations...

There are a few Hugo Montenegro Titles out and his albums are so short, they could--or SHOULD--be issued Two-On-One... I would like to see reissues of People / One-On-One, Others By Brothers and Rocket Man make his "Mission Accomplished", as well!

Dave

AM Matt said:
Collectibles needs to finish up the late-Ray Conniff's ...Plays The Bee Gees and Other Great Hits/I Will Survive, (2 albums on 1 CD) but there is no release date...

So 'is it/are they' going to be released? I bought a New Vinyl Copy of ...Plays The Bee Gees and Other Great Hits and it actually had The Oak Ridge Boys Greatest Hits inside!!! :wtf: I've seen yet another Still-Sealed copy, which I feel very hesitant about getting now... :confused:

I Will Survive seems like a good pairing and I wonder if the rather few 80's LP's will ever be released... Not sure what even his most ardent fans would think of his Quasi-Classical/Pop Material on The Perfect 10 Classics "on CD" ever getting out... :o

Dave

...And remember playing ...Plays The Bee Gees and Other Great Hits at the Record Store I worked at over the P.A./Stereo Sound System; the Manager wasn't really too happy...! :baah: :hurl: :mad: :oops: :rolleyes:

Now how did I forget The 5th Dimension?! The Jimmy Webb-produced The Magic Garden, Portrait (with the Bonus '45', On The Beach In The Summertime) got reissued as well as Age Of Aquarius and Stone Soul Picnic (each with a Bonus Single, unreleased or released overseas) and Up, Up and Away (with FOUR Bonus Singles) all got released by Buddah on CD (though a few may have fallen Out-Of-Print) but how long before Love's Lines, Angles & Rhymes, Individually & Collectively, Living Together, Growing Together and Soul And Inspiration (all of which I got NEW vinyl copies of each Last Year) will ever get reissued on CD??

There is a CD which came afterwards containing some Unreleased Live (though rather SLOPPY-SOUNDING Live) and Studio sessions, which I obtained, as well as my double-sided W/L Promo '45' of Love Hangover (Long- and Short-version) and Stock Copy B/W Will You Be There?, all on CD and another '45' on Bell Flashback and Diggin' For A Livin' (the latter of which has a few Classic Mike Deasy guitar lines, reminiscent of their 'Early Sound'...!) which all-in-all should hopefully be (or will be) a future-Collectibles reissue Product...

Collectibles has made a "redundant" 10-track Greatest Hits--Up, Up and Away set, which compared to the Bigger & Better sets--like a 2-Disc-set, or two, is rendered useless, but hopefully a sign SOMETHING Promising may come true, for REAL! :|

Dave

Hi, A&Mers:

I'd really like the reissue of a single by Argentinian rock singer Miguel Mateos (his recording company was RCA/Ariola), which contains a song called "Es tan fácil romper un corazón" (it's so easy to break a heart). I adore this song, but it's hard to find nowadays! YOPONG YOPONG!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom