• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Official Web site dormant

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAZZ4JEFF

For quite a few months now, the official Carpenters web site (richardandkarencarpenter.com) has been dormant. There has been no new information, no new "fans ask", and no changes. In fact, the September 20th scholarship concert is still posted on the home page.

Is it still active? I loved the direction they were going and the fan involvement was terrific. I hope they continue in the future.

I think we're in a "lull" in the Carpenters world. The biggest thing on the horizon seems to be the Japanese release of the singles collection coming up sometime this fall.

Meantime, if you haven't gotten it, I highly recommend that ULTIMATE COLLECTION from Holland featuring all of the Carpenters hits in their original album mixes. It came out back in the spring, and features a bonus disc of a few of their solo tracks.

Harry

I sent an email a little more than 1 month ago and never got a response which is odd because the first time I sent an email I got a response within a week or 2.

It does seem really odd that most of the site has not been updated for a long time. The memorial section for Karen has the same info when it first appeared. Surely Richard has some never before seen photos to "celebrate" Karen's life that he could upload for the memorial section. There is so many great ideas that could be used for the site.

It would also be nice just to let the fans know that the site will not be updated for awhile (like insert whatever the situation is).

Chris, thanks for letting us know that you received no reply to your e-mail. I was going to send one to Richard on this Sunday, his birthday (60th?). Now how are we supposed to let him know that we wish him well? I guess we'll have to depend on snail mail. But it can't possibly get there in time ...

Marilyn,
who's not happy at all about this situation!

MIKE B.- I think Richard finished his Christmas album a few years ago! He just doesn't have a label to release it(to my current knowledge).

What happened to the Christmas album? We thought it was going to be released last Christmas and now it's only a few months till Christmas 2006. Is there any chance we will have this release for 2006?

I was looking forward to hearing this new project but it seems like it's a no go. I have heard, "Together at Christmas Again" great heartwarming vocals from Richard, really tugs at your heartstrings with subtle references that make you think of Karen and Richard like it use to be.

Mr J - Richard is still signed to A&M, and they have released so many compilations over the past few years, I'm sure they would jump at the chance to release a new Christmas album from Richard.

Chris - I was hoping for this year, but am beginning to doubt it will happen now. Most of the major Christmas albums for this year have been announced already. Many are already out! So unless a major "November Surprise" is in the offing, I'd bet not this year...unfortunately.

Richard is committed to finishing the album for 2007 release. This has not been on the top of his "priority" list. He did have some momentum last year with it, as Becky would continually ask him "Do you want me to book the singers?"..."Do you want me to book the studio?", as his answer was often times..."No, there's no time for that". Most likely we'll see something finally by next fall. Like he says, "I release an album every 10 years whether I need to or not".

It certainly is a shame that the website may end up committed to the cyberspace void! It was a great link between Richard and the fans. Never mind, at least we still have the P.O. Box address.

x

MIKE B.-Richard isn't with the original A&M label,because it doesn't exist anymore!When Universal purchased Polygram(A&M's parent) in 2000,they dissolved A&M records and fired the entire A&M staff.(I believe they also sold the A&M lot in hollywood).Universal did subsequently form a new subsidiary label,IGA(Interscope-Geffen-A&M),and they did sign a few artists that had current A&M contracts at the time(Sheryl Crow,Bryan Adams,etc.)It's possible that Richard signed with IGA as a solo act,but that has no relation to the Carpenters A&M catalog.Universal has issued several Carpenters compilations since 2000 solely based on K&R's catalog sales figures.A record label can release compilations whether or not the artist has a current label contract-the label owns the master tapes.

I'm sorry, but you are just wrong on this. Richard owns his masters and can do whatever he wants with them. Anything UMG does has to have his approval. It's true that A&M is not a stand-alone label anymore, but it's still the label to which Richard is signed.

It's very likely that there are minimum sales figures attached to each release, and if the album does not meet those figures, the label has the option of deleting it from the active catalog. This is probably why some of the Carps albums have been deleted recently. (But it doesn't mean the albums won't ever come out again.)

mr J. said:
...When Universal purchased Polygram (A&M's parent) in 2000, it dissolved A&M records and fired the entire A&M staff... (I believe it also sold the A&M Lot in Hollywood)

Yes, the A&M Lot had been sold and is still under the Ownership of Jim Henson's Estate, existing to this day as Henson Recording...
kermit.gif

If only we could get it running again under the "Former A&M Moniker"...

--Anyone up to it, here...?!
crowded.gif

Dave
17_wink.gif

In actuality, the artists with A&M contracts were moved over to Interscope (the Island signees went there too). For whatever reason, A&M exists essentially as a name plate now. There is an A&R guy there (Ron Fair if you're curious) but the label is, for all intents and purposes, powered by Interscope. That label owns the Black Eyes Peas, the Pussycat Dolls, and Keisha Cole. For whatever reason, Richard Carpenter is also still a signee though I have no idea how that works.

Geffen has almost nothing to do with any of this. Geffen took on MCA's roster (er...what it wanted of it) and it functions pseudo-independently of Interscope if I'm not mistaken.

Ed

Albums come, albums go. Carpenters are in a slow period as there's been nothing new and exciting, really, since the SACD release. It's natural that Universal would drop the lesser-selling albums for awhile.

I have no doubt that they'll be back someday, in some form. There'll be some movie that come along and use a song or two in its soundtrack, which will start yet another generation discovering the wonderful music that Richard and Karen made during their career. And when that generation can't get enough with what's out there, Universal, or whoever owns THEM, will end up re-releasing the missing albums, be it on CD or downloads, or whatever's fashionable at that point in time.

Meanwhile, there's always the Japanese, God bless 'em, who always seem to have whatever anyone wants, in print, at any given moment - especially with Carpenters.

Harry

MIKE B.- Sorry to dissapoint you,but Universal(unfortunately) owns all of the Carpenters master tapes,as well as the master tapes of every other A&M artist.If Universal didn't own them,then they would have to license the master tapes from Richard in order to distribute the albums(as well as pay him licensing fees),and I guarantee you that is not the case.A&M always had complete ownership since K&R signed in 1969.A special clause in their 1976 renewal contract,however,gave K&R creative control over each release and prohibited A&M from releasing any material without their permission.That contractual clause has continued through to this day,and it accounts for why Richard is involved with every new compilation(remixes,liner notes,etc.)If you really want complete assurance about this matter,you could just write Richard and ask him,or you could write or call Universal's legal department in New York.

Well OK then, I guess I stand sort of corrected. I should have said, "Richard CONTROLS his masters." The company may own the reels of tape, but if Richard has complete control over releases, and controls what packages do and don't get released, and controls the liner notes, artwork, etc. then the effect is pretty much the same as if he owned them. So apparently the only thing he can't do is put a record out on another label. You can bet that if A&M (Universal) wanted to sever ties with him, he'd start taking steps immediately to acquire the masters, like Herb Alpert did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom