• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

OFFERING/TICKET TO RIDE: Another Perspective

Status
Not open for further replies.

W.B.

Thinking of the history of certain record albums, I couldn't help but wonder about the transformation of the Carpenters' debut LP, Offering, into Ticket to Ride, besides that which has already been established elsewhere.

But to me it's interesting that this change came nearly a year after another LP on another label underwent another title and cover change. Around 1970 Johnny Cash & June Carter's duet album from 1967, Carryin' On with . . . (Columbia CS 9528), became Jackson, the song for which they won a Grammy in 1968. The original cover had a noticeably emaciated- and skeletal-looking Man in Black outdoors with June (and also showed up as the official cover of the 2002 CD reissue thereof); the later one had a more filled-out (as opposed to pilled-out) Cash on guitar while the missus was performing on a black background (as shown on the next-to-last page of the booklet of same CD). And later in 1972, another change took place when Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes' first Philadelphia International LP I Miss You (KZ 31648) had the front cover pic revamped and title changed to Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes, Featuring: If You Don't Know Me By Now and I Miss You.

And a few cases of Motown LP's being overhauled: Marvin Gaye's 1968 LP In the Groove's title change to I Heard It Through The Grapevine upon the success of that song, and Smokey Robinson & The Miracles' Make It Happen {1967} changed after 1970 to The Tears of a Clown.

Do any of you know of other similar instances of album title and cover changes?

The obvious one that springs to mind for me is the very first ABBA album.

The original version released, I believe, had Ring Ring in Swedish on it, and the cover credit bore the unwieldy 'Agnetha, Bjorn, Benny & Anni-Frid'. After the success of Waterloo, and Stig Anderson's decision to arefer to them using the initials of their name, they took away the Swedish track and revamped the cover to spell out simply 'ABBA'.

Stephen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom